NEWS

Spell Understanding

• 90 Replies

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #15 on: <10-28-11/1105:11> »
Ok, I'll admit the Force 1 Increase Body was a bad example... so here's a different one...

1. Human with a Strength of 4, no augmentation
2. Human with a Strength of 4, but augmented with Muscle Augmentation 2 for a total of 6.

Force requirements:
1. Non-augmented human: You have to use Increase Strength at Force 4+
2. Augmented human: You have to use Increase Strength at Force 6+

Roll both tests, both come out to 3 hits. 3 is less than 4 and less than 6 so no limitations on hits.
Drain tests for both spells, but based on Magic attribute, the Force 6 might be overchannelling.

1. Non-augmented Human now has Strength of 7 (from a Force 4 spell)
2. Augmented Human now has a Strength of 9 (from a Force 6 spell)

Before I continue, does this example mesh with everyone's understanding of this spell?

"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #17 on: <10-28-11/1302:16> »
That's my understanding as well.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

tzizimine

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <10-28-11/1307:55> »
Ok, then the next question, does the Increase [Attribute] spell, once sustained, count as augmented?

I ask, because in Example #2, the augmented human might be at his maximum strength possible (human natural max of 6 x1.5 = 9), so he couldn't get any stronger, even if we dropped this spell and recast a Force 12 and managed (somehow) to get 12 hits??

6 + 12 = 18, which is way over the human absolute max of 9 (even 11 if exceptional attribute and that other genetic quality)...

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #19 on: <10-28-11/1333:46> »
Ok, then the next question, does the Increase [Attribute] spell, once sustained, count as augmented?

I ask, because in Example #2, the augmented human might be at his maximum strength possible (human natural max of 6 x1.5 = 9), so he couldn't get any stronger, even if we dropped this spell and recast a Force 12 and managed (somehow) to get 12 hits??

6 + 12 = 18, which is way over the human absolute max of 9 (even 11 if exceptional attribute and that other genetic quality)...

It does.  The maximum is, in any case, the augmented maximum -- 9 for humans in most everything -- no matter what route you take it.  As I said in my previous:

... have to exceed your current augmented value.  Whether you gain that value through cyber, bio, or someone else's spell is entirely immaterial; your spell must be at least equal to that value.

You could, theoretically, stack spells.  Might not be effective, might be, but there you have it.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

tzizimine

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <10-28-11/1344:22> »
Actually the spell does say that you can only affect one attribute with one Increase spell at a time, so no stacking that way...

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-28-11/1438:44> »
Alright that's how i understand it too. However the way i see it if you are increasing someone magically your increasing their actual abilities.

So for the people with cyberware enhancements i think it would stack obviously not over that maximum of 9 because you can never go past that. but someone with 1 agi, and muscle toner 2 for a total of 3 agi and then you get 4 hits on the increase agi test then you now have 5 agi with muscle toner 2. for a total of 7. I see it as increasing the "human" side of the abilities, and the machine will just increase what is already there.

*shrugs*

I have a question for you however, and i think i know the obvious answer but wanted to see for sure. If you edged one of these tests would it allow you to breach through your augmented maximum?
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

tzizimine

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <10-28-11/1634:57> »
I wouldn't think so... The Force / Hits rule and the Augmented Max rule seem pretty absolute.

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <10-28-11/1648:36> »
I wouldn't think so... The Force / Hits rule and the Augmented Max rule seem pretty absolute.

Yep, though I thought the maximum hits were pretty absolute as well and i recently came to find out edged dice pool breaks that in spells so i just had to ask. :P
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <10-29-11/0721:04> »
Tzizimine, I used to play the spell exactly as you described it.
Regarding the augmented maximum, I consider it as an absolute maximum, no way to exceed it (excpt by raising the maximum, exceptionnal attribute and few other cases).
For me this is a rule based on game balance, not on any "realism analysis". If you give no limit to an attribute you will see minimaxer players  find a way to boost some attributes to insane values which will be game breaker (lot of cyber + adept powers = spells + possessing spirits ...)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-31-11/1718:54> »
Tzizimine, I used to play the spell exactly as you described it.
Regarding the augmented maximum, I consider it as an absolute maximum, no way to exceed it (excpt by raising the maximum, exceptionnal attribute and few other cases).
For me this is a rule based on game balance, not on any "realism analysis". If you give no limit to an attribute you will see minimaxer players  find a way to boost some attributes to insane values which will be game breaker (lot of cyber + adept powers = spells + possessing spirits ...)

I really don't have that problem.... actually out of all the group I would say I the DM am probably the most guilty player since we switch off every so often but we don't let it get out of hand. I just made a 15 agility elf adept just to see how far i could push the envelope stat wise. It was fun making the character if I ever use it however i'm sure there will be checks and balances even against someone who's that kick ass with most weapons. Even if i'm throwing 34 edged dice with a single pistol. xD

but yeah that's how I was ultimately thinking as well. Just needed confirmation is all.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-31-11/2333:19> »
I really don't have that problem.... actually out of all the group I would say I the DM am probably the most guilty player since we switch off every so often but we don't let it get out of hand. I just made a 15 agility elf adept just to see how far i could push the envelope stat wise. It was fun making the character if I ever use it however i'm sure there will be checks and balances even against someone who's that kick ass with most weapons. Even if i'm throwing 34 edged dice with a single pistol. xD

but yeah that's how I was ultimately thinking as well. Just needed confirmation is all.

7 racial max base, +1 genetic mod, +1 exceptional attribute: 9 racial max, + 1/2 (round down, or 4) = 13 maximum augmented Agility elf.  Where are you getting that last racial max point, again?

Gaah.  I need to get into a FtF game so I can get into the nitpicky stuff of the new (i.e. SR4/A) system...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #27 on: <10-31-11/2359:34> »
SURGE. Metagenetic enhancement quality, 20 BP, available in Runner's Companion.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <11-01-11/0100:31> »
Ah-ha.  I see, said the blind man.  Interesting; you can thus acquire a +2 bonus to every attribute (1.6 essence, metavariant or Changeling type, 160 BP / 320 karma) and a total of +3 to one of them.

Nasty.  An elf with both Charisma and Agility at a natural maximum of 10, or augmented of 15.  Worse -- a Vampire or Nosferatu.  Vampire with one at 10, one at 11; Nosferatu able to bring that +3 to INT, LOG, or WIL -- all of which already get +2, sending them to 10/11.

Gaahhh!!  Evil, evil villian.  'What, you thought he was actually dead??"
« Last Edit: <11-01-11/0109:11> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #29 on: <11-01-11/0141:38> »
My old group back home had five levels of "Dead" for villains.  And allies, for that matter.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Register