NEWS

must-have gear list

• 175 Replies

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <04-30-12/0447:18> »
Ummmm Let me rephase that a good way to hide a gun in a swim suit. And sticking it up your back side is not a good way. (athou it is easy to hide a mage in a swim suit, well his not yours.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <04-30-12/0527:17> »
DoubleTap, the only people who can afford to skimp on matrix gear are magic types that use little to no AR or wireless gear at all. Everyone else should get at least a decent commlink and OS (stats at 3+), and get some decent programs (the packages in SR4A and Unwired work for most people). Otherwise, you're just asking to be hacked.

Even for magical characters you need to good commlink, because if you run a network between the runners, enemies can hack into that from the weakest link.  Always try to have a decent firewall (3+) and an analyse program with ergonomic and optimization on it, so you can get it at higher rating then you should be able to run on the 'link.  Those couple of hundred nuyen for a decent analyse program are not going to make the difference and it can avoid a whole lot of issues later on.

As for mages carrying guns, it's a good thing as it can make you look less like a mage.  As the standard Shadowrun doctrine is 'geek the mage first', that might be a good thing.  And having a back-up option can never hurt either.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #32 on: <04-30-12/0529:43> »
A little hold pistol squeezed between the cheeks (made sure you work out those gluts so you don't cramp up!!)

Or, if your runner is on the "large" side of life (say, as wide, and round, as tall) slip it in the waist band of a 2 size too small speedo and let the rolls cover it up!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <04-30-12/0726:16> »
You don't wear a swimming suit in the sauna.  But more to the point, how do you hide armor?  The idea here is that when you're dealing with a big contract, make sure that everyone is playing on an even field.  Pheromones don't work because you're sweating and/or submerged.  No foci to sustain charisma enhancing spells.  Maybe throw in some watcher spirits that report if any spells are cast. 

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #34 on: <04-30-12/0915:09> »
NERPS.

Do not forget the NERPS.

It is embarrassing as all hell when you need it but don't have any.

-k

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <04-30-12/1437:02> »
You don't wear a swimming suit in the sauna.  But more to the point, how do you hide armor?  The idea here is that when you're dealing with a big contract, make sure that everyone is playing on an even field.  Pheromones don't work because you're sweating and/or submerged.  No foci to sustain charisma enhancing spells.  Maybe throw in some watcher spirits that report if any spells are cast.
There are other ways to hide spell sustaining such as a spirt of man casting and sustaining it back at your apartment. whould be a remote sevis. And whouldnt phermones work better if you are swetting them out.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <04-30-12/1506:28> »
If you don't know why the Spirit of Man trick won't work, and you don't know why pheromones in a sauna doesn't work, and you don't know why pheromones in a hot tub doesn't work, then I welcome you to try them and have yourself a treat.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #37 on: <04-30-12/1616:53> »
If you don't know why the Spirit of Man trick won't work, and you don't know why pheromones in a sauna doesn't work, and you don't know why pheromones in a hot tub doesn't work, then I welcome you to try them and have yourself a treat.

Wow... what a beautiful non-answer.

And what the hell does a hot-tub have to do with anything? Of course it won't work in a hot-tub. It's a big pool of water. A sauna you're sitting around in hot, steamy, humid air getting really sweaty. You can smell each other pretty damn well in there, so the pheromones would work just bloody fine.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <04-30-12/1707:02> »

Wow... what a beautiful non-answer.

And what the hell does a hot-tub have to do with anything? Of course it won't work in a hot-tub. It's a big pool of water. A sauna you're sitting around in hot, steamy, humid air getting really sweaty. You can smell each other pretty damn well in there, so the pheromones would work just bloody fine.

Hot tub was part of my original comment Sauna or Hot tub.  You're sweaty in a sauna.  But everyone in there is the same sex.  And if they aren't, they ain't in there to do business.  You can have mixed couples in hot tubs, but again the water ruins the effect.  Spirit of Man doesn't work because you've crossed domains.  Also as per my added comment, there are watchers present to report spell use.

Anyone that goes to the trouble of doing business in a sauna (or hot tub) is doing it for security reasons and to level the playing field.  If there is even a hint of you using mojo, or pheromones, or whatever, he's simply going to black list you and end the negotiations right there.  He'll likely be cordial and you'll get a nice night out of it, but you won't be invited back.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #39 on: <04-30-12/1713:41> »
Hot tub was part of my original comment Sauna or Hot tub.  You're sweaty in a sauna.  But everyone in there is the same sex.  And if they aren't, they ain't in there to do business.

Ah, okay, here's the problem... you're misunderstanding how pheromones work. They're not just "sexy fun time" stuff... there are plenty of pheromone signals that are "sex neutral" that signal dominance and other such things.

Even if that weren't so, since the Bioware doesn't say it's limited to people of the correct orientation it's pretty much a given that the "Tailored" part of "Tailored Pheromones" would include setting you up to be able to influence everyone anyway.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <04-30-12/1807:38> »
It is my opinion that a hot sauna is not the ideal environment for pheromones.  It is backed up by research into ant behavior with pheromones in variable temperature conditions.  It seems that the pheromones are volatile and high temperatures degrade the effect.  Which makes sense because they are generated in body temperature conditions and then released into generally cooler environments.   

In 3rd edition, I would call that a stress failure, which has deleterious effects on the opposite gender.  That probably isn't detailed in 4th, but neither are hot tubs and saunas.

Pheromones and spells and all those gimmicks are great for back alley deals with on the spot decisions, but for a long term contract, both parties need to be on a level playing field.  If you pull a stunt like pheromones or magic in one of those deals, you'll never make a deal outside of the back alley.

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #41 on: <04-30-12/1827:00> »
Hmm perhaps its just me but spirits being unable to cross domains wasn`t that a previous edition thing? Or is it that saunas have a high domain rating/background count and thus impede spirits. Gotta be a different sauna than the ones I use as dont seem to have that much emotional content. :o
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <04-30-12/2056:25> »
Ugg, did they remove that too? 

You can't see it, but I am rocking my chair so hard on the porch telling those kids to get off my lawn right now.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <04-30-12/2102:13> »
Ugg, did they remove that too? 

You can't see it, but I am rocking my chair so hard on the porch telling those kids to get off my lawn right now.

*cocks the shotgun* Get off my land ya whipper-snappers!
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Aelavel

« Reply #44 on: <05-01-12/1937:51> »
lol

Register