NEWS

Neural Amplifiers and Defaulting

• 4 Replies

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« on: <04-17-11/1443:10> »
Ok, I have a question about Cyberware/Nanotech/etc. that augments Intuition or Logic based skills.  Say for example Limbic Nanites.  Does this modifier apply even when you don't have said Intuition/Logic based skill and you are defaulting?  I could see arguments for or against, so please enlighten me and if anyone can find some RAW that would be really helpful.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-17-11/1544:13> »
There's nothing in the rules that stops you from getting dicepool bonuses to your pool when defaulting.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-17-11/1657:30> »
When defaulting, you're still using the skill. Your skill level just happens to be zero and your basically doing it the first time.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #3 on: <04-17-11/1722:20> »
As long as the augmentation in question doesn't provide a "skill bonus", you're good.

Limbic Nanites, for example, "increase the user's dice pool"; therefore, you get the bonus, even when you don't have the particular skill.

Without hunting for an example, anything that says "provides a bonus to the character's skill", you need to have two ranks of the skill in question per point of bonus to get the appropriate effect (SR4A, pg. 118).
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #4 on: <04-17-11/2025:37> »
From a logical/fluff perspective, defaulting exists because there are actions/skills that everyone is familiar with to some extent, even if they have not dedicated any significant time to studying it.  Neural Amplifier nanites work to access and organize information in a person's brain to achieve maximum utility.  I don't think that it's particularly more true of information gained from study than information gained from exposure.  So, if you watch a documentary on string theory, you're certainly not going to be as familiar with it as someone who took a couple weeks to read and digest a book about it, but that information is still stored in your brain, and with the Neural Amplifiers, it is reinforced.

Reading the entry, it seems like it really works by automatically simulating the action of studying information.
Neural amplifiers use soft nanites to manufacture artificial neurons and   
expand neural pathways between specific parts of the brain’s or   
body’s neural network. After growing the expanded neural ar-
chitecture, the dedicated nanite colony falls into a support role,   
electrochemically stimulating the newly-formed pathways—a   
process which emulates natural reinforcement of neural pathways   
in the brain through learning, practice, and experience.

From the point of Knowledge skills, well, knowledge skills are really weird in that they have scaling detail.
So, being able to default on, say, knowledge of a single arbitray person is ridiculous, but being able to default on knowledge of a larger group perhaps is not.  But the kind of information gained from the hits on such a test are certainly not the same.

So, the question is how far are you willing to break down a knowledge skill?  Can you default on categories?  So, you want to know about a nitro, but you don't have a nitro knowledge skill (why would you?) so you jump up a level to the street drugs knowledge skill, well you don't have that either.  Does that mean that you need to default up to the general category of "Street Knowledge" and hope that you get enough hits to provide in depth knowledge on the topic?

Like, how long does nitro last? 
KS nitro: 1 hit = answer
KS street drugs: 2 hits = answer
KS street knowledge: 4 hits = answer
« Last Edit: <04-17-11/2035:17> by Kontact »

Register