NEWS

Runner's Black Book 2074

• 40 Replies

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« on: <10-10-12/1443:28> »
Just bought this last night. Really like it, and give it 6 stars out of 5. ;) I can't wait until Euro War Antiques is released. I do have one question, on the BTR-20 APC Clockwork calls himself a dwarf, and back in Runner's Companion he is called a hobgoblin. Which is it?
Andrew Grim

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <10-11-12/0024:27> »
Hobgoblin.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <10-11-12/0643:49> »
I wouldn't put it past someone like Slamm-O! to 'accidentally' edit Clockwork's posts for fun.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

AceFace

« Reply #3 on: <10-11-12/1551:39> »
Yeah, Clockwork is openly hostile to Slamm-O's  lady after all.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <10-11-12/1837:46> »
Not to mention what he said about Slamm-0!'s kid.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #5 on: <10-11-12/1849:07> »
If it was Plan 9 I would have assumed it was just another surgery.
Andrew Grim

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #6 on: <10-11-12/2014:49> »
Not to mention what he said about Slamm-0!'s kid.

Seriously, when the hell are the Jackpointers going to get fed up with him and force feed him some well-deserved humble pie? Or a piping hot serving of lead?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-11-12/2105:48> »
Well, JackPoint has rules about that sort of thing...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-11-12/2153:36> »
Well, JackPoint has rules about that sort of thing...
Exactly. Of course, eventually they are going to get tired of Clockwork's antics, unless he learns to shut his mouth, and you'll see Slamm-O!, Netcat, Pistons, and Puck all team up to track Clockwork down outside of Jackpoint, and make sure he pays. Clockwork may be a good rigger, but against two hackers and two technomancers, and whatever allies they might be able to call on ("Hey Kane, you want to have some fun?"), as well as other Jackpointers who may still hold a grudge for Clockwork selling out one of their own...

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <10-12-12/0159:17> »
Clockwork, however, does have a good niche in the JackPoint, and even Slamm-0! admits it.  Now, admittedly, this might be Slamm-0!'s 1337 Trolling skillz, but he gave Clockwork props for telling him everything he's been doing wrong and that could get him killed.

For the rest of the group, don't forget that a LOT of the tech stuff (IE:  Almost every gear book!) is written or co-written by Clockwork.  He does a lot for the JackPoint in the background, and it's only in the Shadowtalk that we see the problems occurring.  He's kind of like that Uncle you don't want to admit you're related to, but has so damned handy skills when things go wrong (And makes some really good 'shine.).

That said, he is probably one more "screw over Netcat IRL" away from being taken out by the rest of the group.  Kane might do it for dreks and giggles.

Then again, Kane would steal the First Aztlan Bank for dreks and giggles, so that's not saying much.  (And by "Steal the bank", I mean the whole damned building, not just rob the place.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-12-12/0805:21> »
Honestly? I think Clockwork's contributions on the tech side of things are the only reason he hasn't been taken out already. He's pissed off some key members of the group, but worse, he's lost any allies he might have had because of his "I'd sell you out in a heartbeat too" attitude. The only ones I could possibly see coming to his aid are Riser and Haze, and even then they would require heavy paychecks, in advance.

I agree, though, that Netcat and Co. won't move to take down Clockwork (not counting if they happen to be on opposite sides of a job) unless he tries to sell out or kill Netcat or her kid again. Then the gloves will come off.

My Characters

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-12-12/0956:25> »
I tend to err on the side that they don't provoke Clockwork because he's just better than they are.  Slamm-O might be a second generation rigger and Netcat's a technomancer, but Clockwork wrote the book that everyone else is studying from.  They may realize that they got lucky once, but Slamm-O and Netcat have a lot more to lose by disturbing the status quo, so they let him sling his barbs because if they stop him from talking a mild amount of crap, he may get it right the second time.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #12 on: <10-12-12/1014:45> »
Seriously, when the hell are the Jackpointers going to get fed up with him and force feed him some well-deserved humble pie? Or a piping hot serving of lead?
You are not the only one to have asked this question. Not by a long shot.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #13 on: <10-12-12/1019:33> »
I tend to err on the side that they don't provoke Clockwork because he's just better than they are.
It's my personal opinion that you over-state his skill level a bit, or you don't factor his ego and hubris into things. I have absolutely nothing factual to base that on, it's just my gut talking, but while he's good, Clockwork's also cocky. Cockier than Slamm-0! by a damn sight (and that's a fairly bold statement).

You may well turn out to be right, but there's something telling me that it's probably a bit closer to even than you state.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-12-12/1026:58> »
I'm speculating that he'd have to have a sizable advantage, or at least that they think he's got one.  If Slamm-O and Netcat thought they had a decent shot at putting him out of their misery, I imagine that they'd take it.

Register