• Omae
« on: <09-01-19/2341:19> »
How can a Phys Adept have 6 power points out of chargen without foci

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-01-19/2346:52> »
It depends on if you follow the chargen restriction or go 'yeah no that would permanently cripple them, PP equal Magic is how we do it'.

As alternative you could let them grow into it with awaking 1 PP each month.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-01-19/2350:09> »

The way the rule is now, they can't.  Even though they gain free power point with an increase of Magic (pg 156) per pg 66 that rule is specifically trumped during character creation.

The Adept pregen on pg 81 was possibly created before the rule on pg 66 was added.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-02-19/0155:22> »
Depending on your unadjusted magic rating from Magic or Resonance priority you can, during chargen, get between 1 (priority E) and 4 (priority A) Power Points.

During chargen this is the only source of Power Points.

During chargen you can use customize karma on four different things (binding qi focus for Power Points is not one of them)
  • Attribute advancement
  • Skill advancement
  • Resources
  • Qualities

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <09-02-19/0206:46> »
Of course the RAW there sucks big time, because it permanently punishes any Adepts that uses SAPs on Magic in chargen. So I have Opinions on that part of the rules. But I don't know if it will get some errata or not. I gave my brother some temporary ones for his campaign.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-02-19/0445:55> »
It‘s such a weird thing. I mean, if that‘s really supposed to bei RAI and not just RAW, wouldn‘t it be better to prevent Adepts from raising Magic with SAP/Karma during chargen all together? Or at least add a kind of warning, like „Yo, it‘s really not a good idea to do this, because you will basically lose P.P.?“

Maybe have a look at the sample Characters... Oh. Right...

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-02-19/0954:30> »
It‘s such a weird thing. I mean, if that‘s really supposed to bei RAI and not just RAW, wouldn‘t it be better to prevent Adepts from raising Magic with SAP/Karma during chargen all together? Or at least add a kind of warning, like „Yo, it‘s really not a good idea to do this, because you will basically lose P.P.?“

Yeah...I am home ruling out the limit...this fundamentally looks like someone took a bit too much bliss when they wrote the rule.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-02-19/1510:57> »
Dunno how it would interact with cyberware.
Say you chose magic 2 from priority, and boosted that with 2 more points from your adjustment points. You now have magic 4, but only 2 PP.
But then you gain 2 points of cyberware, would that leave you at magic and PP 2, magic 2 and PP 0, or magic 4 and 2PP?

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-02-19/1559:53> »
By RAW right now, you don't lose power points when you lose magic... so your guess is as good as mine
Quote from: p156
The key measurements of power in adepts are their power points. These points are used by adept characters to buy the powers that will enhance their abilities. Whenever adept characters gain a point of Magic, they also gain a power point. This means that an adept character who starts with a Magic rating of 4 also starts with 4 power points. Power points do not need to be spent when they are obtained; characters can hold on to them and use them when ready.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #9 on: <09-02-19/1801:11> »

Yeah...I am home ruling out the limit...this fundamentally looks like someone took a bit too much bliss when they wrote the rule.

Screwing players is largely what 6e does best. So I applaud your house rule. But it is sad that it needs to be done.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-03-19/1110:02> »
The amount of free PP (and free spell or rituals) you get during chargen is based on your unadjusted magic rating from your Magic or Resonance priority.

The amount of free PP (and free spells or rituals) does not change if you adjust the magic rating up with adjustment points or karma nor if you adjust the magic rating down by getting augmentations that cause essence loss.

Screwing players is largely what ...
This is the Rules section of the forum. People come here to ask legit rules related questions and they expect to get accurate answers.

I know you are pretty salty about the new edition (you made that perfectly clear in many of your recent posts), but if you still feel an urge to express that (once again) maybe I can suggest that you do that in the General section of the forum rather than the Rules section of the forum.

Thank you for your understanding.
« Last Edit: <09-03-19/1123:42> by Xenon »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <09-03-19/1119:18> »
Mind you, that's under current RAW. We don't know yet what errata will be.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-03-19/1634:26> »

Just remember that because you gain ALOT of adjustment points compared to magic points, 95% of all physical adept builds would be best suited with magic D, and then supplemented by adjustment points to reach 6ish. Magic, if you rule that you gain PP by adjustment points.

In 5th edition you had adept skill points as a special feature in the magic column. So in 5th you had to make  a choice between extra skill points or edge.

Personally I think 6th ed priority table is a bit off. And I foresee either an errata, or several houserules.

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <09-03-19/1648:27> »
As the table stands any build is best suited by magic D and using adjustment points to raise magic.
The karma value of 6 spells (the difference in spells from pri A to pri D) is way less than the value of the extra attribute points you get (freeing an A slot for attributes or skills is +8 points for either and each of those points is worth a lot more than 5 karma). I would make that trade anytime even if I can't buy extra spells at character creation.

Adepts are the only magic archetype that gets actively harmed by spending adjustment point in magic.

Basically the priority table doesn't make you pay for access to magic. It just makes you pay through the nose for spells / power points which you can get in game for much less karma (kind of the same way you are not made to pay for all those qualities you get as a troll/ork/dwarf/elf, just pay over going rate for extra attribute points)

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #14 on: <09-05-19/0514:29> »
The amount of free PP (and free spell or rituals) you get during chargen is based on your unadjusted magic rating from your Magic or Resonance priority.

The amount of free PP (and free spells or rituals) does not change if you adjust the magic rating up with adjustment points or karma nor if you adjust the magic rating down by getting augmentations that cause essence loss.

Screwing players is largely what ...
This is the Rules section of the forum. People come here to ask legit rules related questions and they expect to get accurate answers.

I know you are pretty salty about the new edition (you made that perfectly clear in many of your recent posts), but if you still feel an urge to express that (once again) maybe I can suggest that you do that in the General section of the forum rather than the Rules section of the forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Xenon, I saw your post on unarmed damage on Reddit, and you're lecturing me on accurate answers? To be clear my answer is accurate, honest and rules related, further I'm 100% happy to give examples if you wish for a supporting argument.

By all means Xenon Support 6e if that's what your heart tells you, but for the record my concern has nothing to do with "salt", and everything to do with how bad the 6e rules are. 10 pages of "hot fix" errata didn't even scratch the surface of the mess that are the 6e Rules. DTRPG is issuing refunds, I've never even heard of that for a product like SR.  I hope the errata team is allowed to make the changes needed just to make the rules functional. I also hope the errata team is compensated for their time and effort in doing so.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking