NEWS

Drowning in Shadows [OOC]

• 261 Replies

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #165 on: <02-09-12/0929:15> »
Sichr exploding again :D
a pity, that you stop the game for that.

Aalith, don't give up, thats the bread and butter for any GM to argue with his players (a little more so for Shadowrun than for other games), after six games and a year of RL play, you'll both adapt :) that's from experience.
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
  • The idea is to die young as late as possible -A.M.
« Reply #166 on: <02-09-12/0941:44> »
Sichr exploding again :D
a pity, that you stop the game for that.

Aalith, don't give up, thats the bread and butter for any GM to argue with his players (a little more so for Shadowrun than for other games), after six games and a year of RL play, you'll both adapt :) that's from experience.
He is an expert on Exploding Sichr!
 ;D
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and expect nothing!
Matrix;speaking;thinking;ExternalSourcesLink
RainDragonBar

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #167 on: <02-09-12/1140:32> »
I also would like to continue, even though I haven't done much so far.  We might have to adapt a bit as we miss a character, but what kind of shadowrunners would we be if we can't adapt if a team members drops out of circulation.  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #168 on: <02-09-12/1153:19> »
I also would like to continue, even though I haven't done much so far.  We might have to adapt a bit as we miss a character, but what kind of shadowrunners would we be if we can't adapt if a team members drops out of circulation.  :)

This is exactly the definition of a shadowrunner. Great!

Well, if by any chance Aalith accept to continue the game, it would be great, really.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #169 on: <02-09-12/1314:14> »
I'd love to play honestly. I watched the whole Sichr thing in slow motion and he broke the golden rule of RP: If the GM drops his foot, his word is law. Hence why I left in the first place, we were butting heads pretty hard over character concept and it just wasn't working because of your ideas of "Good and Bad" qualities. I still have plenty of character concepts sitting and gathering dust if you need me.

AalithHUN

« Reply #170 on: <02-09-12/1330:10> »
If you feel this way, I can continue...It's just I have a kind of personality which cannot tolerate injustice. And I hate, HATE arguing. Unfortunately in the toneless world of PbP, somehow all discussions will escalate into a major conflict sooner or later.

I've felt that letting Sichr use (I dare not use the "A" word) martial arts (which is really just a way you punch) to do "infinite" actions in one measly IP would be unfair to other players who can do 1 complex action and that's it.

In my opinion, you cannot interrupt interrupt actions - these are very special "last resort" moves. Full Defense is for desperately running for cover or protecting yourself, Finishing Move is either finishes off your opponent or you risk an opening in your defenses by overextending into an attack.

You cannot just do Attack then 3 Full Defenses in one IP - you simply don't have the time to defend yourself from 3 attacks coming at you almost simultaneously, AND attack in the same IP. (not to mention, after that, you just stand for 4 IP's - and how do you explain that?) Well, maybe if you can freeze time, but that is only cool in video games...

So this is how I feel and I cannot guarantee that this is the last time I see something differently - but if you all had raised your voices saying either I'm or Sichr is right, it would have been much simpler.

Now, I'm asking for opinions: what to do? Continue? Shall I look for another player? Or try it with 3? I have spent days to write a story and I tested it with old friends  (they say it's cool, story wise, but they've also said it would be better with a veteran GM...) so I would be sad to just throw it out - on the other hand, the free time from dropping the game would be good. So either way, it's win-win for me :)

That's why I'll let you decide. ;D

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #171 on: <02-09-12/1338:28> »
It's great being in a win-win situation, but as you are asking for our opinions:
1- First things first, it's really boring when the fifth game you enter in a row ends up before a month of play has yet to pass (and I've applied for six so far, on this site or in others...), so I would really like this one to continue;
2 - I really liked the character I built, and so far I've seen the others using pretty solid concepts, which I feel could make a very interesting group dynamic; I would also like to try this;
3 - And, although you haven't yet showed up the story, you have already showed a little of how you narrate, and I liked it;

If it was up to me, I would ask you to continue.
About the number of players:
So far, I understand that working with a low number is good for the game speed, and it facilitates the GM job, but Shadowrun is a lot about complimentary abilities, and three is really a low number. You know your story better than us, and so far you also know the colective of the characters better than one of us individually, so I guess you can say if another one is needed/proper.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #172 on: <02-09-12/1344:23> »
Again.... I point to my post above Aalithun's

AalithHUN

« Reply #173 on: <02-09-12/1348:35> »
I'd love to play honestly. I watched the whole Sichr thing in slow motion and he broke the golden rule of RP: If the GM drops his foot, his word is law. Hence why I left in the first place, we were butting heads pretty hard over character concept and it just wasn't working because of your ideas of "Good and Bad" qualities. I still have plenty of character concepts sitting and gathering dust if you need me.

