NEWS

Dual-natured light (Lucifer Lamp)

• 4 Replies

Corgano

• Newb
« on: <11-29-12/0114:12> »

According to the description of the Lucifer Lamp (Arsenal p.66) it seems possible (given a well equipped workshop, some very competent scientist, engineers and mages) that a device could be created that focusses the dual-natured light into synchronized lightwaves of the same wavelength... or as it's also know: a LASER.   8)
If my assumption is correct, then all that would be necessary to construct a dual-natured weaponized laser that would allow mundane soldiers to attack spirits and projecting mages even on the astral plane, is some research, some engineering, some Orichalcum and a lot of power.

My question is: Do you think it is theoretically possible (at least for a AAA corporation like Ares) to construct such a weapon? And if your answer is no, please explain why. Thanks!  :)

RythmnSylver

• Newb
  • Chaos Gold
« Reply #1 on: <11-29-12/0400:01> »
[spoiler= Arsenal Page 66]Lucifer Lamp: In 2066, metaphysicists discovered that a
modulated electrical current introduced through a filament laced
with orichalcum causes the filament to shed dual-natured light,
illuminating both the physical and astral planes. Physical and astral
solids both block dual-natured light, causing unusual shadows on
the physical and greater definition on the astral. Lucifer lamps
(available as flashlights, lanterns, vehicle headlights, and signal
beacons) make excellent additions to magical security setups and
as a form of astral communication via semaphore.
Th e light given off by a Lucifer lamp is dim on the physical,
but sufficient for characters with low-light vision to see by.
Characters in areas lit by a Lucifer lamp receive +2 Astral Visibility
modifier (see p. 114, Street Magic) and a +2 Perception Test modifier to notice magic (see Noticing Magic, p. 168, SR4). Activated
Lucifer lamps tend to attract wild spirits (see p. 110, Street Magic);
what effect this has, if any, is left up to the gamemaster.
Lucifer lamps burn hot and have limited lifespans; more
expensive bulbs last longer.[/spoiler]

Given the fact that the Current has to already be Modulated And it burns itself out so fast, I highly doubt and I mean HIGHLY doubt it'd be possible with current shadowrun Tech.. If you want offensive magic Gear for Mundanes i'd look into Smoke Grenades that also Dispense a Cloud of FAB III. in most cases unles they know it's in the smoke you can catch most things offgaurd and the FAB won't attack mundanes
~'~~,~'~~,~~{@}~~'~~~,~'~~

Corgano

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-29-12/1238:45> »
Given the fact that the Current has to already be Modulated And it burns itself out so fast, I highly doubt and I mean HIGHLY doubt it'd be possible with current shadowrun Tech..
I don't quite understand how the electrical current being modulated would prevent the dual-natured light from being transformed into a Laser.  ???
And as the spoiler text explains, it is possible to make Lucifer light bulbs that last longer.

Just to be clear: I'm not asking whether such a dual-natured laser weapon would be efficient. I'm only asking whether or not it could be done.  ;)

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-29-12/1557:42> »
The Lucifier Lamp brings up a lot of questions.  Is it producing astral light* along with normal light, or is it giving off actual dual-natured photons/waves? 

The description does say that it gives off unusual shadows.  However the lamp only gives you a bonus to see things you can already see on the physical plane (Arsenal 66 & SR4A 179).  While a Lucifier Lamp makes it easier to notice someone casting a spell or summoning a spirit, it can't let you see the shadow of purely astral being just bumming around.

My guess is that the Lucifier Lamp's light is being blocked by physical mana (SM 112).  Thus the shadows it casts show the physical mana a mage uses when he uses his abilities.  However once the spirit is summoned or the spell cast, the spirit and spell exists only as an astral entity and thus beyond the Lucifier Lamp's light.  The astral light it produces is in addition to the physical light. Therefore, you can't make a laser that also hits purely astral forms.  You might be able to make a laser that completely ignores Immunity to Normal Weapons depending on how all that works.

Edit- There is the fact that both physical and astral solids both dual-natured light.  However, if astral forms blocked physical light, then why does it only cast a shadow and not illuminate the form itself?  If you shine a light at me, you can see my shadow, but you'll more importantly see me.  I think that line is a reminder that both are affected by normal "light" rules in their respective planes i.e. physical light is blocked by physical stuff and astral light is blocked by astral stuff.   

*- Astral perception is a psychic sense (SM 114) and light itself normally doesn't show on the astral.  You don't need to the ability to receive light to "see" on the astral.  Therefore whatever living things, magical stuff, and the Earth produce that illuminates the astral, it doesn't have the properties of light.
« Last Edit: <11-29-12/1748:15> by Tsuzua »

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-29-12/1850:14> »
I would think it would be possible, but only in crazy geezer's prototype weapons like some of the early ideas about chemical lasers (if I remember correctly). You'd pop in a capacitor that functions as the power source and whatever expendable components were required to generate the high-intensity light, and the capacitor would fry itself in a couple of shots. You also probably wouldn't be able to cause very high damage, which would leave assault cannons (with comparatively generous rate-of-fire and armor penetration) better able to handle spirits.

My idea for an anti-spirit fix for technologists was something more along the lines of a mobile anti-magic field generator that would functionally probably create an astral shallow. Still working on that (or would if I had free time, maybe I'll have a chance later).