NEWS

6WE Strength useless for melee users?

• 168 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #165 on: (13:46:27/09-21-19) »

As they have always just been glorified brass knucks thatís the damage they should be doing. Back to 2e they have been doing sword
Level damage and that never made sense. And devalued many other attack ware like spurs or razors.

Actually, in 3E they went from (Str+2)M to (Str+4)M Stun in the CRB, but if you chose to do physical damage the power of the attack was halved.  Kinda sounds like bringing that part back would bring it more in line with other damage values in SR6.

On edit: Shadowtech (looks like 1E) also has them listed as doing half Power when they're used for physical damage.

So much for my memory. At least this lapse I wonít blame on age. Itís just been a while since I played 3e so I forgot that twist.

Shinobi Killfist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #166 on: (13:52:13/09-21-19) »
Most urban/indoor operations aren't going beyond 50m or so, let a lone 250m, so things like heavy pistols and SMGs have more value as standard kit (the Praetor is my go-to in 6th). Having bone lacing (even without the STR buff) in those situations give you options when someone gets up close, so you could try to shoot at reduced AR or just punch/kick them for reduced damage.
Same feelings. When I first saw the definitions of the ranges for the table, I was quite surprised. They seem unrealistic for many of the weapons, and also seem very concerned with a lot of long ranges that never get used at my table. Almost all our stuff happens at a range of no more than tens of metres. Other than that they seem fine, mechanically; theyíre just... very leggy.

Itís whats lost for ease I guess. Heck a pistols short range going out to 50 meters is pretty insane in itself itís effective range at 250 meters is crazy as well. Hitting a non moving target at 50 meters with a pistol in non combat situations requires a decent amount of practice. Most people I see at the range shoot at the 5-20 meter range with their pistols. 50 meters is like the end of many pistol ranges, itís a brick wall past 50.

So while I get the idea of unifying distances for ease the ranges are off for imo the most common weapons used by shadowrunners. (Pistols)

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #167 on: (15:06:42/09-22-19) »
So while I get the idea of unifying distances for ease the ranges are off for imo the most common weapons used by shadowrunners. (Pistols)
Seems to me like the devs looked at a particular source of info on most commonly used firearms and saw a lot of assault rifles and shotguns as primary weapons so they set the ranges to fit those best and "squished" or "stretched" everything else to match that scale.

If I were the one making the choice on range scaling, I'd have basically set the scale to heavy pistol ranges - not because those get used most often in my experience, but because those ranges (or shorter ranges) are the ones most often coming up in runs (both of my own devising and published).

I can't say which weapons actually show up more frequently than others because, while I presume organized play has similar traits to organized play leagues for other games which I have experience where-in the characters are usually built with a concern of having the 'strongest' build for character type, I haven't actually played any organized shadowrun, and my personal groups of shadowrun players always manage to be players that want to use different types of weapons from each other (i.e. if someone has an assault rifle for their character, no one else will use an assault rifle even if they were also wanting to use automatics - they'd grab an SMG) so there's only one of each per game.

Shinobi Killfist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #168 on: (18:04:15/09-22-19) »
Yeah I suspect our games a similar then. No idea what organized play looks like but in ours itís all about weapons you can conceal. People may own a assault rifle. I think our street sam finally bought one 2 runs back. But itís only pulled out for raids which are rare for us.

I think the issue is if you modeled the ranges after pistols ranges youíd need like 20 range categories to cover a rifle or the jump from pistol end range to rifle next range would be huge.