NEWS

Humanoid drone

• 54 Replies

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <12-17-12/1131:13> »
How does a Drone handle Weapons which it holds in his hands?
(assuming you're talking about AI-rigged drones) Without any rules to address this, the way weapon mounts have... like anyone else holding a gun. (why not?)

Quote from: RC, Realignment and Restoration
An AI can only be destroyed under three circumstances.
-First, if its home node is shut down while the AI is present and in the process of realigning, it is slain.
-Second, the AI is killed if the node in which an AI is running or trapped is physically destroyed.
-Third, the AI is destroyed if attribute loss from Matrix damage over ow reduces one of its Mental attributes to zero.
It makes AIs with wireless disabled quite vulnerable.

I can find no mentioning in the rules where it has anything to say, that you can run cyberlimbs (attached to your body) as drones, or how to handle these.
I can find no clue wheresoever that this is possible...
Purchase / Pirate / Program pilot software dedicated to running cyberlimbs. Are they now sensor-less drones?
Install a cyberweapon, mod the weapon with a pilot program . Can it move your cyberarm on it's own?
The answers aren't written anywhere.

So it is on my list of things I wish to have for Shadowrun... (better rules for: possession, biodrones, hacked cyberlimbs, and rules at all for building vehicles/drones from scratch, and hacking/controlling move by wire systems)
This I can agree with. Personally, just bringing the standard of rigging / awakened / matrix / technomancy assistance down to roughly equal levels in differing fields.
« Last Edit: <12-17-12/1301:05> by Novocrane »

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <12-17-12/1248:50> »
The reason many are dismissive of all this is because you don't try and learn the rules  as they are now then attempt to do things within them as much as possible.  Or adapt them to your goals.   Instead you start out from a position of not knowing them, then making up a whole bunch of things you feel you should be able to do.   Then attack anyone who is critical of your attempt at making up house rules without even knowing the game system first.

Example: which you show your ignorance/unfamiliarity with the rules.  There are rules for a drone holding weapons or other tools in it's mechanical hands.   I pointed out the skill to you on page 102 of arsenal and you ignored it.  Just as you ignore that drones and characters use different sets of stats.  The same way that you attempt to kitbash your frankensteins monster by taking one of the best out of drones, then replacing it's two robotic legs with with two more cyberlegs and somehow this is no longer a drone subject to all the normal drone limits.  Depending on your GM the catchall gunnery skill may no longer be used but you may need the individual wepons skill for each held weapon (held weapons are NOT vehicle mounted weapons).

You don't like my answers, fine.  What you don't understand is that you're just parroting old stuff many others have spewed forth before without addressing any of the problems that come up.   Most of your things also cause a large power creep in the game as well.   You don't even start to address how to touch that.  You don't need to break the rules or make a special exception for you and you alone to make your character unique and special.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <12-17-12/1341:39> »
  I pointed out the skill to you on page 102 of arsenal and you ignored it.  Just as you ignore that drones and characters use different sets of stats.
This conversation is about drones, AI-rigged drones, the "Frankenstein's monster" of an AI-rigged bundle of cyberware, and the same without organic body parts. The section on dice pools, pilot programs and mechanical limbs applies to the first one. I could point out things you're ignoring just in that quote, from this thread. Where's the mud slinging going to lead, but for a lot of mud laying around?

Page 102.  mechanical arms and legs... makes it clear that handling is involved in any tests here and reflects the drones agility and reaction!
... No. No it doesn't. It makes it clear that un-rigged drones don't use the same dice pools as rigged drones. But we already knew that. Pointing to page 102 like it's a defining part of your argument isn't going to solve anything.

Handling is a dice pool modifier, not a physical attribute or representation of multiple physical attributes.
« Last Edit: <12-17-12/1353:46> by Novocrane »

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <12-17-12/1504:49> »
It makes it dead clear that for tests involving the mechanical arms on a drone handling is used as an additional modifier.   Also instead of gunnery... you use skill.   (people always forget autosofts are keyed to  skill... not gunnery (hence why heavy weapons and automatics have different skill autosofts).

The handling is always used as an additional dice pool modifier.   This same modifier is used for piloting tests, defense tests, attack tests, stealth tests against perception... etc.   Pretty much everything that would normally be an agility or reaction linked skill.   Think that's a pretty good case that it's a vehicular attribute and that the best case that can be made is that a vehicles agi/rea is a derived attribute from multiple vehicle attributes (just like initiative is a derived attribute for normal players).

