NEWS

6e Underwater Combat

• 5 Replies

cuidaBeja

• Newb
« on: <07-23-23/0033:31> »
My co-gm and I are planning on a submersible mission, but it seems like while there are submarines, submersibles, and plenty of aquatic cyberware (big Body Shop fan) it seems that 6e doesn't have underwater combat rules yet? At least I can't remember seeing them and I believe I've at least skimmed all the 6e books.

Anyone have guidance from past editions? We have cash to invest in some one-off toys, it's just a matter of some basic framework and stats.
Shadowrun may not be the dystopia we want but we should be careful that it's not the one we get . . .

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <07-24-23/2207:16> »
Away from books so I can't check, but I do believe this was covered in a 4e or 5e book...
It wasn't one of the 'usual' ones (gun, cyber, or player companion). And I am also sure it wasn't 'War!'.

I'll check and get back to you, if someone else doesn't first.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-25-23/1013:55> »
Run & Gun (5E) has rules for underwater combat (and space combat and... etc)... personally I'd go with handwavium rules... explosions and sonic weapons work well, others less so, matrix signals don't travel very far (if at all), and magic is only as good as far as you can see...
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-25-23/1026:00> »
My co-gm and I are planning on a submersible mission, but it seems like while there are submarines, submersibles, and plenty of aquatic cyberware (big Body Shop fan) it seems that 6e doesn't have underwater combat rules yet? At least I can't remember seeing them and I believe I've at least skimmed all the 6e books.

Anyone have guidance from past editions? We have cash to invest in some one-off toys, it's just a matter of some basic framework and stats.
done  :P

For real though, 6e doesn't have any underwater combat rules, so you'll have to make up your own.  What situation are you trying to do, when you say underwater combat?  knife fights in scuba gear, megalodons attacking a submarine, or sub-to-sub torpedos?

I'd recommend keeping things as simple as you can, so I'd first establish an Edge hierarchy.  If someone is physically adapted and trained for the sea, like merfolk, they get Edge over anyone who isn't.  Someone who is neither of those things will lose edge to everyone, and someone who is one of those things is in the middle.

Create a Knowledge skill for underwater combat that represents training, and give your players opportunity to learn it.

If a character is untrained in underwater combat, they lose the ability to gain and spend Edge.

Aside from that, what rules are needed?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <07-26-23/2309:01> »
Aria was right... Run and gun was the book.

I
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-09-23/2202:16> »
Barring a future set of rules designed to cover underwater combat... it's generally the realm of Edge.  Does the weapon work just as well underwater as above water, like a knife or speargun?  Probably no edge penalty, or maybe even bonus edge do its appropriateness.  Does the weapon work terribly underwater, like a club?  Not only would you probably generate no edge at all (even from AR or attribute mastery) but maybe you can't even spend any existing edge!  All GM call.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.