NEWS

Fave Heavy Weapon?

• 41 Replies

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #15 on: <03-14-19/0022:54> »
Semi automatic grenade launcher.
Nothing says "frag you" like a three round burst of HE grenades for a combined AOE damage of 32 AP -4
I think that is my line.
No, literally, I think someone has me saying that as their sig line from a couple years ago.

What you meant to say is full auto grenade launcher. Because nothing says "frag you" like a ten round burst with HE grenades. Into an enclosed space.
Do we have a FA GL in 5E?

I recall 4E had a BF GL, but I've never seen a FA one yet.

BF gets you a long burst of 6 grenades which is basically a small tac nuke going off.

Something like 56DV & -7 AP ?     Yeah, I'm not sure what survives that.   

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <03-14-19/0124:48> »
So, the 'run has gone to drek, or the ork merc has gotten bored and decided to make the 'run more fun, and the big guns come out.

What is your favorite heavy weapon to pull out and make some noise?

Note:  Troll fists and Trollbows don't count, as those are unarmed and archery, not heavy weapons.  Even if they do enough damage to count as a heavy weapon.
My favourite 'heavy' weapon is a Barrett. =P But real heavy weapon I am going to side with kyoto kid. That buys you 5 IPs of Suppressive Fire at a damage level that hurts like hell, or one completely-vaporised target.

Of course the best heavy weapon is a bag with 10 HE grenades inside, preferably made invisible or in a Ruthenium Coating bag. Explode simultanously and vaporise even an Insect Dragon.
...a 208 L FAE does a nice job on a bug dragon as well. Just make sure all your chummers and other allies are at least 215 meters from ground zero and definitely not within the 146 metre central blast zone where the damage is a constant 78 DV throughout.
Now I want to know where the stats are for that. O_O

My absolute favourite heavy weapon would be from SR4, by the way: The Freya Missile. Boosted to SR5 stats it'd be what, 40P, -7/10m? And anything within 20m dies.
« Last Edit: <03-14-19/0130:44> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #17 on: <03-14-19/0233:57> »
...extrapolated the damage value from both Shadowrun Denver and RL formulae.

In 3e, the version of Leela I was playing then made one that took out our junkyard hideout and roughly a 12 square block area of the barrens area surrounding it vaporising the Yakuza hit squad that was sent after us.  Made the UCAS National news.
« Last Edit: <03-14-19/0240:47> by kyoto kid »
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <03-14-19/0236:20> »
Thor Shot™️.

When you absolutely, positively want to kill every mother-lover in the post code. Accept no substitutes.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #19 on: <03-14-19/0315:33> »
...yeah but you need a contact with top government and/or corporate clearance for access, and better be ready to offer him or her very a huge favour.
« Last Edit: <03-14-19/0317:34> by kyoto kid »

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <03-14-19/0319:59> »
Hey, the subject line said “favorite” not “practical”! And the Rods from God is my favorite.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #21 on: <03-14-19/0323:12> »
Thor Shot™️.

When you absolutely, positively want to kill every mother-lover in the post code. Accept no substitutes.
A Freya Missile is cheaper and a tad more precise. =P When you want to just demolish the city block.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <03-14-19/0349:00> »
The only expensive part of the Thor Shot is getting the platform(s) into orbit in the first place... after that’s overcome, they’re pretty inexpensive. Plus, once the platform(s) are in place, you can easily supplement the “tungsten telephone poles” with a few score “tungsten crowbars.”

An object impacting at 7 km/sec delivers kinetic energy equal to its approximately half its mass in TNT; So a cubic meter of “tungsten crowbar” would be (doing some rough “back of a napkin” math) roughly equivalent to ten-ish tons of TNT.

It’s possible to do the orbital mathematics, using no tools more advanced than a slide rule and a chalk board, to plot an targeting solution for these rods from god that is accurate to within a few meters. With the processing power available to Sixth World computers, you could probably get it down to sub MOA accuracy.