Ninja-d :) Let's see how the players feel. As for me, I don't have any hard feelings, just try to minimize arguing. I'm a fair GM, meaning what you cannot do, enemies can't either, so you are not suffering a disadvantage. I wrote an example about the sword wielding Attack-Finishing Move-Full Defense-Riposte-Finishing Move using enemy, which would have been possible with the way Sichr suggested. Obviously, if I've used it in game, people would have argued with me about "punishing them for disagreeing with me".

So if you want something very good for yourself, like instant killing homing bullets, either I'm not gonna let you have them, or somewhere along the way one of the enemies will use them.

In the game which Kour is GM-ing, he wouldn't let me call my binded spirit to action in one IP, I've had to wait for the next until he could act, then wait for the next after that while he materialized to do something with him. It was a drag watching my teammates getting the action while just standing there like a fool, but I've learned from it and devised a new strategy, calculating this into the play. Next time I'll be ready and now I don't have to worry about enemy magicians calling spirits into the fight before I can fry them :)

I could have argued endlessly and quit the game if he doesn't do what I thought was logical or "the good way to interpret the rules" but after a few posts I realized I'm spoiling the fun for others so I stopped and moved on. It's just a game, after all :)

2 Ninja posts! wow

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
« Reply #174 on: <02-09-12/1349:06> »
Let this go on is my Vote, but you need to decide whether there has to be one more player.

Quote from: just my penny
You both were in the Gray zone, and i would have tried to find a golden middle way. Sichr argument about combos had merit, so did yours.

the penalty for Sichr would be the full defence holding for the rest of the CT imagine what the "defended to a previous attack" could accumulate in 4 IP's
For easy use - imagine 3 on 1 Nina kills of the first in one IP combo, then has to stand there for 3 IP's each of them attack Nina
Full defence -1 to -8 on the last attack a -8 is a really strong modifier, and each of them has 4 unhindered attacks just because Nina Wasted her moves on the first one in one go. they can even step out of melee range and use firearms (Dodge+reaction -8) i would not like to be there in place of Nina
Secondly One IP in PbP takes a a few days on CT, week or so. waiting so long for the next move you can make is torture.
RainDragonBar

AalithHUN

« Reply #175 on: <02-09-12/1351:33> »
It's great being in a win-win situation, but as you are asking for our opinions:
1- First things first, it's really boring when the fifth game you enter in a row ends up before a month of play has yet to pass (and I've applied for six so far, on this site or in others...), so I would really like this one to continue;
2 - I really liked the character I built, and so far I've seen the others using pretty solid concepts, which I feel could make a very interesting group dynamic; I would also like to try this;
3 - And, although you haven't yet showed up the story, you have already showed a little of how you narrate, and I liked it;

If it was up to me, I would ask you to continue.
About the number of players:
So far, I understand that working with a low number is good for the game speed, and it facilitates the GM job, but Shadowrun is a lot about complimentary abilities, and three is really a low number. You know your story better than us, and so far you also know the colective of the characters better than one of us individually, so I guess you can say if another one is needed/proper.

4 would be better :) 5 if we want 4 after the next player drops out :) I realize that it's my GM-ing that drops players like flies, so I'm a little sad :(

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
« Reply #176 on: <02-09-12/1355:45> »
In the game which Kour is GM-ing, he wouldn't let me call my binded spirit to action in one IP, I've had to wait for the next until he could act, then wait for the next after that while he materialized to do something with him. It was a drag watching my teammates getting the action while just standing there like a fool, but I've learned from it and devised a new strategy, calculating this into the play. Next time I'll be ready and now I don't have to worry about enemy magicians calling spirits into the fight before I can fry them :)

I could have argued endlessly and quit the game if he doesn't do what I thought was logical or "the good way to interpret the rules" but after a few posts I realized I'm spoiling the fun for others so I stopped and moved on. It's just a game, after all :)
Good that you did not, as i have a definite belief in the IP's meaning, yours are different so will like to see my spirit called in the 2IP use the 3rd and 4th, if you decide to use it, as i have to live here with no re-roll misses with edge  :P

GM = Law
Does not mean we can not try to convince the law to change. ::)
RainDragonBar

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #177 on: <02-09-12/1359:42> »
I might be able to come up with something, but there would need to be some serious relaxing of the restrictions (not to mention the whole quality thing).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

AalithHUN

« Reply #178 on: <02-09-12/1400:29> »
Good that you did not, as i have a definite belief in the IP's meaning, yours are different so will like to see my spirit called in the 2IP use the 3rd and 4th, if you decide to use it, as i have to live here with no re-roll misses with edge  :P

GM = Law

I tried and failed, but at least I can accept defeat gracefully :) Unlike dragon totem magicians for example :)

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
« Reply #179 on: <02-09-12/1403:05> »

GM = Law

I tried and failed, but at least I can accept defeat gracefully :) Unlike dragon totem magicians for example :)
Who me?  :-\
RainDragonBar