The entire reason for this thread is because you want something that can be mistaken for human, but with none of the human frailties.   That's why this is so problematic.   So you're hellbent on making up house rules addressing an idea which has been brought up at least once a year in multiple SR forums over the years... and always shot down because of all the problems it causes once people start looking at all the unintended consequences.  Which you conveniently ignore and dismiss (such as the fact that there are rules for drone's using normal tools in full mechanical arms).  And that the rules address by pointing out to the GM that he may allow some cyberarm accessories to be installed in mechanical arms.

You claim 150k for a drone is good... when lets put this in chargen terms... one assuming the avail is low enough (look at the mitsuhama realistic cyborgs avail numbers and costs for a fraction of your performance).   150k is only 30BP of starting resources!  Only 30BP... enough for a real character to raise 3 of his 4 physical stats BY ONE POINT.   Yet you don't see how this is problematic, being able to buy all your stats with no essence limitations or problems.

You also ignore that there are other routes to the same ends... (get a rating 6 loyalty hobo... install a stirrup interface in him out of your starting cash... then ride the walrus).    Also I'd suggest installing a commlink in him as your home node... then rig the hobo... that way if the hobo dies you still live on to find a new hobo to install all the secondhand 'ware into!  There now your AI has a perfectly realistic, humanoid drone to use.   Which meshes neatly into the rules and doesn't break any of them.  (-1 penalty to your actions while rigging... but as an AI you can't take physical or stun damage... so biofeedback means nothing to you... and you don't suffer the 'double damage' problem that a normal human would have if he tried to rig his own body or another body).

Drones have only a few attributes.
Accel: which is equivalent to walk/run speeds for people in combat turns.
Speed: used for chase combat
Body:  almost the same as for people...   vehicles can have up to 2x this in armor max... they take penalties for accel & speed if they mount more than their body score though.  Drones can have up to 3x their body score with the same limitation because they can't take passengers.
Armor: see above, this is vehicular armor not personal armor
Handling: this is a vehicle attribute, not merely a dice pool modifier.
Response: how fast the hardware is... limits pilot.  Used as a weak catchall for many attributes (if rigged for example it's the drone's defense...  response + HANDLING... IE: the combination of the drones processing speed and it's mobility effectively becomes it's reaction attribute.
Pilot: the drone's operating system... specialized system for running the drones.  the only systems capable of running..
Autosofts:  Skills for drone pilots.

Corgano

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <12-17-12/1725:48> »
And as autonomous programs they can run on a drone and disable wifi...
If you have a Cyborg which is hacked by an AI it can control the Cyborgs body disable wifi and act exactly like the cyborg could in all relations (except for the magic 1 scroe which it doesn't have).

If you have a human Body, wihtout the Human inside, which you now say is a drone, You are giving an AI a Bod which consists purely out of money (no karma/BP) can be built/bought/disposed of as gear dosn't restrict the AI in any way but essentially gives it the ability do get rid of the prime disadvantage of not having a physical Body...

... and that's different from an AI that takes over a Cyborg body how exactly? It seems to me that a drone made of cyberlimbs doesn't really change anything when it comes to AI's. Instead of taking over an Anthroform Cyborg it can now take over a Cyberbody. Where is the big difference, especially in regard to your argument that the body and its attributes are made purely out of money?

I've read your entire post (thanks by the way for all the work you put into writing it. I really appreciate it!) but I have found only one argument against a Cyberbody-drone that wouldn't also apply to Cyborgs combined with an AI. And this 1 point isn't game breaking and based on a rule that made no sense in the first place (see below for details).

the main problem I was refering to is:
... while it is a Drone (no stun damage) while it is a full sized Street sam.
Actually, I would put it exactly the other way around: Because the drone is made of cyberlimbs and cyberlimbs do take stun damage, the cyberdrone will take stun damage as well. Otherwise a cyber zombie street sam wouldn't take any stun damage if for example an aimed shot hit one of his cyberlegs but didn't penetrate the armor. But we all know he does.

