NEWS

What are you currently readin'?

• 510 Replies

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #15 on: <04-20-11/1604:54> »
As far as Shadowrun goes, I've been plodding through War! for what seems like forever, but it really hasn't been able to hold my interest. I ended up buying and reading Attitude instead, which I've liked a lot more. Just found a used copy of a sourcebook I'd never seen before called SOX. Good news, it looks interesting. Bad news, it's in German. (And while I can speak a little German, apparently I can't read it worth a damn.) It was only three bucks, so it's fine if it just collects dust on my shelf. Question: it's appears to be 4th Edition (2007, FanPro)... did they ever release an English version?

As far as non-Shadowrun books. I just finished The Party by Richard McGregor (an excellent non-fiction work on the Chinese Communist Party) and started reading Lee Kuan Yew's memoirs.
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #16 on: <04-20-11/1754:20> »
Shadowrun:  As always, an awful lot of them are getting juggled around as I research, etc.  Currently sprawling open on my computer desk are SR4A, Arsenal, Shadowbeat, Tir na nOg, and A Killing Glare.

For fun:  When I'm burned out on grad school readings, I'm working on The Name of the Wind right now, and enjoying it quite a bit.  Rothfuss' main character, Kvothe, feels a little Mary Sue-ish at times...but all in all it's really been an excellent read so far. 

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <04-20-11/1828:32> »
For fun:  When I'm burned out on grad school readings

Just finished my Disaster Recovery/Forensics class for my MBA, about to start a Crypto class - will be sorely disappointed if Schneier's works aren't in there. But yeah, I feel you - I'm somewhat toasty from the readings so I'm on mental vacation with some nice zombie apocalypse stuff. Feed by Mira Grant, the Day By Day books from JL Bourne. Fun books with no mental heavy lifting involved.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #18 on: <04-20-11/1858:37> »
Taken individually, I like all my assigned readings just fine.  If I wasn't learning, I wouldn't be doing. 

What's getting to me more than anything else is the monotony of my routine;  when I'm not reading/researching/writing for school, I'm reading/researching/writing for Shadowrun.  I need to get a new hobby to toss into the mix, just to get up and away from my computer and stacks of books from time to time.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <04-20-11/1914:07> »
I'm insane and have a laser printer.  I typically print out PDF-Only books for when I can't have a game near a computer.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #20 on: <04-20-11/1918:41> »
That must play hell with your ink and paper expenses! Ever consider buying a tablet? It may actually save you money.
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <04-20-11/1930:29> »
I did mention the "Insane" part, right?  :P

Can't afford a tablet.  :(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #22 on: <04-21-11/1746:34> »
Just got through with Black Sword Blues.  Not a bad book kinda reminds me of Shadowrun if dragons and magic users had kept a low profile.

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #23 on: <04-22-11/1014:25> »
Reading:

Pathfinder Inner Sea Guide

I thumbed through that, it was very similiar to Sixth World Almanac in presentation; also seemed darn useful.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #24 on: <04-22-11/1037:54> »
Reading:

Pathfinder Inner Sea Guide

I thumbed through that, it was very similiar to Sixth World Almanac in presentation; also seemed darn useful.

If your going to use Golarian as your setting this ones worth a look or a buy, $9 for the pdf make it an easy decision.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #25 on: <04-22-11/1040:44> »
I did mention the "Insane" part, right?  :P

Can't afford a tablet.  :(

I'm a hardcopy junkie myself.  Usually print out pdf only products but can't afford to do full books.  Wouldn't mind a tablet I could drag around with me.  Curious whats the preferred tablet for pdf use?   Whats everyone using at their game table? (Preferably something cheaper then an ipad 2.)
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <04-22-11/1044:35> »
So finished class last night (94 percent going into the final!), and was looking to find something fun to read. Well I wasn't quite in the mood for zombie lit (*gasp* *shock*) so I decided to pick up Richard K. Morgan again and reread the Takeshi Kovacs series again. Bout a 1/4 into Altered Carbon and just loving it. Great book, great series. Also ordered a dead tree copy of the Aubry Knight books from Steven Barnes (No Kindle love  :( )
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <04-22-11/1052:33> »
I'm a hardcopy junkie myself.  Usually print out pdf only products but can't afford to do full books.  Wouldn't mind a tablet I could drag around with me.  Curious whats the preferred tablet for pdf use?   Whats everyone using at their game table? (Preferably something cheaper then an ipad 2.)

The Superpad 10 inch
http://www.amazon.com/Superpad-Tablet-Google-Android-Webcam/dp/B004HIXDEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1303483689&sr=1-1

Sylvania 10 inch
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SYTAB10MT-10-Inch-Magni-Tablet/dp/B004GKM61G/ref=sr_1_8?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1303483636&sr=1-8

Viewsonic gTablet
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-gTablet-Multi-Touch-Screen-Android/dp/B004EPV7TK/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

I'm considering a gTablet, but may wait and see what happens with the rumored Amazon tablet.

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #28 on: <04-22-11/1328:07> »
When it comes to tablets, I recommend either saving up for a good one (like the iPad 2) or just not buying one. At the very least, try before you buy... there are a lot of cruddy tablets out there.

Rascal

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <04-24-11/1436:59> »
Also involved with Rothfuss. "The Name Of The Wind" had my full attention, and Iīm halfway through "The Wise Manīs Fear" by now. Best reading since "The Lies Of Locke Lamora"/"Red Seas Under Red Skies" (Nice bird, asshole)!

In the RPG-section: Seattle 2070 for a new campaign with my group. I want the city to feel like home, and that book really helps!
"If you donīt stop driving through walls Iīm going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"

Register