NEWS

Mechwarrior 5. Can it be? Activity? REALLY?

• 98 Replies

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« on: <10-12-11/1521:59> »
OK, so i stumbled upon this on the MWLL boards.
Who had stumbled upon it on the CBT boards.
https://twitter.com/InnerSphereNews
They have been releasing puzzle parts of a bigger image.
The image of a Mech. Which we experts have, by now, come to tentatively call an Atlas (OMG SQUEE!)
Furthermore, the Bottom of the bigger Picture has some writing on it, that indicates a release date maybe(OMG PLZ!)
The image used for comparing the hidden Mech: http://i.imgur.com/NMjPpl.jpg
The image as complete as possible right now: http://i.imgur.com/lgYGL.jpg
Link to the CBT board which does the re-assemblimg of the snippets: http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,11198.330.html

Don't really know who did the right image in the comparsion one . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <10-12-11/1531:02> »
Nice, could be! Mechwarrior games were so much fun! But I bet this one will make my computer have an aneurysm.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-12-11/1538:21> »
Well, the very first rumors had it be on the Unreal Engine 3, which was supposed to not take up that much computing power, because it also is supposed to work on those weak console thingies people seem to want to use to play games with . .
So maybe it will look really good without needing crysis 1 level hardware to play! O.o
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <10-12-11/1548:52> »
Yeah, I doubt that will work in practice purely because of the extreme expanse of mechwarrior games... I don't care who you are, if your computer has to render Texas and give you ballistics for Gauss rifles that have a maximum effective range of the pacific ocean ... that UT3 engine probably won't work haha.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-12-11/1559:44> »
Remember though, in the Universe of Battletech, the Weapons barely have a reach of 1.5 kilometers . .
Also, if you can't see it, you don't need to render it all. If you make levels that are REALLY BIG . . Make it so that the actual LINE OF SIGHT is NOWHERE near as big . .
See City Maps for example. You basically only need to render the one Street you are walking down at any given moment . .
As long as it does not go in a laser like line from horizon to horizon at least.
This is the main trick the Devs/Map-Makers of MWLL use to get huge fun to play maps that still don't eat your computer whole and demand another deep blue . .

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #5 on: <10-12-11/1624:48> »
This is the same Mechwarrior game that was featured in that teaser trailer from a couple of years ago, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5LP4hJu9k

-k

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-12-11/1637:40> »
But of course it is.
It's either not starting in 3015 or it's going to cover the time from 3015 to 3048.
Also, Dakobu and Mauler were more or less confirmed to have been included too.
So right now, we have the Jenner, the Atlas, the Warhammer, the Mauler and Dakobu.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-12-11/1655:57> »
If there ain't an UrbanMech, it ain't MechWarrior.  Or BattleTech.

So my BattleTech knowledge ended about the time the clans showed up.  Did they keep progressing that story or is it in Bizzaro-time line now?  I may be getting CBT and the Dark Age or whatnot confused.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-12-11/1701:45> »
They kept progressing it  . .
Clan Invasion.
IS Counter-Invasion.
Federated Commonwealth Civil War.
DJIHAAD! < = it started to go downhill here <.<
Civil war between the clans using genetic warfare . .
Then you get to the Dark Age Timeline with the Republic of the sphere.
Then the Power-Outage of the complete inter stellar communications system . .

Also, yes, the Urbie has to be in there somewhere . . even if it's just as a cameo of a news report:"in other news, a lance of urban mechs stood their ground and defended a city against a company of mixed mechs"
Or:"in other news, a company of urban mechs lost a city they defended to a lance of mixed mechs"

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-12-11/1710:43> »
If there ain't an UrbanMech, it ain't MechWarrior.  Or BattleTech.

So my BattleTech knowledge ended about the time the clans showed up.  Did they keep progressing that story or is it in Bizzaro-time line now?  I may be getting CBT and the Dark Age or whatnot confused.
Why? Because while I don't have the books, I don't recall the Urbie appearing till later in production of the game, so early years with no Urbie is fine.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-12-11/1715:01> »
The Urban-Mech is . . a bad joke, basically . .
And kinda the Mascot of Battletech for that reason.
The Underdog Mech, if there is such a thing.
Also, the urban mech hasn't been in ANY Mechwarrior game i think . .
It WAS in MechCommander, and MekTek may have modded it into MW4MercsFreeRelease ..

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-12-11/1717:12> »
The Urban-Mech is . . a bad joke, basically . .
And kinda the Mascot of Battletech for that reason.
The Underdog Mech, if there is such a thing.
Also, the urban mech hasn't been in ANY Mechwarrior game i think . .
It WAS in MechCommander, and MekTek may have modded it into MW4MercsFreeRelease ..
Thanks.
(I should have said I don't have the books any more, would have made more sense.)

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-12-11/1722:45> »
This is not from any book . .
This is, basically, a Battle-Tech-Only-Meme . .
A light Mech (30t) that only moves 3/5(there are 100t Mechs moving 4/6), that has a single AC10 and a light Laser for Weapons. And not much Armor for that weight class either . .

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-12-11/1751:35> »
Yea it was pretty bad, even in 'urban' combat where it was supposed to do well.  But I still love the little buggers.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-12-11/1801:47> »
Everybody does.
For whatever Reason @.@
And yeah, in Urban Combat, NEVER take anything else than a Hunchback . .