And of course 8+9/2 +6(each body limb adds 1) means it has 19 physical damage boxes.
Yes, this actually is an advantage of a cyberbody compared to an anthroform cyborg body. It's also a rule that make no sense in the first place. A cyberlimb with the same body as the natural body is not thougher than the natural body. And a cyberlimb that has a higher body than the natural body already increases the damage boxes by increasing the average body value of the whole body. To add one box to the condition monitor for every cyberlimb makes no sense and is a rule that was probably created to increase the usefulness of cyberlimbs and to give it something you can't get with bioware or body armor.

PS.: If the AI is in a Cyborg body or a Cyberbody, all you need to do to kill it is to get your hands on a couple disposable Jammers and thereby prevent it from connecting to the matrix BEFORE killing its body.

PPS.: You don't need an AI + cyberbody to create a character with good physical attributes but who hasn't spent a single BP or Karma on any physical attribute. Just take a regular Human with BO 1, AG 1, and ST 1 and replace both arms and legs with cyberware, implant a move-by-wire level 1 and invest 190 BP in Reaction, all mental attribute and edge. You will end up with a char that has BO 6, AG 6, RE 6, St 6, IN 5, CH 5, LO 5, WI 5 and ED 6. And later on during the game you can upgrade your physical attributes even further by installing more and better cyberware, without investing a single point of Karma in physical attributes.

Falconer's answer to Novocrane's post :
[...] The entire reason for this thread is because you want something that can be mistaken for human, but with none of the human frailties.[...]
Uh,,, it was me who created this thread and who wants to create a cyberdrone, not Novocrane...

Btw.: I will adress your post in its entirety tomorrow.
« Last Edit: <12-17-12/1727:33> by Corgano »

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <12-17-12/1840:14> »
This is incorrect... cite me anywhere in the rules which states that a cyberlimb takes stun.   I don't believe you can.  If it does take stun... how does it 'heal' it.  Remember stun reflects bruising and heals at a rate measured in points per hour once you can rest for an hour.   You starting to see other cans of worms you're getting into now?

More correctly... once the cyberlimb is implanted damage to the limb is translated to the host who paid essence to incorporate it as part of them.   Though it is possible to do a called shot to affect cyberware and only cyberware if the GM thinks this is apt (this is covered under the called shot rules and encourages the GM to make up events as he sees fit by RAW).   Augmentation surgical and implant repair rules even reinforce this point by citing it as an example.   The host is made tougher in fact... this is reflected by the +1 physical damage box per cyberlimb.  Note it doesn't affect the stun track at all.

Stun is only meaningful to living/magical entities.   The only place stun damage ever interacts with objects elsewise is the explosions in confined spaces... which doesn't care of the damage is stun or physical it still blows things open/apart if you toss a big explosion in a small space.

You also miss the point... the point of a realistic drone is that people don't know it is a drone.  They think it's just a hacker with an embedded commlink or the like.   How are they supposed to know they need jamming to trap the AI unless they know it's an AI?  Even then if you stuff the AI in a commlink instead of inside the drone itself then have it control the drone from the commlink... if the drone gets shot up your commlink ride is still ok and can patiently wait until the jammer goes away.   Hell all it takes is a peripheral plugged into a datajack or skinlink to escape.  (hide in the smartgun anyone?).

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #36 on: <12-17-12/2152:48> »
Just buy a damn Otomo and be done with it.

Sheesh.

-k

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <12-17-12/2215:28> »
Also instead of gunnery... you use skill.   (people always forget autosofts are keyed to  skill... not gunnery (hence why heavy weapons and automatics have different skill autosofts).
Why do you keep pointing to this? Who is it for? Go back to my replies to thrass. It also goes on to point out how easy it is to get software.

Isn't an option at chargen.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <12-17-12/2218:40> »

Sheesh.

-k

Would even Restricted Gear give enough availability for that thing? (Don't feel like looking right now)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <12-17-12/2226:47> »
It's Av: 24 ... so no.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <12-17-12/2237:42> »
As someone who is currently playing a "drone" character in the official Missions campaign, which is even more restrictive than most GMs...

Start out with a manservant modified to look human.

Buy the Otomo later during play after saving up enough cash.

The manservant will suck in the speed department but otherwise can shoot a gun as well as any drone. Later, the Otomo will be death on two legs, and you will have much of the support gear for the drone already.

-k

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <12-17-12/2301:57> »
Do Missions allow for similar models? Almost no reason to take a Manservant, if you can get an Orderly.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <12-17-12/2335:05> »
Missions does, and in fact my specific character did use an Orderly, but not everyone knows what that is, which is why I usually say "manservant" as it's better known.

