NEWS

Drowning in Shadows [OOC]

• 261 Replies

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #150 on: <02-03-12/1213:24> »
Look, I won't get into the merit of who is wrong and who is right here, since I really don't believe this add something to a discussion. There are some clearly poorly-written rules is SR4, and there are even some instances in which some rules go against anothers, so even presenting proof of something is not exactly a subject closing. In almost all the times when these situations apply, I do believe a house rule is what is called for, as it at least "solve" the matter for that particular game.

The only other thing I could add to this discussion is this bit of the SR4A about interrupt actions:
Quote from: SR4A, pg. 148, Interrupt Actions
Characters may even take an interrupt action when they no longer possess an action that pass or Combat Turn, by “buying ahead” their very first action of the next Combat Turn instead (but only the first).

AalithHUN

« Reply #151 on: <02-03-12/1632:49> »
Okay, don't get too serious here. Little :) face means joke. And I meant the "invisible" setup + finishing move earlier.
And this is from the FAQ, but maybe I read something wrong.

How many times can you use an Interrupt Action in a Combat Turn? Could you potentially “borrow” infinite actions this way?

When a character uses an interrupt action, such as Full Defense or Riposte, he uses up his next available action. Characters may even take an interrupt action when they no longer possess an action that pass or Combat Turn, by “buying ahead” their very first action of the next Combat Turn instead, but only the first. They cannot borrow indefinitely (Interrupt Actions, p.148, SR4A).

Because you know, attack, then riposte+finishing move+full defense is not the wildest of the scenarios, but that would mean you do 4 complex actions in one IP.

AalithHUN

« Reply #152 on: <02-03-12/1645:38> »
I'm really starting to loose faith in shadowrun. This GM-ing opens my eyes on things I believed clear as day before, but it seems there is a different interpretation on almost every rule in the book per person. Why can't they just speak clearly? I mean yes, it speaks about combat turn, but it doesn't mention IP-s. And it says "he uses up his next available action" That's not plural. I mean 4 complex action per 1 IP, then Nina stands for 2 IP-s and the first IP in the next combat turn, doing absolutely nothing. In this time, Mike fires 8 shots, defends against a couple of attacks speaks 4 times, or runs around (with his free actions) - just it seems neither possible nor fair.

AalithHUN

« Reply #153 on: <02-03-12/1655:57> »
And just one more thing:
It would mean you cannot use Full Defense with Riposte. Now I think that's the point! Full Defense, as the name suggest is when you use all your energy on Defending. Which means you are going backward and  your only concern is not to open your Defense. That's the point.

From rules perspective: with Full Defense, it's rather easy to block a melee attack. Two people with Agi 6 and Unarmed 6 = attacker uses 12 dice, defender 18. But when you have to defend without full defense, meaning not using both hands to defend, just throwing your left under the attack, and if you block it, punch with the right, then the word riposte has a meaning :)

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #154 on: <02-06-12/1006:33> »
Thinks slowed down a little since the weekend... is everything alright?

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
  • The idea is to die young as late as possible -A.M.
« Reply #155 on: <02-06-12/1010:42> »
Thinks slowed down a little since the weekend... is everything alright?
seems so, GM has not been on since friday
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and expect nothing!
Matrix;speaking;thinking;ExternalSourcesLink
RainDragonBar

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #156 on: <02-06-12/1205:46> »
He's from Hungary and it's currently very cold there.  Maybe he has no power and/or internet at the moment due to the cold.  Woudn't be the first time that happens when it's cold somewhere and it probably wouldn't be the last.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #157 on: <02-07-12/1539:10> »
Okay, that kind of problem is really understandable. Well, let's wait for a while, so.

AalithHUN

« Reply #158 on: <02-08-12/0410:25> »
Sorry, RL issues. But I've been busy, reading, asking around.

After careful consideration:

I rule that stacking interrupt actions on top of each other can and will create impossible scenarios which are not in harmony with Shadowrun's other rules. Actions take time, and this is represented by the combat turn and IP system. With cutting-edge technology or magic, you can move faster than it is humanly possible and through hard training you can even do 2 complex actions in one IP (which is 1 sec for a 3 IP character, meaning 1 complex action in 0,5 sec) - but here's the line, this is already on superhuman level.

I could bring a ton of examples, scenarios, we could draw diagrams but it would spoil the fun in the game. In the Shadowrun FAQ, there is the explanation for this concrete problem and I think arguing that they wrote CT instead of IP is just pointless.

IC is coming up sometimes soon, maybe when I get home. Thanks for the patience. :)

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #159 on: <02-08-12/0853:44> »
Okay, Real Life always comes first, no problem about that.
But I'm glad you returned. The show must go on.  ;D

AalithHUN

« Reply #160 on: <02-09-12/0416:19> »
Okay then. Byebye Sichr. You know it's a sad world where I devote my free time and energy to set up a game and then the players give me the "my way or the highway" policy because I won't let them do a whole combat worth of action in one IP - you may feel it's RAI but until a character can shoot 8-10 times/IP, you will not attack 4-5 times because you've learned 5BP Boxing with 4BP worth of Maneuvers.

Now I understand why there is a bunch of players in this site but only a few games running. I think I'll cancel this one too, it's just not worth the continuous arguing - which I would get either way, because if I let this slide and then bring an enemy with a monofilament katana doing attack-FM-Full Defense-Riposte-FM combos, instant killing your characters in one IP, I would be the bad guy again.

So thanks for the participation, I'll delete the thread tonight at home. Have a nice day :)

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
  • The idea is to die young as late as possible -A.M.
« Reply #161 on: <02-09-12/0451:39> »
Okay then. Byebye Sichr. You know it's a sad world where I devote my free time and energy to set up a game and then the players give me the "my way or the highway" policy because I won't let them do a whole combat worth of action in one IP - you may feel it's RAI but until a character can shoot 8-10 times/IP, you will not attack 4-5 times because you've learned 5BP Boxing with 4BP worth of Maneuvers.

Now I understand why there is a bunch of players in this site but only a few games running. I think I'll cancel this one too, it's just not worth the continuous arguing - which I would get either way, because if I let this slide and then bring an enemy with a monofilament katana doing attack-FM-Full Defense-Riposte-FM combos, instant killing your characters in one IP, I would be the bad guy again.

So thanks for the participation, I'll delete the thread tonight at home. Have a nice day :)
Sichr is just like that, do not mind him, he has been GMing a lot he has his set of rules and they seem not to be the same you have. 
Sorry to see this game go, but if you feel like ending it it's up to you.
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and expect nothing!
Matrix;speaking;thinking;ExternalSourcesLink
RainDragonBar

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #162 on: <02-09-12/0734:48> »
Well, so that's it. Sad, quite sad that this game had the same ending as most had. But it was interesting and I ws liking the way it was going.

Well, I guess so this is farewell and until the next one, unfortunately.

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #163 on: <02-09-12/0913:47> »
Out of curiosity, what happened? I can't see a single Sichr post in the threads.
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #164 on: <02-09-12/0921:25> »
Sichr deleted all his previous posts in the threads, in orders for them not to appear when he clicks "Show new replies to your posts".

In  short, he didn't agree with the way Aalith rules some issues. The last drop for him was on the understanding of the use of interrupt actions, and he decided to quit.