NEWS

Sherlock Holmes in the year 2070!

• 30 Replies

CobraCommander

• Newb
« on: <09-10-11/0442:26> »
Hello, me again. So after some thought I've come to the conclusion that it would be pretty awesome if I made a Sherlock Holmes character type. So here's what I have.

The plan is, he isn't going to be doing too much field work. Mostly a researcher point of view.

BodY:3
Agility: 3
Reaction: 3
Strength: 1
Charisma: 4
Intuition: 5
Logic: 5[8]
Willpower: 4

Skills
Perception (sight) 6[8]
Biotech 2
Electronics 2
Influence 2
Stealth 2
Navigation 2
Tracking 2
Locksmith 2
Dodge 3
Pistols 2
Chemistry 1

Qualities
Perceptive (10)
Analytical Mind (5)
College Education (5)
Linguist (5)
Technical Education (5)
Lost Loved One (5)
Mild Addiction (BTL) (5)
Uncommon Severe Ellergy (Gold) (15)
SINner (5)

Cyber/Biowar
Cyber eyes
Cbyer ears
Alpha Mnomonic Enhancer
Cerebral Booster
Sim Module
Datajack

Again, I'm falling into the same problem I was having with my last thread. I just can't think of what to give him for knowledge skills. I got 30 points worth to choose from. I also have 21 BP left to spend. And since my group is house ruling 10 free BP to spend on contacts max connection 3, I may spend this on lots of contacts. A bunch of 1/1 and 2/2 a few 3/3 4/2 type guys. I just wouldn't know whom to pick for contacts either.

Thanks for any tips
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: <09-10-11/0530:19> »
Possible knowledge skills (with possible contacts):
-investigation techniques (detective; police or PI)
-forensic science (coroner, crime scene tech)
-criminal psychology (detective, federal agent, criminal profiler, psychologist)
-psychology (duh *grin*)
-sociology (university professor, grad student)
-police procedures (patrol officer, detective)
-criminal law (district attourney, lawyer)
-criminal syndicates/most wanted lists (criminal of choice, federal agent/police from appropriate task force, bounty hunter)
-gangs (police, gang member)
-music (Holmes liked to play the Violin if memory serves)
-illegal substances (gamg member, gang lieutenant, drug dealer, federal agent/police officer)
-black market operations (black market member, federal agent)

Note: federal agent/police can be swaped with corporate counterpart.

Just a few off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: <09-10-11/0538:41> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Solomon

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-10-11/1005:38> »
Sherlock Holmes was incredibly skilled in pistols, cane fighting and boxing. You are missing some elements here... I am playing a very Holmes type character right now myself and he is a physical adept with a lot of perception based powers and looking to get a few bits of ware to help out in the goal of discovering everything and anything.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <09-10-11/1054:03> »
Has he written a monograph on the identification of the reside of tobacco ashes?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <09-10-11/1100:45> »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRPpejRHFTQ
Nothing personal, UmaroVI, but I have to kill you now. It's a standing rule of mine that anybody that brings up that horrid cartoon that disparages one of my greatest obsessions must pay dearly.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <09-10-11/1109:52> »
Yes, that cartoon was quite, quite horrible!  Everything went pear shaped in it in a jiffy!

I'd continue on, but it's tea time.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #7 on: <09-10-11/1113:40> »
Attention Coprocessors seems like a natural fit, just off the top of my head.  You might want to addict him to Betel, on top of the BTLs (which I'm assuming are standing in for morphine?  You could use Bliss for that instead), especially since it's another +1 to Perception.

But yeah, I'd try to shuffle around a few points and make him a little better in a fight, if you can.  For starters, it's just handy to have in a Shadowrun game, but secondarily it's important to remember Sherlock was actually kind of a badass.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <09-10-11/1137:43> »
7% solution of heroin to distilled water.  Completely legal at the time, BTW.  Beyer (Yes, the Aspirin people) has the patent on the name heroin, as well.  (EDIT:  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was Doctor Arthur Conan Doyle, and possibly figured out the exact dosage as part of his business to make the character more real.).

BTL is a better choice for a Shadowrun Holmes, however, as it'd be something that would totally distract him from the boredom that was his personal demon, the reason for his addiction.  Bliss would actually make his boredom worse, and would be a horrible choice for the character concept.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <09-10-11/1445:02> »
It wasn't heroin, it was cocaine. And, yes, that was legal then too.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <09-10-11/1502:39> »
It wasn't heroin, it was cocaine. And, yes, that was legal then too.
Why so it is.  Damn.

The sad part is that I wrote a Monograph on the comparison of Holmes in High School...   :'(

'Course, my brain isn't in the condition it used to be in.  Too many blows to the head over the years.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #11 on: <09-10-11/1517:37> »
Holmes isn't a character that fits inside a 400 pt frame.  Also I am more able to see him as aadept than cybered.  He was a good boxer and swordsman but his pistols was subpar.  His favorite move was clasp a pistol against someones head to make them surrender.  His chemistry, charisma, strength, acting ability, disguise, and area knowledge skills are higher to expert.  He is a mystery junkie who would drug up when he had no problem to solve.  I like the new PBS modern Sherlock take on the character.  Espically the episode,  A Study In Pink.

Also I would have dropped the Gold Allergy and went with Rival/brother Mycroft or Enemy/Moriority.
« Last Edit: <09-10-11/1523:12> by John Shull »
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <09-10-11/1522:30> »
Robert Downey Jr. also made a decent Holmes.  The scene where he's completely ignoring Watson while plucking at the violin reminded me of many of the books I've read, picturing the character doing just such weird things.

Ah, youth...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-10-11/1529:29> »
You're character is awesome.  I am a HUGE Sherlock fan and investigation is big in my game.  I actually created a Sherlock skill group.

Skill Groups (GM Created)
Sherlock (Intuition)
Perception: the process of using the senses to acquire information about an individual
Specializations:
Lie Detection: By reading facial expressions you can sense lies (Think Lie To Me)
Inference (think of the scene in Young Sherlock Holmes when Holmes meets Watson)
Sense Motive
Scan: the process of using the senses to acquire information about the surrounding environment
Specializations:
Threat assessment (think The Fifth Element when Corbin Dallas assesses the hostage
situation in a couple of seconds)
Noticing Details: Think Monk

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #14 on: <09-10-11/1620:43> »
Robert Downey Jr. also made a decent Holmes.  The scene where he's completely ignoring Watson while plucking at the violin reminded me of many of the books I've read, picturing the character doing just such weird things.

Ah, youth...
Have you checked out the new BBC Sherlock series starting Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman? If not, get on Netflix and check it out now!