NEWS

ArmTech MGL-6 ranges?

• 2 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <06-04-11/1320:25> »
On Arsenal, pg. 31, the ArmTech MGL-6 is stated as the pistol version of the MGL-12 found in the main book. However, I am surprised it appears to use the same range as the MGL-12? Also, I am trying to find its concealability rating. I did check the errata, and did not see mention there.

Thanks for the help, folks.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-04-11/1352:25> »
The range of a grenade launcher is determined by the round, as that's what contains the propellant, not the gun. Shadowrun also treats all grenade launchers, ever, as thump guns, so you don't really have to worry about reduced accuracy due to a shorter barrel.

As for concealability, it states that its the pistol version of the gun, and thus should fall under the umbrella category of "Pistol Sized." Considering its a grenade launcher, I would personally say its the same size as a Heavy Pistol, and thus +0. But your GM may be generous and say Light Pistol, for -2.

Either way, as a Pistol sized weapon, you could fit it in a Hidden Arm Slide.

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #2 on: <06-04-11/1804:01> »
The range of a grenade launcher is determined by the round, as that's what contains the propellant, not the gun. Shadowrun also treats all grenade launchers, ever, as thump guns, so you don't really have to worry about reduced accuracy due to a shorter barrel.
Your statement is only partially true... Range is a combination of both the round and the barrel length to a certain point (barrel length is needed to burn all the propellant). In the case of 40mm grenade launchers the standard barrel length isn't very long to begin with and the round doesn't have the propellant to reach velocities that a longer barrel would change the facts (the GL-87 looks like it's in 40mm). The range is increased with a spring system as illustrated by the mk19, where it has 2-500lbs springs helping to throw the rounds 10x what a m203 can achieve.

With "minigrenades" and the capacities of SR4 GLs they are probably closer to something like FRAG-12 (12 gauge shotgun rounds), but a bit longer to accommodate the 2.5x range increase. The ranges it achieves would imply needing a longer barrel or spring system. Even an m203 angled at 45 degrees can only achieve 400m in a no wind environment (some would argue only with a tail wind), but with how SR ranges are based it's extreme range would be 150m (max effective range on point targets).

With nothing but the pictures to go off of between the two weapons there is a significant difference in barrel length (or lack of spring system in the pistol version, if it's used). Since the big versions range is roughly comparable to ARs I would say you should use something between Shotgun and Heavy Pistols range.

As for concealability, it states that its the pistol version of the gun, and thus should fall under the umbrella category of "Pistol Sized." Considering its a grenade launcher, I would personally say its the same size as a Heavy Pistol, and thus +0. But your GM may be generous and say Light Pistol, for -2.

Either way, as a Pistol sized weapon, you could fit it in a Hidden Arm Slide.
It's probably right around the same size as the Remington Roomsweeper
« Last Edit: <06-04-11/1807:34> by savaze »