NEWS

Initiation and Sublimation

• 20 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #15 on: <09-07-10/2313:05> »
Player skill is a big factor that an of course getting the die god to be kind to you lol

One day my runners had to fight agaisnt a Toxic shaman with 10 Magic and 5 initiation, he was named Chernobyl and he was pretty well prepared...but the Dice Gods were not with me, and I critical glitched on his most powerful spell, and well, as you can imagine, they beat the crap out of what was remained of him *sigh* :-\
Cautiously waits for the obligatory pun...

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <09-07-10/2337:26> »
Player skill is a big factor that an of course getting the die god to be kind to you lol

One day my runners had to fight agaisnt a Toxic shaman with 10 Magic and 5 initiation, he was named Chernobyl and he was pretty well prepared...but the Dice Gods were not with me, and I critical glitched on his most powerful spell, and well, as you can imagine, they beat the crap out of what was remained of him *sigh* :-\
Cautiously waits for the obligatory pun...

...they nuked him :P
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #17 on: <09-07-10/2339:26> »
<buzzzzz>

Sorry, we were looking for "Meltdown".

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <09-07-10/2341:39> »
Well at least i tried ;D
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #19 on: <09-08-10/0018:23> »
Ok fastjack we get that your fast but hey give others a chance to answer lol.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Max Anderson

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <09-08-10/0344:41> »
Well for my part, I'd consider anything with more than 6 in Magic/Resonance to be pretty powerful compared to the general level of mages/technomancer. But like some of you said, it's all in the presentation... And in the preparation.

Mages are a pretty nasty bunch, but I think it's best to let the players imagine what they could do rather than showing them what they can. Think about it : if you don't know what to expect, a mage could pretty well use his magic to augment his combat capabilities and level your team with some well-placed combat spells, or be possessed by a powerful spirit, laughing at your pathetic efforts to bring it down. Or it could trick you with some nasty illusions. Or he could have an army of spirits at the ready, waiting for you to step into his trap. Or he could take control of one of your teammates. Or he could be right here, invisible to your senses. Or... Well you get the point.

Actually, as long as magic entities are concerned, I think my players worst fear was when they were chasing someone they thought murdured one of their friends. They knew he was tough, but they didn't know he was compelled to kill due to a blood spirit possessing him. As usual, the Big Bad Troll of the team (highly resilient, and really lethal in close combat) charged... And the guy just threw him out the window, apparently effortlessly. The blood spirit was powerful (rating 6), but wasnt invicible Seeing how the guy took out the most badass character, the others were... well very cautious afterwards.

Concerning Technomancers, I think Submersion is actually more important than Initiation is for mages. Some submersions allow you to do things that are otherwise impossible. But their true strength are sprites, as all their special powers are absolutely unique to them. I haven't had the occasion to confront my players with a strong technomancer (there is one in my actual campaign, but he is more of a chessmaster than a direct opposing force), but I think I'd use someone with Resonance 6-8 with 3-5 submersions, and probably some sprites for fun. Haven't really thought about it, though...