NEWS

Pharmaceuticals

• 20 Replies

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #15 on: <05-14-11/1724:55> »
The false front description actually says it can be synthesized by a chemical gland, actually.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Denver Doc

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <06-08-11/1338:17> »
The restriction against manufactured drugs vs. naturally occurring substances only exists for game balance purposes.  There are plenty of natural substances that take us so many thousands of times the resources to create in a lab where some synthesis of other compounds are simple but do not occur in nature... for a number of reasons; no evolved need, toxic (but not useful), etc. .  And before someone argues that this proves their point about only natural products, we still don't understand how many natural products are actually created because we don't understand how the natural organisms put it all together.  With the right kind of technology you could rearrange damn near any organic compound into a target compound.  Now this could lead to some bizarre deficiencies in your body if the gland was aggressive enough, it needs to get its resources from somewhere it doesn't just show up miraculously.  Of course BADs are an entirely different subject as even in 2072 they don't fully understand how they work, what with the magical component.  Additionally I can't speak for combat drugs of the future but I can tell you that modern amphetamines would be fairly simple for these glands to create... IF it wasn't simply a matter of game balance.

Tell the doctor where it hurts.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #17 on: <06-08-11/1404:14> »
I wouldn't really agree with your definition of what a designer drug is, so this would never fly with me atleast.

While the argument is weak overall, the definition of designer drug I used is the definition of a designer drug (source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/designer+drug).
Doing an dictionary attack on your GM is very likely to make you a target of an orbital bovine bombardment ;)

And while that may be the dictionary definition, it's not really how it's used in the contex.

Orbital bovine bombardment! Feche la vashe!

I never used cows, when I was GMing, but one of my teams did witness what happens when you piss off a very powerful rogue AI when there's a suborbital cargo plane hauling home appliances flying over.

Even a hardened combat vet will pause for reflection on their life choice when their team leader gets flattened by a Whirlpool.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <06-08-11/1838:53> »
I used a cow in a session once.

It was the most pain in the hoop game my group ever went through.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Yorick

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <06-10-11/1901:18> »
i could see a shadowrun for the extraction of a cow. IRL they are already doing genetic engineering to animals so that the milk would have drugs in it, as a cheaper way to produce the chemicals.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <06-10-11/2001:37> »
i could see a shadowrun for the extraction of a cow. IRL they are already doing genetic engineering to animals so that the milk would have drugs in it, as a cheaper way to produce the chemicals.
And you guessed why they had to extract the cow.

Now, what drug?   ;D  (Hint:  It was the group's Mob Connection that was demanding the extraction "*RIGHT FRAGGIN' NOW!*" because they influenced things that caused the company to go belly up, and it was being audited.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11