NEWS

Google's New AR Glasses

• 13 Replies

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« on: <04-05-12/0342:35> »
I just saw this article about Google's new augmented reality glasses. Check it out here: http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/deal-google-crazy-augmented-reality-glasses-225744545.html

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <04-05-12/0636:23> »
Life imitates Shadowrun imitates Life.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #2 on: <04-05-12/0736:00> »
Life imitates Shadowrun imitates Life.

Nah, I'm not calling it until they integrate targeting software into the package.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

fovar

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-06-12/1856:35> »
Really? That's it?

No one commenting on how these researchers must be Shadowrun Players? No one jocking about B&E to steal the goddamn technology for another Corp?

This is a HUGE chunk of the universe you explore and help to create that simply becomes reality. It's like some freakin' elves and dwarves were born: You act like «Meh» while you should worry your own children will change into goddamned trolls and orks!

Of course, targeting devices are not included YET in this: it will only be one of the many applications this device will have: Right now, RFID tagging should be first priority, and with the existence of Google Street View, it might be a smaller step than most of us realize.

Now we have two choices: either we strive to side with one of the corporations, hoping it will become a triple A, or we stand on guard to prevent them from achieving this status.

Or we let it slide, accepting our sons and daughter might live in the shadows of society, for the better and the worst.

- Fovar

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <04-07-12/1332:34> »
The researchers AREN'T Shadowrun players. They are advertising execs that see a way to show you commercials 24/7.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <04-07-12/1605:20> »
The researchers AREN'T Shadowrun players. They are advertising execs that see a way to show you commercials 24/7.

RAY SMASH!!!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

fovar

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-08-12/1020:25> »

That is a bit cynical, although I admit my players do see adds poping up very frequently. A common stealth critical glitch cause a commlink to send an add to surrounding people pointing the character with a big arrow and sounding like : "This person likes his BurgerShack SoyBurger with mayonnaise, ketchup and tomatoe-flavor, and you, how do you like your soyburger?"

A new player had problems imagining how AR/Matrix worked. The Project Glass Video worked wonders.

This makes the idea the book of Shadowrun is kind of a prophecy even more realistic. With companies buying others in the chaos of our current recession, the idea of Megacorps might not be that far either. I admit, with the existence of smartphones, making the technology even easier to carry and used seems logical: AR might be the simpler, more natural route.

I'm just amazed how the concepts are the exact very same.

It's probably just me overeacting. We're still far from simsense. Let's keep an eye open for when the Corps try and get extraterritoriality and/or a right to arm and defend themselves. It might be our only chance!

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #7 on: <04-08-12/1328:39> »

Let's keep an eye open for when the Corps try and get extraterritoriality and/or a right to arm and defend themselves. It might be our only chance!

They're working on it. Lots of slippery slope court cases: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/katie-redford/kiobel-v-shell_b_1305805.html

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #8 on: <04-14-12/1604:44> »
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-15-12/0656:38> »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17692256

Contact AR lens.

Interesting. I wonder how they will get around the problems mentioned at the end of the article?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #10 on: <04-15-12/0718:25> »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17692256

Contact AR lens.

Interesting. I wonder how they will get around the problems mentioned at the end of the article?

Some people get motion sickness from using AR contacts? I'd say that's definitely the beginnings of what could turn into Sensory Overload Syndrome.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <04-15-12/0826:49> »
I can't even wear contact lenses.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

fovar

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <04-16-12/1104:16> »
First I was liek  ???
Then I was like :o

Somebody was about to post something about simsense, right?

Right?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <04-16-12/1519:36> »
I just want to go on record as saying that the mock "comedy" bits in response to the original Google video weren't necessary. Google's mockup video is proof enough that AR is in fact useless and bordering on idiotic.