NEWS

must-have gear list

• 175 Replies

Valnar

• Chummer
« on: <04-27-12/1918:33> »
As I am making a new Character for one of my games (hopefully my current character is going to die sometime soon...) I once again noticed that it is ridiculously hard for me to think of all the gear every Runner should probably have with them when on the run.
Things like a flashlight, a simple knife and all the other small stuff that is very easily forgotten until you actually need it in a tight situation, only to stare blankly at your character sheet, desperately hoping that you actually had the common sense to add it to your equipment at one point or another.
So let this be the thread to put an end to my (and maybe a lot of other player's) plight! Let's create a must-have list of forgettable but nevertheless useful Runner gear :D
Name everything you think every character or at least one character in every group should have with them!

• commlink+programs
  • fake SIN
  • ammunition for your weapons
  • some armor
  • light source
  • knife
  • medkit+supplies

This is all I can think of from the top of my head. Have I mentioned that I am very bad at this? :D

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-27-12/1935:07> »
you might want to have a "public" and "private" commlink.  Other then that you want licenses for every restricted item you have.  Armor is nice.  Weapons of course.  Other then that it becomes a bit more specific to your role.  Foci for mages, programs for hackers etc. 

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-27-12/2030:03> »
I think a reasonable GM should be more than willing to let something like a flashlight be covered by your lifestyle, as well as any non-armored clothes you may have and meals (whether eaten at home or out).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-27-12/2114:51> »
Welll starting runners do not alway have a public and private com but should abatain the second one fairly quickly if they worry about matrix secerty.
Guns are important if you are not a mage, most mages rarly use them.
Armor is a must have.
Genualy you want a tag erraser and a sensor to detect them at least 1 per party if not more.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #4 on: <04-27-12/2335:09> »
Welll starting runners do not alway have a public and private com but should abatain the second one fairly quickly if they worry about matrix secerty.
Guns are important if you are not a mage, most mages rarly use them.
Armor is a must have.
Genualy you want a tag erraser and a sensor to detect them at least 1 per party if not more.

Mages can run out of juice, or just get too tired to cast any more combat spells. Or, the ones that use support spells mainly. There are always reasons for a mage to at least have a hold-out.

And for the most part, yeah, it depends on what you are making. Hackers should be carrying a tag eraser. Don't expect the gun-bunny troll to have one on hand. If your making a Samurai, don't forget the cyber. Anything with magic abilities, grab some eyewear and earbuds. You don't have to have stuff installed in your head to get some great assistance. And you will thank the ghost you did when the flashbangs go off, and the dampers in those things kick in. A gasmask can always be handy, too. Honestly, I can imagine a mage going on a run looking like this:
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-28-12/0611:14> »
A basic kit I put together a while ago, it could use some options and should be customized to the character in question. Mostly, I made it when I was making several characters so I wouldn't do something silly like forget to give one a fake SIN or a weapon.

hadowrunner Beginner's Kit. 3 BP (15,000y) Availability 12F

When just starting out or starting over, sometimes you have to begin from ground zero. Intended to reflect a good mix of basic gear for any shadowrunner, this kit can be tweaked for a runner with little difficulty. With a basic comlink, armor that won't raise an eyebrow in most areas and a pistol that is one of the symbols of shadowrunning. Round it out with a touch of medical supplies any shadowrunner can use if things go wrong or even sometimes when they go right and sensor enhancements. You might want to add contacts with vision modes you don't have from nature, and the credstick is just in case you need to pay for something and you don't want to leave a data trail. You even get a month prepaid at a crappy apartment.

Ok, it's not perfect. But if you need to burn all ties to your old life and set up somewhere, you can do worse then cracking open this kit.