-k

Corgano

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <12-18-12/0946:31> »
This is incorrect... cite me anywhere in the rules which states that a cyberlimb takes stun.

1. The rules state that if a character receives damage from an attack and his armor rating is equal or higher than the damage value, then any damage he suffers (after the resistance test) is stun damage.   
2. Nowhere in the rules does it say that this rule doesn't apply to a character with a cyberlimb (or an entire cyberbody). Ergo even a Cyberzombie can suffer stun damage.
3. The stun damage he suffers has nothing to do with the pain. Because even if you cut of the sensory imput from a cyberlimb, it only prevents the modifiers but not the damage (AU p.33). Ergo it is the cyberlimb itself that suffers the stun damage.

If it does take stun... how does it 'heal' it.  Remember stun reflects bruising and heals at a rate measured in points per hour once you can rest for an hour.
Cyberlimbs do have limited self-repair capabilities because of the maintenance nanites in the cyberware. I remember that it was described like that in SR3. Even highly augmented runners (with complete cyberbody) heal both stun damage and physical damage, even though most of the damage they received necessarily had to damage the cyberlimbs and not the little remaining flesh. Only if a runner receives a lot of damage at once does a chance exist that the cyberware is critically damaged and has to be repaired manually (rules for critical damage see AU).

You also miss the point... the point of a realistic drone is that people don't know it is a drone.  They think it's just a hacker with an embedded commlink or the like.   How are they supposed to know they need jamming to trap the AI unless they know it's an AI?
All it takes is a mage (or spirit). Assensing will immediately reveal that it's not a living being.

Even then if you stuff the AI in a commlink instead of inside the drone itself then have it control the drone from the commlink... if the drone gets shot up your commlink ride is still ok and can patiently wait until the jammer goes away.   Hell all it takes is a peripheral plugged into a datajack or skinlink to escape.  (hide in the smartgun anyone?).
1. If the A.I: hides in any sort of tech inside or near the drone, it can also be destroyed, especially if the drone is attacked by weapons or spells that affects an area.
2. Even if the A.I. somehow survives and escapes, so what? It has just lost hundereds of thousands of Nuyen worth in equipment. A good cyberbody is expensive! So it's rather unlikely that the A.I has a spare body lying around somewhere or that it can buy a new one in the short term.

Ok. and now my reply to your other post:

The handling is always used as an additional dice pool modifier.   This same modifier is used for piloting tests, defense tests, attack tests, stealth tests against perception... etc.   Pretty much everything that would normally be an agility or reaction linked skill.   Think that's a pretty good case that it's a vehicular attribute...
No, not really. You've said it yourself: It's a modifier. A modifier is a modifier and not an attribute. Handling it is nothing more than a simple way to differentiate between different drones with the same basic attributes but different shape and sizes.

The entire reason for this thread is because you want something that can be mistaken for human, but with none of the human frailties.   That's why this is so problematic. So you're hellbent on making up house rules addressing an idea which has been brought up at least once a year in multiple SR forums over the years...
You call it problematic. I call it the very essence of the game. Shadowrun is all about playing a character who is capable of doing things regular human beings can't do. As a player of SR you always try to grow your characters abilities and to reduce his weaknesses in order to impove his odds of survival and success. And in most cases you do it by buying additional gear and gadgets and using them in creative ways. And that's exactly what this thread is all about.

You're talking about making up house rules as if it was a bad thing or at least a very strange thing to do, even though the SR rules are made up in a rather loose fashion with many, MANY unregulated areas and unadressed questions that force every gamemaster to make up house rules all the time (whether he writes them down or creates them spontaneously when a player wants to do something that isn't covered by the rules is irrelevant)! There are several instances in the rule books where even the creators of those books suggest to the gamemaster, that he should rely on his gut feeling or common sense if he is confronted with something the rules don't cover. Relying on common sense is just another term for creating house rules.

You claim 150k for a drone is good... when lets put this in chargen terms... one assuming the avail is low enough (look at the mitsuhama realistic cyborgs avail numbers and costs for a fraction of your performance).
The only reason those cyborgs cost so much, even though they aren't quite as good as a cyberbody (or Novocrane's upgraded Orderly drone) is simply because of the CCU (the brain in a jar). Remove the CCU and you would have a drone that, while you're "jumped in", would have the same stats but cost only a fraction of what the complete Mitsuhama cyborg costs (my guess is maybe 10-15k Nuyen).
On the other hand: If you integrate a CCU into a cyberbody, you would end up with a cyborg drone that costs around half a million credits, but which would have the stats of the cyberbody.

