NEWS

Bows

• 23 Replies

Unahim

• Omae
« on: <10-22-12/0900:40> »
I've got an Ork Possession mage who enjoys getting himself possessed by a guardian spirit, and then cutting loose with a variety of "primitive" weapons with a modern twist, like a monofilament whip.

I'm looking into buying a bow, though there don't seem to be too many specific rules/upgrades for it. Any things I should really know about them to get the most bang for buck? Nobody in our groups ever used any, so not sure what to look for. Thanks in advance!

Also, Monofilament Bolas: Interesting flavour option, or not? (a force 6 guardian spirit automatically has exotic ranged weapon, and can pick 2 more combat skills, so archery and exotic melee weapon (whip) can both be covered)

(P.S. I was going to buy it at a minimum strength of 8)

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #1 on: <10-22-12/0903:50> »
Look in Arsenal for fun and exciting options concerning arrowheads.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-22-12/0908:28> »
Look in Arsenal for fun and exciting options concerning arrowheads.

Ah, I looked at ammunition the other day (I'm actually at work and AFB now) but didn't spot any there. Are they in the mod section or something?

FuelDrop

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-22-12/0915:27> »
Page 19 is your friend.
I recommend a mix of explosive, hammerheads and stick-and-shock personally, with a couple of incendiaries in case of emergency.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-22-12/0934:44> »
Nice, that sounds like I'm going to have some fun reading things over when I get home. Perhaps some Injection Arrows too, for if I really need to put down an elephant in one shot with a combined shot of 10P(minstr 8 +2) and 10S (the toxin, can't recall the name atm), heh. Before tests, of course.

Not sure if SnS is going to fly, since I only -just- got our group to houserule it so that only Shotguns can use them, since they were running so rampant and the shotties really needed it. Then again, part of the argument was based on the size of the shot, and arrows are quite a bit bulkier than the average bullet.

Thanks!

(P.S.: Can you put smartgun systems and such on bows?)

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-22-12/0959:58> »
I don't know where the thread is, but I do remember the majority ruling that bows can have smartlinks. It's totally feasible anyway. You know those modern day wageslaves that sometimes take really tricked out bows on hunting trips? I'm pretty sure those still exists in this setting.

I'm also assuming you house-ruled out that rule on no equipment over rating 6.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-22-12/1004:57> »
On Page 311 under mounts it states that projectile weapons can mount smartlinks and laser sights (that's all they can mount though).

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-22-12/1051:51> »
That's plenty. I may see if it can be a foldable bow, too. I think those already exist today, so shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

FuelDrop

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-22-12/1056:58> »
Folding bows do less damage and have a higher base availability than a normal bow. you're better off getting a normal bow and adding easy breakdown.

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-22-12/1121:38> »
Ah, wasn't even aware there were already rules for it. Thanks for the tip!

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #10 on: <10-22-12/1140:44> »
Memory Metal Bow would be an idea too.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Kat9

« Reply #11 on: <10-22-12/1247:46> »
Fricking arrows, fricking tanks.

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <10-22-12/1250:01> »
Just get a normal bow with powered break down and Lv3 ceramic parts and its pretty undetectable and assembles fast in a crunch, and other then internal smart link you got nothing else to use the capacity on anyways.. Honestly getting your arrows through security is a larger problem. Bows can be smart linked and after that you get an MSRI program outta war and watch the gun bunnies cry when the trog with full body armor and a shield that has walked through their hail of gun fire like it was an afternoon rain shower falls over dead from one salvo with an arrow through the heart. Bows have their limitations and you gotta spend points on the martial arts to let you ready as a free action but once you do that and get MSRI you can honestly be pretty scary with a bow if your stats back it up.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #13 on: <10-22-12/1646:23> »
you think bows are silly now?
under SR3 rules they were much better/worse . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #14 on: <10-22-12/1847:51> »
you think bows are silly now?
under SR3 rules they were much better/worse . .

Even pre-eratta SR4A. Back then, they could go up to Rating 12.

--- --- ---

Also, MRSI software is your friend. Your broken, cheesy friend.

All you have to do is either take Krave Maga and/or Iajutsu and use Quick-Draw rules to be able to Ready Weapon and fire another arrow during the same IP.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Register