Fake Sin Rating 4 (4000)
Fake License Rating 4 (Firearms) (400)
Fake License Rating 4 (Bodyguard, Bounty Hunter or use for your cyber-gear) (400)

One month of Low Lifestyle (2000)

Novatech Airware Comlink with Isis Orb OS (Signal, Response, System and Firewall 3), Basic+ Suite [Analyze 3, Browse 3, Command 1, Edit 3], Encrypt Rating 3, Mapsoft (Your game's starting city) Rating 3, Skinlink, Trodes, AR Gloves, Cold Sim Module. (3265)

Glasses Rating 4 with Image Link, Smartlink, Vision Enhancement Rating 3, Flare Compensation and Skinlink (1025)

Earbuds Rating 2 with Audio Enhancement Rating 3, Spacial Recognizer and Skinlink. (470)

Lined Coat with Insulation and Fire Resistance at Rating 6 (2200)

Aries Predator with Skinlink, Smartlink and Concealed Holster (475)

60 Heavy Pistol Ammo and 4 Aries Predator Clips (140)

Medkit Rating 6 (600)

Certified Credstick (25)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <04-28-12/1314:48> »
Some items youight want to bring:

Matches (never know when you might need to start a fire!)
Twine (to tie someone up, and less noticeable than zap-straps)
Paper clips & paper ( fuel source for a fire, clips to jam a manual lock or used to short out a circuit)
Jiffy marker (cause hey, never know when you might want to leave a 'tag' behind, also works well to blot over a lens)
2kg bag of marbles (that's alota marbles! And a lot of marbles on the floor makes for an impromptu dance recital for corp sec!)

That's it for the free stuff that anyone should be able to get their hands on.

The following items cost a bit more but should be readily available

Courier jumpsuit (cheap, easy to pack, and who notices 'the help' any more? Great for something to quickly change into when the alarm has sounded and you need to blend into a crowd to get away)

Nano paste (takes minutes to apply badly, and keeps you free from corp sec! Even a bad job of application should change your features enough to add some confusion to their searching)

Bribe credit sticks (cause sometimes a wireless transaction just isn't the best idea)

Spare under-roos!!! (cause when you crap yourself as the cyber zombie comes around the corner, at least you can change and avoid the 'I crapped myself' smell.... If you can get away)

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <04-28-12/1315:35> »
Synthahol flavoured to taste.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #8 on: <04-28-12/1701:01> »
If you are playing a face, keep bribes in all different flavors. The synthahol comment reminded me of this one. Sometimes, that BTL junkie will be much more talkative if you have a new Cal Hot in your hand for him, than if you have cash that he will have to take to a dealer to get ripped off on last year's dreamchips... Novacoke will get you into parties. Some "insider trading" tips, like telling a broker you are planning on hitting a specific corp at a specific time, and the stocks are gonna plummet a few points... That will get you some very interesting news from his contacts. As long as he can keep his mouth shut. Bribes and favors come in LOTS of varieties, and knowing who you are gonna grease the palms of will help you know if you need to keep some other methods of payment on hand.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <04-28-12/1746:02> »
"Lawyers.  You can always recognize them by the bad pockets.  Lawyers always carry drugs, it ruins the line of their pants." - Transmetropolitan

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Valnar

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <04-28-12/1816:06> »
Another thing I remembered today: Duct tape. No need to elaborate.

Some things my group always brings along for runs in very rural and war stricken areas (happens quite often):
  • booze, cigs & chocolate for trading/bribing
  • water purifiers
  • cash in local currency (in addition to credsticks with Nuyen/ECU)
  • linguasofts
  • survival kits (duh)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <04-28-12/1845:01> »
War stricken areas?

You mean like the North End of Winnipeg?

Yes yes, I know, The Special Hell.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Valnar

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <04-28-12/1905:38> »
Last time it was a civil war somewhere in Africa. All was well and dandy until our Troll decided it'd be a neat idea to use his huge Ruthenium covered parachute to display a bright Snickers slogan (think "Hungy? Grab a Snickers!") into the night sky...that's when ALL the MG fire started to head in our direction xD

Raventrickster

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <04-28-12/1907:47> »
This list has got me realizing just how much stuff I missed building my current character.  Time for a trip to the hardware store.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-28-12/1959:10> »
Ruthenium covered parachute
Knowing what I know about parachutes, this makes my brain hurt.  And should make that troll hurt when he realizes the problem.