NEWS

The Found Arcana Chapter 2 - IC

  • 70 Replies
  • 895 Views

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3682
« Reply #30 on: (16:40:33/11-27-18) »
Mato shakes his head. "We're thinking about it the wrong way. We have to be strategical about it."

He kneels in the dust and scratches what looks like a kitchen funnel in the dirt. "We got to move prospective customers through the purchase funnel. First you got Awareness, like they heard of you. That's the big, wide top of the funnel. Then you need Engagement, like they're willing to take action to learn more, like our Matrix site or calling us up. Then there's Consideration, where we've made our pitch and are in the mix with all the other PIs out there. Then there's Conversion, when we get the job." He taps the small bottom of the funnel.

"It ain't all the same approach all the way through; there are distinct strategeries for moving users through the funnel, ne? What you do to build Awareness is not the same thing you do to move someone from Consideration to Conversion."

He looks around the group to ascertain whether the team is following along. It would be fair to wonder what the hell the Mato family talked about at the dinner table while he was growing up. Evidently marketing plans.

"But first we got to identify our target market. Our demagographics. Ain't no one around here can afford us. Well, the syndicates, maybe. No, who we're after is the fatties across the border in Bellevue. We want their corporate accounts. They want us because we're hard men" - glancing to AM - "...and woman, living in Redmond. Redmond says we ain't cushy corpers. Redmond says we get our hands dirty. Redmond says we're a good value."

He stands and twists his finger in a circle to indicate the street urchins. "So we want the locals to know we're legit, so if anyone sounds them out they can say that we don't rattle, that we're watertight. That comes with time, but maybe we have to do some pro-boner work to keep busy until then." He looks to AM to confirm that he used the expression correctly. "But when it comes to paying customers we're looking southwest."

gilga

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5449
« Reply #31 on: (02:08:39/11-28-18) »
She smirks as her inclusion, AM is anything but tough, fragile yes, delicate perhaps but she is perhaps the least physically imposing figure in any room that include people above twelve (and in some rooms that don't). She chips in"I'd expect Redmond to say that we are too poor, illegal and desperate to live anywhere else. Perhaps it is some of our charms as it is another way to say that we get our hands dirty, I get your point. So what would you do about the kids? Just ignore them?
« Last Edit: (02:15:31/11-28-18) by gilga »

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3682
« Reply #32 on: (12:27:19/11-28-18) »
"The kids are our street cred. They're the ones that will tell stories about us. I would say be distant and mysterious, like runners they see on the trids - presuming they have trids - but an argument could be made for social outreach. AM could cultivate a network of spies and informants. Watching out for us gets them a bowl of noodles. A useful tip scores them grub from the Shack. That kind of thing."

Mato stands and looks around, eyeballing the local Touristville businesses.

"The tourists are another opportunity. The rich folks coming up here to slum it, that's potential exposure. It's not your C-suite execs, sure, but never underestimate how much power even a middle manager has. They're climbing the ladder at work, they're stressed, they come here to blow off steam. Maybe then we hit them with some ideas for alternative solutions. Some of them will resent us as lawbreakers who don't fit their ideas for social norms, but those aren't the ones coming to Touristville. The ones coming up here are comfortable with the wild side, the ones who will think it's glamorous to hire PIs or runners.

"So, yeah, let's target the tourists. Maybe play guardian angel for one or two that find themselves in compromising situations. Sometimes a gang will get a rich-looking tourist liquored up, maybe paired with a couple escorts. Then they slap them with a gigantic bill for the evening because there ain't enough law up here to intervene on the tourist's behalf. The tourist will pay it, because they're so smashed they don't know better, or because there are a couple knuckle-breakers ready to perform small joint manipulation if they don't.

"That might be a good way to drum up some work, or at least get the word out that we're here to do business. And if we piss off some two-nuyen gangers in the process?"
He shrugs, then juts his chin at the urchins. "Well that's just street cred in the making. Can't make an omelette without breaking some chorizo."
« Last Edit: (16:40:28/11-28-18) by Tecumseh »

Jack_Spade

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 6423
« Reply #33 on: (16:11:45/11-28-18) »
Bobby managed to look skeptical in his bear form but nodded at Mato's last sentence. With clumsy paws, he scribbled in the sand: "Beat up Criminals, get paid twice."
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Beta

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1442
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #34 on: (16:52:37/11-28-18) »
Jawsey used his link to order several cheap pizzas, a case of bottles of water, and a case of bottles of the enriched simulated orange juice that he'd grown up on.  He set the delivery to their house, since a back alley in Redmond was too sketchy even for a delivery drone. 

A few minutes after that he wandered towards where the street kids were lurking and called out “Hey, I need some help carrying food back here.  I need a couple of you who are strong, and a couple who are fast – the fast ones just follow behind and make sure I’m not doing anything to the others.”  He chuckled to show that he didn’t think he was much danger, leaning on his sword cane to make the point.  “Payment for this is just pizza and something to drink, but maybe there will be more in the future.”

