NEWS

Hacking and whatnot is ridiculously OP?

• 181 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <04-10-12/1640:53> »
Well, I just thought, and I might be convinced to allow hacking it, but with very few exceptions, nothing will be gained other than "Results of diagnostic A: <long string of unintelligible gibberish>"
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #31 on: <04-10-12/1659:29> »
And for things like Bone Lacing, Muscle Replacement, and a datajack, that is fine. For other things, such as a Balance Augmenter, Voice Mask, Cyberspurs, and other things with a static functionality, the turn off/on (or extend/retract for spurs) is the most you could do. An example in the book includes using foot anchors to stop someone from running away, for instance.

For things like Cybereyes, though, the issue becomes more complicated. The concept of hacking someone's cybereyes to remove yourself from their vision is a time-honored trick of hackers in cyberpunk. Ghost in the Shell does it all the time. Simply turning them off is another option. You could also switch off the low-light vision at night, kill the smartlink, or switch them to thermographic while there is fire all about, etc.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <04-10-12/1710:25> »
And for things like Bone Lacing, Muscle Replacement, and a datajack, that is fine. For other things, such as a Balance Augmenter, Voice Mask, Cyberspurs, and other things with a static functionality, the turn off/on (or extend/retract for spurs) is the most you could do. An example in the book includes using foot anchors to stop someone from running away, for instance.

For things like Cybereyes, though, the issue becomes more complicated. The concept of hacking someone's cybereyes to remove yourself from their vision is a time-honored trick of hackers in cyberpunk. Ghost in the Shell does it all the time. Simply turning them off is another option. You could also switch off the low-light vision at night, kill the smartlink, or switch them to thermographic while there is fire all about, etc.

Eyes and ears are the only things I can be convinced to allow more than diagnostic gibberish coming from it, and even then I'm applying a threshold modifier of probably +3 or +4 on top of the Firewall.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <04-10-12/1733:53> »
Why? It is no different than editing the feeds coming in from a security camera. Make such things require Security or Admin access, and you're fine.

My Characters

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #34 on: <04-10-12/1801:26> »
SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER!!! If you ever want to play Missions Season 2, Episode 12: Winter Wonderland, following holds a (minor) spoiler! (Nothing game or plot breaking.)

[spoiler]
In above mentioned mission (free for download at shadowrun4.com!), Dean Costello hacked a smugglers cybereyes and edited/spoofed images to fool the pilot, making him go 80km off course and then scaring him to drop his package with a fake ZDF patrol.
Page 8 (second column, third and fourth paragraph) and page 10 (first paragraph).
[/spoiler]

So, definitely possible.
(I don't really like it, but as mentioned earlier: It can be defended against at a fraction of the cost of all the cyberware; or just make friends with the team's hacker.)

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <04-11-12/0252:29> »
Firewall 6
System 5
Databomb 3
Analyze 5
IC 3
Attack 5
Armor 5

Come hack me now. Also costs about 20K. Damn. Too much to have and buy in chargen?

And I'm very confused about this having two commlinks thing now. I like the idea of having the aforementioned supercostlyantihacksystemDX2 (TM) on a hidden commlink and also having a Meta Link or something like that as your public commlink that you broadcast when you're out and about, but how does that work in action? You can't slave the Link to your hidden 'link because that'd instantly make it refuse all access which would be suspicious, but you can't make the Link the master either, because it's easily hackable...  So what is this subscribing thing, actually? Did I miss a post somewhere?

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <04-11-12/0551:50> »
I would have thought if you can hack wired reflexes, you could give someone a continual spasm fit, or possibly even make them do something like shoot their friend? If you have seized control of someones nervous system, wouldnt that let you sort of control them like a puppet? Ah, in any event, I would at least allow putting them into an uncontrolled spasm, which effectively incapacitates them. Doesn't seem OP to me given the hassle of actually hacking someones reflexes.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #37 on: <04-11-12/0555:25> »
And I'm very confused about this having two commlinks thing now. I like the idea of having the aforementioned supercostlyantihacksystemDX2 (TM) on a hidden commlink and also having a Meta Link or something like that as your public commlink that you broadcast when you're out and about, but how does that work in action? You can't slave the Link to your hidden 'link because that'd instantly make it refuse all access which would be suspicious, but you can't make the Link the master either, because it's easily hackable...  So what is this subscribing thing, actually? Did I miss a post somewhere?

There's a concept called Air Gap Security. Essentially, it means the two systems have nothing to do with each other.

They may both be on your person at the same time, but they aren't networked together in any way. You keep your real PAN wired/skinlinked and totally dark so that nobody can hack you without being close enough to touch you, and your "public" commlink has nothing on it that can hurt anything if it gets hacked, and gets turned off whenever you're not somewhere that needs you to broadcast a SIN.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <04-11-12/0615:31> »
yeah  I guess the decoy commlink is pretty awesome. It wastes the hackers time and still gets him little/nothing at the end.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #39 on: <04-11-12/0621:06> »
 ^ You should be able to do that, as long as you're not using your 'ware for your team communications.
If StreetSam has his Wired Reflexes and Cyberlimbs hardwired and has a seperate commlink and earbuds (+ goggles if he wants images) to communicate with the team, he should be fairly safe.
If, however, he's using his cybereyes and cyberears as a means of communication, then through that signal a hacker might find a way into his system and take over his 'ware.

So to have your 'ware safe: use subvocal mics, headphones/earbuds and contacts/glasses/goggles for communication. The only downside to this is that you can't use the enhancements in your cybereyes/ears in your team communications but only the senses/sensors built in your external gear. The second you use your 'wares imagelink/audiolink, you've linked the systems together and created a bridge a hacker can use to get inside your 'ware.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <04-11-12/0829:07> »

There's a concept called Air Gap Security. Essentially, it means the two systems have nothing to do with each other.

They may both be on your person at the same time, but they aren't networked together in any way. You keep your real PAN wired/skinlinked and totally dark so that nobody can hack you without being close enough to touch you, and your "public" commlink has nothing on it that can hurt anything if it gets hacked, and gets turned off whenever you're not somewhere that needs you to broadcast a SIN.
However, trying to use two 'links at once is problematic, unless one is slaved to the other. Read the quote from Unwired, page 91, I quoted here. You still have only one brain, so trying to have two commlinks going at the same time is bad, unless one is slaved to the other.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #41 on: <04-11-12/0844:53> »
However, trying to use two 'links at once is problematic, unless one is slaved to the other. Read the quote from Unwired, page 91, I quoted here. You still have only one brain, so trying to have two commlinks going at the same time is bad, unless one is slaved to the other.

Actually, I'm not talking about trying to use two 'links at once.

Everything you actually use is skinlinked or hardwired to a commlink that runs 100% offline (or just "hidden", depending on your level of paranoia) except when you need to open it up to the Matrix for a specific task; you'll never even look at your "public" commlink. All that one is there for is to broadcast your SIN (where needed) and act like a decoy so nobody looks for the dark PAN.

If you want to be mean about it (and have the cash) you can then load the "public" commlink down with the nastiest IC you can afford, set to blast anything that sticks its nose in the door that isn't using a hardwire connection.
« Last Edit: <04-11-12/0851:56> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

KommissarK

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <04-11-12/1021:09> »

I think what that quote is pointing out is that yes, you shouldn't run two commlinks through DNI at the same time. A hacker can't just have 4 commlinks on their person, and "use" each one as they take matrix damage. "Multisensory hallucinations" reeks of simsesne. Not every commlink you touch has to be wired to your brain. As mentioned, the idea quite easily could be a wireless disabled commlink, running your PAN via skinlink, a "hidden and secure" commlink running comms alone for the party (using earbuds and a subvocal mic), and a "dumb" commlink running either passive or active given the current social setting (just sitting in your pocket).

For a real life example: when I'm at home, I have my PC. It takes up most of my attention and I am most directly, and actively, using it (while I do use it for an internet connection, the goal of the commlink here is to maintain a simple PAN, and thus needs no connection). I have a cellphone in my pocket, hooked up to a bluetooth headset I'm wearing. I don't need to be staring at it all the time, and it can easily manage the tasks I use it for. Only my friends have its number so its basically "hidden." Then I have a landline. I really don't use it at all, but the number is publically available. Its just there for appearances (i.e. its the same as running a passive/active commlink).

The thing to realize is that having a wireless disabled commlink running your PAN means you're going to miss out on the oh so fun features of social networking (e.g. you won't have your targets friendscore overlayed onto your vision). Obviously, this is of little value to most people here, but SR is indeed a social world, and maintaining good contacts with people can be extremely helpful. Saw a fellow player get a Jackpoint account for more or less doing some cool social networking magic. And something like that is indeed of "value."

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <04-11-12/1233:37> »
In regards to what a hacker could do to your 'ware:

If I gain admin access to your laptop, I can not only access the programmed functions, I can alter them. So, for example, Wired Reflexes are directly controlling your central nervous system. If I decide I want to, I could kick it into turbo drive by disabling safety systems and changing a few lines of code, and throw you into a massive seizure. Now this would likely be an Exploit to bypass the embedded safety programming, but once you are in as an Admin, you can do whatever you want. I would likely make my first move locking out the DNI connection, so whatever I do, the character could not use the 'Ware again until it gets wirelessly recaptured, a task made very difficult by my turning off wireless after I finish sabotaging the poor bastard as much as I possibly can.

What most of you, I think, please correct me if I am wrong, are thinking of is Spoof, which allows you to send a single command. That would be on/off, or spam the system with lots of silliness to distract and confuse the character. You do NOT want your cyberware truly hacked, because then whatever biological function it's controlling is under someone else's control, not yours.

Now, your mileage may vary, but if someone gains admin access, the device is theirs.

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <04-11-12/1629:07> »
In regards to what a hacker could do to your 'ware:

If I gain admin access to your laptop, I can not only access the programmed functions, I can alter them. So, for example, Wired Reflexes are directly controlling your central nervous system. If I decide I want to, I could kick it into turbo drive by disabling safety systems and changing a few lines of code, and throw you into a massive seizure. Now this would likely be an Exploit to bypass the embedded safety programming, but once you are in as an Admin, you can do whatever you want. I would likely make my first move locking out the DNI connection, so whatever I do, the character could not use the 'Ware again until it gets wirelessly recaptured, a task made very difficult by my turning off wireless after I finish sabotaging the poor bastard as much as I possibly can.

What most of you, I think, please correct me if I am wrong, are thinking of is Spoof, which allows you to send a single command. That would be on/off, or spam the system with lots of silliness to distract and confuse the character. You do NOT want your cyberware truly hacked, because then whatever biological function it's controlling is under someone else's control, not yours.

Now, your mileage may vary, but if someone gains admin access, the device is theirs.

Which is why you either A) Turn wireless off in the first place B) Get a hacker friend C) Get a shitload of programs to protect you from everyone but the most dedicated hackers and run in hidden mode. D) All of the above, just to be sure.

Register