NEWS

Feedback for an idea?

• 4 Replies

Vystek

• Newb
« on: <02-17-11/2003:43> »
I'm working on a basic outline for the adventure for my very second session of shadowrun that I've ever GMed (and the first was only Food Fight :P) and I was hoping that perhaps someone around here could tell me if I've got the general idea. If group composition is important, we'll have an adept who specializes in bows (pretty much our main muscle), a black ops sort of fellow, a technomancer, and another adept, this one a face.

In essence, my players will be contacted by our face's fixer with a job from a Mr. Johnson from an unspecified corp. In the meeting, he'll explain that his corporation is competing with another (honestly, don't know which yet) for a deal with a third party. Presumably they're both working on prototypes for some useful technology...perhaps something industrial, like an improved focus lense for a heavy-duty cutting laser? In any case, that's irrelevant, because Mr. Johnson fears that direct sabotage to the project would lead their buyer to suspect foul play from his corp. Instead, he wants the players to break into the research lab the night before the buyers are scheduled to come in and check up on progress with the rival corp. He's hiring the runners to get past security and trash the place, making it look fairly sloppy--if it appears as if amateurs, mere street scum, got into the lab, wrecked it, and stole some stuff, the buyer's confidence in corporation B will be severly undermined, helping Johnson's corp's chances.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-17-11/2123:34> »
If any of them have gang contacts, or neo-anarchists this could easily thruthfully be done by "mere street scum"

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-17-11/2144:26> »
Sounds like a neat adventure seed. In terms of NPC and player motivation, you have your bases covered.
Now onto some intermediate GMing.
What information are you going to convey to your players and how are you going to convey it? It's good to know the stuff about cutting lasers and industrial espionage, but if it isn't necessary to their mission(sneak in at night and wreck up the place) then there may be no motivation for the Johnson to tell them. In fact, there may be no motivation for them to know at all. If the mission is to be successfully completed, what do the players benefit from knowing who is robbing who? What do they lose by knowing who is robbing who?
If you are intent on letting your players know this, try and find a way to deliver this info other than exposition. Don't just have the Johnson tell them(that's when players tend to start messing with their phones), but have learning about the site be a prerequisite to breaking in, and while they are doing the legwork, reveal a little of the plot at a time. Maybe if they can piece it together, they can ask Johnson for more money. Or you give them more karma. A nice little treat for role playing within the context of the adventure. Plus, it will give your face something to do that only she can do that she will feel proud of. Speaking of which...
You'll need to find something for everyone to do. This can be harder than it sounds. Your adepts are going to want to shoot/stab things. This is easy. Everyone likes a little combat. Breaks up the monotony of storytelling, instant conflict, everyone has something to do, etc. It's the reason Shakespeare put a sword fight into most of his plays. Even Twelfth Night.
Your technomancer is going to want to hack things. Also easy. Make sure that when she does, it's on the same time frame as another series of actions that require Initiative Passes, that way you aren't running a hacking job while the rest of the party checks their e-mail. I like to have combat emerge about the same time the hacker breaks into the secure system, or make sure my NPCs have plenty of stuff to hack(AR glasses, cyberarms, tac-nets).
The face I've sort of covered, but a face can seem dispensable to the crew once the heavy handed criminal stuff gets started, especially if your players would rather do Matrix searches than hit the streets. Make sure there are plenty of people for the face to seduce and con to get information and to leave gaps in security. Make sure she knows these options, too. It's easy to look at a bank vault and think about blowing it up; to con your way in can be done, but it's less obvious. Some players may need a bit of coaxing. Also, have the face integral for ensuring the party is well paid. Know how many dice your face rolls and plan accordingly. If you only want to pay your runners 2k a piece for a run, have your Johnson offer 1k and tell them they'll get another 200 per net hit on a Negotiation test. If you know your face gets 5 average nets hits, your payout will be around the same and the rest of the group will think the face invaluable.
The black-ops guy is hard. Sneaking in the shadows is a hard sell to people who just want to shoot things and think all security is electronic, so the TM can just take care of it. Make sure there are parts of this infiltration job that only someone with good infiltration can handle. Blind spots on cameras only he is skilled enough to use, laser trip wires, that sort of thing. If you let your group disable all security via the Matrix or shoot their way in, this guy will feel like he has wasted his build points and will only use his nuyen and karma to turn him into a street sammy, or just kill him off.

That may be a bit more than you asked for, but I just thought I'd throw that in there because it seems like you have a good understanding of the setting and the system. Sounds like a really fun game!
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

Vystek

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-17-11/2223:16> »
That may be a bit more than you asked for, but I just thought I'd throw that in there because it seems like you have a good understanding of the setting and the system. Sounds like a really fun game!

Bit more than I needed? Hardly! I really appreciate the help, man. Both adepts have gang contacts, and I plan on Mr. Johnson knowing very little useful info about the place--I reeeaaally want the face to have stuff to do, so he learns to enjoy a non-hack-'n-slash character (a departure from his experiences in past games). I plan to ensure that the internal security is both electronic, to sate the TM's appetite for hacking, and, ah, fleshy, so Mr. Black Ops has some people to avoid and/or silently punch numerous holes in. Honestly, the muscle seems like the main problem to me; maybe they have to rough up quite a few folks to get the information they need? Or maybe to make the infiltration possible, the adept needs to, ahem distract some security forces with some sort of decoy hit elsewhere?

By the way, thanks for the advice on what info the players should get. It's important to distinguish between what I know, what Mr. Johnson knows, what NPCs elsewhere know, and what the players get to find out. These guys' typical approach in previous games like D&D, etc., has been somewhat less than subtle, but I have high hopes for convincing them to do a little bit more investigating--perhaps with the implied treat of greater karma if they find all the little chunks of story.

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-18-11/1443:21> »
Or maybe to make the infiltration possible, the adept needs to, ahem distract some security forces with some sort of decoy hit elsewhere?
Small facilities tend to have minimal security and then share a pool of 'back up.'   If the group finds out what other facilities the supervisors/back up teams cover, creating a distraction could significantly reduce the number of meat bodies to cut through.  The Other hand is, when one facility goes on alert they both/all might. 

Damnyankee

Register