After a couple of minutes he’d arranged who was coming with him, and he headed back towards the house, trailed at a distance by a number of the kids.  He got there just before the drone, and used that time to summon up a small spirit of man, appearing somewhat like a pre-contact native woman, but with a raven’s head.  Jawsey had her stay in the astral for the moment, and shortly the drone showed up.  He quickly confirmed his ID and his account, and extracted the food and drink. 

He gestured to the flats of drink bottles and called to his two helpers, both young orcs, “One box each.  You actually get them where we are going without running off with them, then you get food, and maybe more jobs later.”  Once they’d grabbed the drinks and edged away from him a bit, he had his spirit materialize, pick up the pizzas, and then float a meter in the air.  Jawsey grinned widely and observed “Of course, I wouldn’t suggest running off with the drinks.”  With that he headed back to the filming area, followed by the spirit.  Quick glances suggested that the orcs with the drinks were following, albeit at a fair distance, while some of the other street kids had disappeared. 

Back at the filming area he extracted one pizza for Bobby, one for the rest of them, and half the water and a few orange drinks.  Then he told the remaining kids “We are a group of private detectives.  People pay us to find things, people, information.  We’re tough, but we also notice things.  The rest of the food and drink is for you all to split up, but be sure we’ll notice who brawls, who hogs an unfair share.  Basically we’ll notice who we can trust when we need to hire someone for something in the future.  Feel free to tell people about us – the more business that comes our way, the more work we may have for you.”
Jawsey  --
speechthought

Jack_Spade

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 6423
« Reply #35 on: (17:26:26/11-28-18) »
Bobby scarfed down the offered pizza and guzzled one of the water bottles within a few seconds, then took a break by curling up in the sun. Of course he couldn't go to sleep without losing control of the spell, so he instead rested, trying to cool down a bit.
So he listened intently how Jawsey tried to convert the kids into his personal Bakerstreet Irregulars. He didn't expect this to work out too well. But it sure would be funny to watch...
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

gilga

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5449
« Reply #36 on: (02:27:18/11-29-18) »
Normally, street waifs would know better than to intervene with adults, but perhaps it is the Pizza or Jawsi's natural charm two are brave enough to approach for the drinks. One of them, a young or perhaps no more than twelve stands up straight and salutes. Despite his young age, he is a head taller from his human partner.

"The Pistons are at your service sir, happy to eat your Pizza. You are technically on our turf so..."

the other kid, shorter and less bulky - a human with dirty clothes and a pistol - an old one but an actual firearm. shush him whispering in Orz'et "Don't piss them off", he tries to correct it "What my second meant to say is thank you for the food and drinks.  My name is Boom, and my partner is named Trash. Thank you for the food, we will work for you if you bring more" The orc picks up what was left of the Pizza, and his friend picks up some drinks and the two carefully return within the safety of their little crowd.

Quickly but very quietly they retreat between the garbage heaps and ally's before someone takes their prized meal from them. 

The rest of the filming is unmolested, and AM even hacks a security camera to film the giant bear scares off a bunch of bums that sat by the pawn shop. All in all, you can summarize it as a good experience. Whether it brings work or not, remains to be seen.





« Last Edit: (02:44:38/11-29-18) by gilga »

gilga

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5449
« Reply #37 on: (07:11:31/11-29-18) »
@Ginsburg You have been laying low for over a week, with no particular interest from anyone really. Gradually you become more comfortable in your place until one day you receive a message.  It is Mr. Gau the talismonger you frequent from time to time for reagents and foci. His text is a bit strange:

>> Ginsburg Hi, I am in a bind, I was tracking an artifact for a customer. Located the artifact and secured a transaction. Money for the artifact. Then some undesirables came by my shop and politely hinted that this deal is too hot for me and I should drop it.

I consulted with a friend of a friend, I definitely cannot afford to go ahead, but I cannot honorably back down and disappoint this particular customer. My point is, you were recommended by a friend that is experienced with this particular kind of problems.  I am willing to transfer some of my commission to you if you replace me in this transaction. If you are interested swing by my shop at your earliest convenience.

Lorebane24

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 460
« Reply #38 on: (16:05:48/11-29-18) »
It's shortly past noon when Ginsburg rolls out of his bed and folds it back into the wall.  His commlink is blinking, and for a moment he reaches to check it before remembering that everything works through AR now.  He slips on the pair of horribly, wonderfully retro aviators he picked up the other day, pops in his earbuds, and slips on the gloves he needs to operate this tech.  He reviews the message from Gao and a smile cracks on his face.  A gig at last.  It's been too long by a decade.