They do have troubles with moving targets if you cannot predict accurately where the target will be in ten-twelve minutes after you “pull the trigger,” you’re going to have problems. But, if you know where the target will be or you send more than one, this becomes less of a problem.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #23 on: <03-14-19/0443:52> »
They're 'only' 1.2m nuyen per shot. =) Or 150k for a Freya. Only the 1.2b satellite pricetag is a nuisance. You can also use a Loki, which automatically hits larger targets in its area while people can dodge. 30P/-20 in SR4 so 40P~45P/-20 in SR5 for a mere 20k.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #24 on: <03-14-19/1519:48> »
The only expensive part of the Thor Shot is getting the platform(s) into orbit in the first place... after that’s overcome, they’re pretty inexpensive. Plus, once the platform(s) are in place, you can easily supplement the “tungsten telephone poles” with a few score “tungsten crowbars.”

An object impacting at 7 km/sec delivers kinetic energy equal to its approximately half its mass in TNT; So a cubic meter of “tungsten crowbar” would be (doing some rough “back of a napkin” math) roughly equivalent to ten-ish tons of TNT.

It’s possible to do the orbital mathematics, using no tools more advanced than a slide rule and a chalk board, to plot an targeting solution for these rods from god that is accurate to within a few meters. With the processing power available to Sixth World computers, you could probably get it down to sub MOA accuracy.

They do have troubles with moving targets if you cannot predict accurately where the target will be in ten-twelve minutes after you “pull the trigger,” you’re going to have problems. But, if you know where the target will be or you send more than one, this becomes less of a problem.

Why bother trying to get one of these, when your decker/techno can simply hack a nearby satellite and degrade it's orbit? Works just as well, and no favors due afterwards....
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #25 on: <03-14-19/1547:57> »

Why bother trying to get one of these, when your decker/techno can simply hack a nearby satellite and degrade it's orbit? Works just as well, and no favors due afterwards....
...the only issue with this is someone (usually the company/corp that owns the satellite as well as any government space agency) is bound to notice the anomaly and will likely issue an alert or even possibly intervene to destroy it before it becomes a threat tp anyone on the ground. We already have the ability to track all the satellites and even space junk that is in orbit today.  Now add another 50 years of technical development.

BTW I had a covert ops character who was a "fallen angel" back in 3e.  She had the Friends in High places edge one of whom was a high ranking CIA official who was able to get her access to spy sats.  However even that usually came at the cost like a hefty "anonymous donation" to some dark money PAC or a favour (usually a job where "deniable assets" were important).

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <03-14-19/1555:53> »
It’s also a war crime and/or terrorist act to use a weapon of mass destruction, which a satellite drop most certainly would be considering they don’t have nearly the precision of a Thor Shot... A satellite drop is also going to be radioactively “dirty,” compared to a nice “clean” god rod.

You’ll also have GOD coming after you, hard, since the ability to hack on that scale means you might also be a threat to Zurich-Orbital.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #27 on: <03-15-19/1156:19> »
Semi automatic grenade launcher.
Nothing says "frag you" like a three round burst of HE grenades for a combined AOE damage of 32 AP -4
I think that is my line.
No, literally, I think someone has me saying that as their sig line from a couple years ago.

What you meant to say is full auto grenade launcher. Because nothing says "frag you" like a ten round burst with HE grenades. Into an enclosed space.
Do we have a FA GL in 5E?

I recall 4E had a BF GL, but I've never seen a FA one yet.

BF gets you a long burst of 6 grenades which is basically a small tac nuke going off.

Something like 56DV & -7 AP ?     Yeah, I'm not sure what survives that.
I'll have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure there was a belt-fed grenade launcher in 4e, which you could mod to FA. Wouldn't be too hard to convert to 5E.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #28 on: <03-15-19/1854:14> »
How about the rail gun on the Stonewall MBT? If I cannot choose the vehicle itself, I just want to turret
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <03-16-19/0118:12> »
I'm pretty happy with a under barrel grenade launcher, it comes with a rifle of some kind as a bonus.  It's not SA or burst fire grenade launcher which from what I've read in this thread is just a broken rule.  But grenades are pretty boss on their own and hey, pew pew with your gun as well.