NEWS

SR6 FAQ

• 22 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-05-20/1645:10> »
The pool is assembled by A+B+C+D+E.  A is your raw attribute.  B is your bonuses to A, and has a cap of +4. C is your raw skill.  D is your expertise/specialization, if you have it.  E is everything else, and (under this interpretation/clarification) is capped at +4.

It doesn't seem sloppy to me... it seems the opposite really.  Simple and streamlined.

I suspect we just won't agree here, so I won't try to convince you. Just to clarify my point of what I meant by sloppy though, I meant the fact that one of the primary selling points on the new edge system was to eradicate shifting modifiers math. Yet we still have quite a few of them, and this rule interpretation (which I overall support) just further plays into what the edge system was meant to do away with, or make easier.
Reduction is not eradication.

and putting an arbitrary cap on how big the modifications can get is also going in line with minimizing (but as MC said, not eradicating) the impact of dice modifications. 

Well.. positive dice pool modifications anyway.  again we don't know if BGCs are coming back and if so in what form... but I would bet (not that I KNOW) that it'll be similar to 5e because the Matrix Noise mechanic is still -dice.

Lormyr you're right in that there's some inherent schizophrenia in the system with regards to dice pool mods vs edge mods... but that's not something SRM or even errata can address.
« Last Edit: <08-05-20/1646:45> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #16 on: <08-06-20/1308:36> »
I just noticed (well, someone just pointed out to me) that there's no guidance for GMs on what rolls Analytical Mind can be applied to. That surprises me.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-06-20/1412:17> »
I just noticed (well, someone just pointed out to me) that there's no guidance for GMs on what rolls Analytical Mind can be applied to. That surprises me.

Any that use Logic

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #18 on: <08-06-20/1737:06> »
and putting an arbitrary cap on how big the modifications can get is also going in line with minimizing (but as MC said, not eradicating) the impact of dice modifications. 

Well.. positive dice pool modifications anyway.  again we don't know if BGCs are coming back and if so in what form... but I would bet (not that I KNOW) that it'll be similar to 5e because the Matrix Noise mechanic is still -dice.

I suspect that BGC will also still inflict dice penalties, but I also can't be sure since they are going to have to change how they otherwise worked, for example lowering the force of spells, which no longer exists.

Lormyr you're right in that there's some inherent schizophrenia in the system with regards to dice pool mods vs edge mods... but that's not something SRM or even errata can address.

I'd just like to see superior consistency and balance man. Some of the new supplements have helped, but the core system is still too disjointed for my liking or to respect. I wish you guys that worked on the FAQ had a more direct hand on the actual rules, because even if I disagreed with your specific design goals, your work demonstrates they would at least be consistent and clearly written.

Setting aside my nitpick about training options being a bit too premium, dislike for making used cultured bioware completely unavailable, and opinion that the chosen interpretation for Anticipation is just flat incorrect compared to what is written (but fuck that edge action, it would ludicrous to begin with), the FAQ is overall good, you guys did a good job.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #19 on: <08-07-20/1449:21> »

That's because Analytical Mind is an Errata issue and the FAQ is not meant to cover errata ... only Missions campaign clarifications
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #20 on: <08-07-20/1527:24> »

That's because Analytical Mind is an Errata issue and the FAQ is not meant to cover errata ... only Missions campaign clarifications
Was it covered off in errata? I might have missed it.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-07-20/1547:18> »

Errata has left Analytical Mind unchanged.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #22 on: <08-07-20/1910:54> »

Errata has left Analytical Mind unchanged.

So far ..  i still hold out hope
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team