He steps into the bathroom and regards himself in the mirror.  You look tired, he thinks to himself as he looks over his slightly sunken eye sockets and cheeks that are beginning to sag.  He rubs the salt-and-pepper stubble covering his jaw, wishing he could grow it further, and runs a brush through his hair, wincing as he tugs out the tangles.  Satisfied that he looks sufficiently scruffy, but not too scruffy, he slips into a worn lined duster, the weight of the armored plates in the lining embracing him like a long-lost lover, and slides his roomsweeper into its holster.  He puts on an old Cubs hat, two crow feather sticking out from one side, and pulls it down tight over his forhead before heading to the metro to catch a train to Auburn.  He brings up a window and shoots a message back at Gao.  "On my way now."
The power of the Tri-Horse!

gilga

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5449
« Reply #39 on: (09:35:23/11-30-18) »
@Ginsburg Mr. Gau acknowledges texting >> Great will see you there.

gilga

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5449
« Reply #40 on: (15:21:00/12-02-18) »
The video comes out quite good, as well as the website and the business card that Mato has paid for them to have. Jawsi has been spreading these with his contacts. Still nothing happens for about a week, but then unexpectedly one of Jawsi's contacts, Five Fingers Gao - calls with a job offer.

>>Jawsi Hi, I've seen that racist trog versus bears video, quite impressive - but honestly, I was rooting for the bear. What I am trying to say is that I have a job for both the troll and the bear.  I need muscles, Are you free tomorrow?
« Last Edit: (15:26:19/12-02-18) by gilga »

Lorebane24

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 460
« Reply #41 on: (01:19:09/12-03-18) »
The following day (presuming Jawsy and team follows up)

Ginsburg stands on the corner across from the Double Lucky Curio Shop as he takes a long drag on his cigarette, savoring the flavor and grimacing as he notes he only has two left in the pack.  Real tobacco ain't cheap these days, and he's got expenses over his head.  He flicks the but before him and on his first step forward grinds it into the pavement and makes his way through the gaudy red doors of the establishment.  Jasmine incense hangs thick in the air and shrouds the entire shop in a curtain of thin smoke that crawls over the odds and ends displayed on rows of bamboo shelves.

"Gao."  He nods towards an old man with an impossibly wrinkled face, who is presently crumbling a dried scorpion into a small jar of liquid.  He looks up and furrows his brow.

"You know better than to interrupt me at work," he snaps with a voice like a bucket of rusty nails.  He gestures to the jar on the counter.  "This is delicate shit - this is science!  Not some trinket you'd slap together with buckskin and eagle feathers."  He snatches a T-250 shotgun from behind the counter and limps towards Ginsburg, using it as a crutch.  "Do you know what could happen if my measurements were off?"  He leans in, his face inches away from Ginsburg, and his arm jerks down.  The distinctive sound of a shotgun cocking practically echos through the shop.

The old man throws his head back and cackles, and Ginsburg looks away as the unmistakable stink of a century egg wafts from Gao's throat.  "Welcome, welcome!  Have a seat, you crazy ol' dandelion eater."  Ginsburg glances about, but no chairs are apparent.  Gao continues.  "I heard you were out.  Sloppy, getting yourself caught, but I guess you did well enough for me back when.  Hope you haven't missed a step, because I got a feeling about this job."

"Oh yeah?"  Ginsburg leans against the wall next to the door and tucks a thumb into his waistband.  "Guess that means it'll be interesting.  What are the details."

"Well, uh, I've purchased a little arcane curiosity.  Think it might have some serious qi packed in it.  Supposed to pick it up at an old Taco Temple, but there's been some chatter on the Matrix, and I'd rather send some muscle in my place."  He hobbles back to the counter and pops a lid on the jar, then starts browsing some old books.  "But the details can wait - I hit up another contact, one who hasn't spent the last decade behind bars, and they should be here soon."
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Beta

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1442
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #42 on: (17:22:45/12-03-18) »
Jawsey had replied
>> Tomorrow is very short notice.  For most people I would say 'no.'  But for you, I'll get the team there. 

After a moment of consideration, he followed up with:
>> As you always tell me 'quick costs.  You probably don't want an angry bear and angry orc in your shop, so don't insult us by expecting a rush job from an exceptional team for a bag of soy chips.

While that risked being seen as insulting, experience suggested that it might in fact be necessary.

Then he started letting the team know, hoping that he could find everyone and get them there the next day.  They all needed the money, but one thing he knew was that you couldn't always trust people to behave in their own best interests.
Jawsey  --
speechthought

Jack_Spade

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 6423
« Reply #43 on: (17:51:24/12-06-18) »
Bobby had assumed his human form again and was currently trying to get the weird magical makeover effects washed from his face. For now he looked like a stereotypical native on the war path.

Seeing the ARO notice for the new job, he stops his efforts and instead finishes dressing.
"Hey Jawsey, what's this new job about? Do you know the guy and does he have the cash?"
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Beta

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1442
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #44 on: (21:25:46/12-06-18) »
"Gao is nobody's idea of generous.  Or pleasant, for that matter.  But he's a good talismonger, and hopefully all that penny pinching means he has the money to pay us.  Him and his wife, actually.  I don't know much about the job, but he wanted 'the bear and the orc.'. Ah, i should mention to Mato that Gao is stupid-racist.  He's may need to have a good jold on his temper.[/color"
Jawsey  --
speechthought