NEWS

Shadowrun boardgame - Update Nov 03: New Approach... Maptools!

• 35 Replies

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <12-03-12/1356:24> »
Thank you ;)

Maptools is a nice tools for resolving combat, it supports pretty much everything: Initiative (with passes), damage boxes, wound modifiers, ammo, fire modes, all sorts of conditions like on fire, unconscious etc... I guess I won't use much of it :)
The reason I gravitated towards computer-based combat resolution was because a battle on cardboard tiles would have to be fairly close quarters even with a 4x4 foot table. Maptools allows for maps of any size so it's not problem for a Sniper to actually take that shot from 1000 meters away and still be on the same battlegrid as his target. That, and I didn't want to spend a lot of time each turn writing down initiative scores from each combatant; It all goes with one click of a button now and even accounts for wound modifiers.

Today I made some new assets. I improved the look of character tokens and added Astral tokens with a nice blue style. The main thing though was creating all needed resources for Matrix runs; as mentioned above, it is influenced by the Cyberspace from Bloodnet with backgrounds of distant purple clouds and nodes and persona icons in chome.

See Bloodnet's Cyberspace here:

Here's my take on it:

Armitage encounters Black ICE type "Eddie" in one of the system's SPUs.

A mage astrally scouts the next room.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <12-03-12/1542:00> »
Where do you get these Maptools, and are they freeware?
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <12-03-12/1612:02> »
Yes, it's freeware and it has an easy script language so users can add new functions.

http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool

It takes a little time to learn all concepts, if you are interested I would suggest to read the tutorial and then just play around a bit.

The SR4E framework can be found here:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?p=101222

Feel free to ask any questions, I can probably answer most of them since I spent a lot of time the last week testing stuff ;)

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <12-04-12/1357:43> »
Today, I tried my hand at making a nice Seattle districts map.

I'm not sure how I will handle the districts themselves, I either with smaller maps like the one above or with a birds-eye view of the district... Or maybe a representative image witha list of locations.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <12-06-12/0732:37> »
Again, this is looking extremely interesting...really liking the tie-in to Maptools.

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <12-12-12/1151:57> »
Herp Derp

I decided on the way to handle city districts & places of interest. The map is big (read: of high enough resolution) enough to act as a city and district map combined. Places of interest will be hidden until players have discovered or heard about them. Since maptools map are fully zoomable, player can just zoom in on the district or place they want to get a better view. I think it will work nicely.

Next step is outlining some simple introductory quests and the needed places and NPCs for them.

Updated Matrix. If the mouse cursor is moved over a node, an overlay showing it's security rating is shown.

« Last Edit: <12-12-12/1206:58> by Cherno »