NEWS

More questions from a new DM don't you love us?

• 134 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #90 on: <08-12-11/1641:14> »
Then your not a monster are you :P.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #91 on: <08-12-11/1954:27> »
Not that kind.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #92 on: <08-12-11/2331:55> »
i can totally feel the some folks just like dragons, agree with the not all dragons keep their claws unsullied and certainly see the desire to include dragons in your SR world. as you say we're playing the "heroes", if the heroes don't see the stuff that others only dream about, why have it the world.

i just think you shouldn't use it so often that they feel the dragon is less awe inspiring than it should be. this is a creature that hibernates for like 6000 years when the mana level is too low. they think in ages, eons and millenia. they do really rock when played right. haughty, arrogant, "wise" and powerful, and that's the one who woke up last month.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #93 on: <08-14-11/0520:09> »
I think the real answere here is "Some people like Dragons".

I know I do. My current adventure arc has none, which makes me sad, but I intend to correct this at some point in the future.
My tattoos will attest that I also like dragons ;) which is why I don't want to see them become either commonplace or cliched.

To have them as a background villain makes great sense. But unless there's a reason for it to be a dragon, SR has many other delicious villain options to choose from.

If people are using dragons 'just because they can' I think it's a terible waste....
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #94 on: <08-14-11/1737:23> »
If people are using dragons 'just because they can' I think it's a terible waste....
not if they use the Dragons sparingly ;)

He who dances with the Dragons
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #95 on: <08-14-11/1810:53> »
Not if you don't know they're dragons.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

darcdante

• Newb
« Reply #96 on: <08-14-11/1938:48> »
Not if you don't know they're dragons.

I'm a newb to SR, of course, but not to gaming in general, and I wholeheartedly agree. Dragons can take many forms, and it can be a great surprise if someone they thought was a low-level whatever suddenly turns out to be much, much more.

But a friend and I played a D&D3e campaign for a bit at our FLGS and the FIRST adventure involved dragons in their natural form. Granted, the DM at the time was using his own home-made world, but I generally think all settings (SR included) should have a general rule: dragons are badass, use sparingly (at least in their natural form).

However, an awesome campaign could probably be built where the characters are being used by a dragon from the get-go for his own personal gain; they just don't find that out until they've earned dozens of karma. Maybe he's their fixer for the first 20 runs; then, on run 21, tries to get them killed off to cover his tracks. How do you enact revenge against a dragon? Many peopel might think that a dragon doesn't want to get his hand dirty like that, preferring to work deep in the shadows, but it's been rumored that Ghostwalker has lost some of his power. Maybe there's a reason for that...
darc

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #97 on: <08-14-11/2002:35> »
I gave my group two choices for getting Taxis in the Barrens:  Ghoul Cab and Dragon Taxi.

They called up Dragon Taxi, and got a Dragon in a Turban with his "Voice".  Three words, and they hung up.

They used Ghoul Cab ever since.  It was a cheaper choice for them anyhow, and occasionally they paid in fresh bodies.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #98 on: <08-15-11/0322:00> »
gave my group two choices for getting Taxis in the Barrens:  Ghoul Cab and Dragon Taxi.

They called up Dragon Taxi, and got a Dragon in a Turban with his "Voice".  Three words, and they hung up.

They used Ghoul Cab ever since.  It was a cheaper choice for them anyhow, and occasionally they paid in fresh bodies.

This is a really fun idea, I think.  I'm very tempted to do something similar myself.
« Last Edit: <08-15-11/0502:09> by Fallen »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #99 on: <08-15-11/1118:19> »
Feel free.  I'll see if I can dig up the quotes I had for the Ghoul Cab answers to any calls.

EDIT:  A SMALL list of what I had written.  I think I lost the notebook.  :(
« Last Edit: <08-15-11/1123:54> by CanRay »

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #100 on: <08-15-11/1945:07> »
Feel free.  I'll see if I can dig up the quotes I had for the Ghoul Cab answers to any calls.

EDIT:  A SMALL list of what I had written.  I think I lost the notebook.  :(

I like the arm and a leg one. Where those cabs just so your people could get around? XD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #101 on: <08-15-11/1957:12> »
Ghoul Cab was the only Taxi Company other than Dragon Taxi that DID NOT CARE where you called from, they came and picked you up and delivered you.

Deepest, darkest z-zone barrens?  Fifteen minutes.

That'll be 500¥ for the pick-up alone.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #102 on: <08-15-11/2147:38> »
and yet an armored palanquin carried by a squad of dzoo-nu-qua would seem so much more fun.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #103 on: <08-15-11/2151:21> »
Sorta-kinda.

*Seeing Ghoul Cab for the first time*  "You're NOT getting out of the car!"  "And get robbed by you lot, forget it.  Just get in and let's go, the meter is running already."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #104 on: <08-16-11/1348:45> »
I got a question about explosives. It's a thing I've been using on the fly. I've looked at the grenade section and it shows a 1 2 3 4 5 6 spread. Is that the way the explosion goes out? If so is it totally possible not to get hit by a grenade that lands near you? Also does the damage fade with distance?

Reading further into the book, i'm curious does everyone do the award karma on those things? I've noticed if you play with a smaller group More Karma per character tends to be given out, than a larger group. Thoughts? I remember reading somewhere for 2,500 credits per karma equation somewhere in this topic. I'm afraid I may have been giving my guys dirt cheap jobs, though in truth. I'm not sure they've faced anything overtly challenging like breaking into a security building. Though this mission they are currently where Wyoming State used to be. The Sioux Territory in a city with an outbreak virus that they delievered. (>.> they crashed their plane xD) anyways think RE Racoon City and you get the picture) Not sure how they are going to make money out of this one but it should be interesting to say the least.

I wonder if Ghouls look like zombies... if so i could add that in, and they'd probably shoot first and ask questions later until it talks to them. xD