NEWS

Spell Understanding

• 90 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #75 on: <11-05-11/2302:10> »
Dozens of milliseconds is hundreths of a second.  Hundreds of milliseconds is tenths of a second.  If it only takes 10 milliseconds for a pulse laser to dump its energy into a target, then the barrier in question needs to pop up in nanoseconds.  Because that's how long the beam will be in route through the barrier area, putting energy into the target.

Personally, I say if someone created a specific spell to detect laser pulses and linked it to a protective spell, then they should benefit from it.  It won't detect any other kind of attack, as it is hyper-specialized for coherent photon stream detection.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #76 on: <11-05-11/2325:25> »
To be fair, a pulse laser does not fire automatically. So there will be some delay between the trigger being pressed, and the weapon discharging. Capacitors have to build a charge, you have to focus and release the energy, etc. Also, there's the metahuman element, and transmission speeds.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #77 on: <11-06-11/0035:25> »
Understand that it is not 'detect intent to fire a bullet/laser/whatever'; the triggering detect spell is 'Detect Bullet'.

I'd give the detect spell a speed equal to the mage's astral speed, i.e. Magic x 1000 kph.  I'd also define it as being 'always on', always detecting, not 'detect once per simple action the mage has'; it's going off every free action of every action that everyone has.  "There a bullet?  No?  Okay.  There a bullet?  No?  Okay.  There a bullet?  No?  Okay.  There a bullet? Yes? Hey, Shield Spell, wake up!!'  Which means your standard assault rifle bullet (920 m/s, or 3312 kph) is going to beat the spell only if you have a Magic under 4.  Pistols are only gonna beat the burnout with Magic 1 ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #78 on: <11-06-11/0237:32> »
I love this new, simplified SR4 :P

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #79 on: <11-06-11/0342:23> »
Understand that it is not 'detect intent to fire a bullet/laser/whatever'; the triggering detect spell is 'Detect Bullet'.

I'd give the detect spell a speed equal to the mage's astral speed, i.e. Magic x 1000 kph.  I'd also define it as being 'always on', always detecting, not 'detect once per simple action the mage has'; it's going off every free action of every action that everyone has.  "There a bullet?  No?  Okay.  There a bullet?  No?  Okay.  There a bullet?  No?  Okay.  There a bullet? Yes? Hey, Shield Spell, wake up!!'  Which means your standard assault rifle bullet (920 m/s, or 3312 kph) is going to beat the spell only if you have a Magic under 4.  Pistols are only gonna beat the burnout with Magic 1 ...

in that case, I agree.  but if the trigger for the shield is being attacked...
Living the Electronic Dream

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #80 on: <11-06-11/0344:45> »

Oh, it's very simple, really; People just want to nitpick about the details of physics and reinvent the wheel instead of actually paying attention to what the book says.

As Fringe said, the stated definition of the effect's speed is "immediate". "Immediate" is a real, meaningful word that has an actual definition, which is a fact that everyone seems to be forgetting in the joy of showing off how much they know about physics.

Allow me to quote a few sources' definitions of "immediate" for everyone's reference:

Merriam-Webster: "without interval of time"
Reference..com: "without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once; without intervening medium or agent; concerning or affecting directly."
Google Search: "At once; instantly; without any intervening time or space"

Seems pretty cut and dry to me, really. "Without lapse of time" is faster than even a slivered fraction of an entosecond, so the barrier will always go up before the effect. If the designers had intended for some things to be too fast, they would have mentioned something about it.
« Last Edit: <11-06-11/1510:18> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #81 on: <11-06-11/0348:36> »
That, sir, is well played!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #82 on: <11-06-11/0609:21> »
Compared to 3rd, it is much simpler.

My Characters

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #83 on: <11-06-11/0625:15> »

I loved SR3 because RAW and RAI were not the distant cousins like they are now (in SR4A they are like Larry Appleton and Balki Bartokomous - let's see who gets that reference without the use of the internet :P )

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #84 on: <11-06-11/0633:27> »

I loved SR3 because RAW and RAI were not the distant cousins like they are now (in SR4A they are like Larry Appleton and Balki Bartokomous - let's see who gets that reference without the use of the internet :P )

Perfect Strangers.  Excellent show.  Used to watch it all the time.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #85 on: <11-06-11/0643:00> »

Perfect Strangers.  Excellent show.  Used to watch it all the time.

Well, of course you did, don't be ridiculous!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #86 on: <11-06-11/0651:31> »
Yeah, never heard of it. But I prefer 4th because the whole moving target number thing reminded me all too strongly of THAC0, and not in good ways. 4th is much cleaner, in my opinion.

My Characters

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #87 on: <11-06-11/0654:17> »
Yeah, never heard of it. But I prefer 4th because the whole moving target number thing reminded me all too strongly of THAC0, and not in good ways. 4th is much cleaner, in my opinion.

I'm guessing you weren't a big fan of Staging and stuff, either?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #88 on: <11-06-11/0741:10> »
Not really. Didn't get much chance to play 3e, though. I also found the priority system to be a real pain. You want to be an elf with magic and money? Too bad you have no abilities or skills.

But I started gaming with D&D 3.5, and later spread into Hero System and Shadowrun 4th, so the d20 system definitely played a role in my thinking about rpgs.

My Characters

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #89 on: <11-06-11/0824:04> »
Not really. Didn't get much chance to play 3e, though. I also found the priority system to be a real pain. You want to be an elf with magic and money? Too bad you have no abilities or skills.

You don't want to know what SR2 and SR1 CharGen was like ;)