Besides: Those Mitsuhama cyborgs don't perform as badly as you insinuated. According to the rules in Augmentation, p.159 , the "Otomo cyborg" for example (if controlled by an A.I. with Aptitude in "Pilot Groundvehicle") would have:
- Body 6
- Agility 10  (Pilot Groundvehicle (Anthroform) 7(9) + Handling 1)
- Reaction up to 11 (depending on the response of the commlink +2 point upgrade)
- Strength 6  (= Body)

An A.I. in such a cyborg body could eventually have "Automatics (Assault Rifle) 16(18)" +2D6 from Smartgun, and "Dodge (Ranged Combat) 17(19)". Add up to 21 personal armor (or 18 vehicle armor +10 smart armor) to it without losing any agility, and you have an A.I. with a very resilient and agile body.

150k is only 30BP of starting resources!  Only 30BP... enough for a real character to raise 3 of his 4 physical stats BY ONE POINT.   Yet you don't see how this is problematic, being able to buy all your stats with no essence limitations or problems.

1. An A.I. is more vulnerable within a physical body (see my last post).
2. It's not as if it isn't already possible to significantly increase all physical attributes by only investing a couple of BP's. An elven mage with B:1/A:2/R:1/S:1 could for example shapechange into a human with B:7/A:7/R:7/S:7 and then sustain the spell with a sustaining foci. Or he could let himself become posessed by a power 6 spirit, thereby increasing his attributes.
3. As you've described in your post, it is already possible for a Rigger to rig another human by stirrup interface. If he uses a specially grown or trained Type-O clone body (one with all physical stats at 6) instead of a Hobo, and in addition to the stirrup interface implants some standard bioware (like muscle toner) into it, then the rigger is also able of walking around in a body with very good physical attributes, while paying far less BP's for it than it would have cost him to improve his own body's natural physical attributes.

With all that in mind I'm curious why you are so hellbent on fighting the idea of a cyberdrone. After all it only allows the player to do something with rigging and cyberware, which he could already do by other means.
« Last Edit: <12-18-12/1051:03> by Corgano »

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <12-18-12/1216:11> »
Let's just go with it for a moment:
You want 2 Legs, 2 Arms,1 Torso and 1 Head which adds up to
2+2+1.5+0.75 => 6,25 Essence

Since you can't get a Syntethic Cyberskull you can either go Synthetic limbs and apply a Mask to the Head or just go full Synthetic and get a fully body Suite...
let's go with Synthethic...
You therefore need to get at least an Alphaware Torso to make it happen
2+2+1.2+0.75 => 5.95 Essence
This costs:
30k+30k+40k+10k =>110k Nuyen
Now we want 8 points of customization on 4 implants which is 8*1.5k*4 => 48k
And we can't customize the torso and can get 4 points of customization on the head since we are taking restricted gear anyways...
4*1.5k => 6k
Adding to 164k Nuyen
for a 6/6/5/3 Shell without Sensors (a cyberskull has no eyes and ears, therefore no balance module etc. FYI)

You can have an Otomo for 150k with a Body 6 (which is basically all it's physical attributes) and a sensor 3 module, with mimic included and way less hazzle with the rules...

Except for the availability...
It will on all terms be easier to get any GM to agree buying an Otomo with restricted gear while being ok with passing on the cyborg adaption (which is 15k and therefore 10%)
Then to create the houserules necessary to play the Cyberlimb shell. (What happens to stun damage... etc.) Or for those people that insist the rules are there... to agree on every single rule interpretion, because they are debatable.

You know what is even easier?
Get an appropriate 6/6 contact, loan equipment from him (for 150k) get an otomo... This one is missions compatible and everything... (though I don't know if AIs are)
Then try making a deal with him to pay him back instead of giving back the Otomo... (like buying on credit)
You just paid 12BP on a Contact you can use and got what you needed.
But maybe need to wait for the 2nd run to get your precious item, your contact probably needs time to get you a 150k/24R item.
Speech - Thought - Matrix
Characters: Andy - Andys rolls