NEWS

Forum Squatters

• 43 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #15 on: <09-15-10/1747:15> »
AFAIK, the mods didn't really grab any in game handles (Though I suggested it).  With the exception of Captain Chaos, I think.  I mostly wanted to lock them down because, no offense to Fastjack or anyone else, I'm a fan of finding your own nickname, and not just cribbing one from the game whose forum you're playing on and posting to.  I'm a fan of individual identity.  *shrug*

As for Squattors, dunno.  I'll kick one of the mods when he gets home from work tonight and point him at this, and let them discuss it and decide if it's something to deal with.

Bull

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <09-15-10/1757:19> »
None taken. When I registered, I thought it was a long shot. But I burned some Edge and tried for it anyway. ;D

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #17 on: <09-16-10/1429:56> »
[River Tamm]Lurker is a lazy name.[/River Tamm] Now if for rinstance someone came in here as say, JadeHellbringer. That is a totally original name by a known personality and is just wrong.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #18 on: <09-16-10/1727:28> »
[River Tamm]Lurker is a lazy name.[/River Tamm] Now if for rinstance someone came in here as say, JadeHellbringer. That is a totally original name by a known personality and is just wrong.

"Iiiii'm the cult of personaaaaalityyyyyy...."

OK, as far as this goes, the decision would be made higher up the totem pole than my mere moderator status, but certainly can be looked into. For now, to be honest, we're so busy trying to deal with all the thrice-damned spambots to do much else! ;)
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <09-16-10/2318:57> »
I've only stumbled on someone taking Chaotic Insane before I did ONCE. Which is impressive, considering it's a variation on "chaotic nutzo" which is a bit of an inside joke at our table. I was more than a little miffed since finding an SN that ISN'T taken on an MMO is a feat.

But we have people copying other's names on my horse sim aaaaall the time, especially since there isn't a filter stopping anyone from sharing names. This would be all fine and dandy if they didn't try and pass off as being a spare account for a well-known player, mods, or the admin. Or just random players that pissed them off, copy their name, and then spam chatrooms with obscenities trying to pin it on their target like we can't see IP adresses. *eyeroll*

As far as people who don't post... Well, if my dad wasn't here I'd JUST lurk, and even then I'm still lurking probably twice as much as I'm actively posting. I'm surprised Doomy's posted as much as he has since he's usually a grade A lurker. However, stealing other people's SNs and just lurking, while not as bad as trying to impersonate that person, is infuriating. There'd be some shit flying if someone tried to take Chaotic Insane (or black magius/black robe) anywhere related to where I'm actually kinda known (horse sims/horse art community on dA).
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #20 on: <09-17-10/0014:25> »

It's not Lurker, actually, but LurkerOutThere.  So it is a fairly unique name.  He's quite vocal on Dumpshock, and he's clashed with a few folks there.  So it's entirely possible that if someone is squatting his name, they're doing it to be a douchenozzle.

Bull

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <09-18-10/1416:03> »
Unfortunately Bull is right.  Personally I like Lurkeroutthere.  We get along fine.  And the reality is this makes me glad I didn't post that much over there.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #22 on: <09-18-10/1510:03> »
It's kinda crappy that someone would steal another persons name like this. I hope LurkerOutThere get's his name back. Can't belive someone would do this to a fellow Omahain *shakes fist*
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Juxtamon

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <09-18-10/1635:04> »
I'm lucky (or odd) enough that my favourite nicknames are not generally ones that others come up with, or steal, or squat on.  That's so visual...

And Bull, I applaud you specifically for the term 'douchenozzle'.   That's up there with calling someone a Belgian chicken sock.

Heh.

"Was it in Tahiti?  Were we on the Nile?"

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <11-08-10/2300:34> »
None taken. When I registered, I thought it was a long shot. But I burned some Edge and tried for it anyway. ;D

No relation . . .
 ;) ::)

The Laughing Man

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <11-11-10/0154:33> »
I apologize if it appears that I'm "squatting" on someone's name. I chose this name because I'm fan of the canon character (and of the GITs character as well.) Not to keep someone else off it.

I don't post often out of laziness, not to be a jerk . Sorry if I've given the wrong impression :)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #26 on: <11-11-10/0844:55> »
Apologies TLM! I was only going by what I saw in the statistics when I made the post.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #27 on: <11-11-10/1344:05> »
Howmany of our 5300 members are spambots? :P
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: <11-11-10/1405:49> »
Actually, any spambots that post are banned, and the banned list is removed from the members list, so any spammers that haven't posted are bad spammers anyway.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #29 on: <11-11-10/1439:42> »
Wow... that must be depressing. To be such Epic Fail that you Fail at Spamming.