NEWS

Spellcasting LOS and Gestures

• 24 Replies

Coweater

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <03-24-11/0235:20> »
Is there any special software the rigger needs on his com link to share video feeds from drones? Or can all commlinks/control rig share video? The team does not have tacnet as yet.

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #16 on: <03-24-11/0341:04> »
It's not hard for the rigger to port the video feed to a screen or to someone's commlink (not 'natural' line-of-sight so no spell targeting through it...)

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #17 on: <03-24-11/0413:13> »
Yeah, sharing something like video feed isn't even hard today.
Ever use VLC?  That functionality is built in.  All a guy needs is the IP address, or in SR terms, their Matrix ID.

If they can buy-pass a Computer (2) test (eg, their dice pool for Computer + Logic is 8 or higher,) I say let them share their feed, no problems.

Translucent

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <02-23-12/1720:38> »
New view on this.  So what if player A is a rigger, player B is doing sniper duty.  player A is pushing a video feed from his/her drone over to player B in real time.  Player B wants to use this feed to shoot peeps through doors, cheap walls, etc.  It this allowed?  can the video feed somehow include gps info that would allow the sniper to get lat/long and calculate his/her shot from that?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #19 on: <02-23-12/1734:17> »
You would have to do some serious math to get the shot right. Even assuming the bullet could make it through the walls and still have lethal force. So sniper? Highly unlikely. Guy with heavy weapons? Sure. An HMG, grenade launcher, or assault cannon would do the job nicely.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Halancar

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <02-23-12/1804:49> »
Can the video feed somehow include gps info that would allow the sniper to get lat/long and calculate his/her shot from that?

It seems to me that this is totally the role of a smartlink, although it may require the rigger's drone to have one too to make it work.

Oh, and sniper rifle tend to have the same caliber as HMG to begin with, so it should penetrate at least a light wall. They certainly do even today.

Rulewise, that's Shooting Through Barriers, SR4A p.166, or Destroying Barriers, just under it (if you prefer to make a hole first, then shoot the target). And yes, a sniper rifle should do just fine against light barriers, but don't try it against a structural plascrete wall. Well, not unless you have a very tricked out rifle and a large dice pool to back it up.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #21 on: <02-23-12/1809:05> »
Sure, it'll go through. The question is whether it will still have lethal force after penetrating. This depends a good deal on the type of round used. APDS would be best for this. ExEx, SnS, capsule rounds, and other such things would be useless, since they would discharge their effect on the wall. After APDS, regular ammo is probably the best choice for this kind of thing.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <02-23-12/1832:46> »
Indirect Fire rules from Arsenal help here.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Translucent

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <02-23-12/1833:34> »
Excellent answer(s).  One of the things my group keeps trying to do is have a flyspy drone locate a target and fly behind it (relative to the sniper).  The provide the sniper with gps coords of the drone.  The sniper shoots and the target is standing directly between the sniper and drone so they in fact are the barrier.  This sounds reasonable though a custom app on the snipers comlink may be required to do the math.  I'm gonna have to do more research into what are the most common wall construction materials used and how hard they are to shoot through.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <02-23-12/1916:14> »
Mirikon is it really that hard to shoot through a wall? Snipers doing 7-9 damage with a -2 to -4 Armor right? and with ADPS it' could be up to -8 (sorry if this is incorrect i've never played a sniper character yet). So shooting through the barrier is going to be pretty easy i'd imagine. Something like 15 dice will give you average of what 5 hits? that's 12-15 damage.... o.O' if you do manage to know where the person is i guess a called shot wouldn't hurt either.

I know you have to exceed the barrier rating to go through, other than that what else is stopping a sniper from piercing a building. It's not like it's the military bunker.... if you want to breach that use a gauss rifle. XD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Register