NEWS

Question on what happened outside of north america in shadowrun

• 16 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« on: <02-03-11/1454:37> »
What did the progession in tech and magic and junk do to middle eastern countries and east europe? I cant find much on the forums and I don't have the source material soo. For instance, did everything economy-wise crumble? Did these countries progress with the world? Or did something else happen?
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <02-03-11/1501:24> »
Two things: Euro Wars and Desert Wars. There's been a lot of fighting in both regions, but there's also been improvements (mostly because the Corps want resources from the areas).

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-03-11/1506:35> »
How would a country like Moldava do? It is inbetween ukranine and Romania
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <02-03-11/1512:18> »
You'll want to check out Sixth World Almanac. It gives an idea of what the entire world is like, including a great timeline.

DriveThruRPG
BattleCorps.com

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-03-11/1516:36> »
Thanks! ;D
HACK THE PLANET

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-04-11/1130:16> »
Given that Shadows of Europe contains one or two paragraphs about Romania, and not much more about the Ukraine, I'd guess Moldova is either in comparable shape to one of those two (basically not that good) or has been absorbed.  It just may not have been able to independently survive post-Euro Wars I.

Just checked my SoE and on the map, there is a region called Ukrainian Protectorate.  It appears that Ukraine 'protectively' swallowed Moldova during the Euro Wars - precise date not given.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-04-11/1247:05> »
Thats where my newest character is from so that helped me a TON. What is SoE? I can't seem to remember what that means.
HACK THE PLANET

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <02-04-11/1259:56> »
Thats where my newest character is from so that helped me a TON. What is SoE? I can't seem to remember what that means.
Shadows of Europe.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-04-11/1303:37> »
Sorry if that sounded dumb
HACK THE PLANET

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-04-11/1315:13> »
According to Shadows of Europe, Maldova was invaded and annexed by the Ukraine during the Euro Wars.
However, on the World Map circa 2072, the area that is traditionally Maldova is split between the Ukranian Protectorate, Romania, the Brasov-Covasna Enclavce and an unnamed country bordering the Black Sea.
Though the last could simply be an error on the map.
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <02-04-11/1315:16> »
Sorry if that sounded dumb
Not at all. That's what we're here for. Remember, "There are no stupid questions, just dead runners who don't ask questions."

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <02-04-11/1325:59> »
According to Shadows of Europe, Maldova was invaded and annexed by the Ukraine during the Euro Wars.
However, on the World Map circa 2072, the area that is traditionally Maldova is split between the Ukranian Protectorate, Romania, the Brasov-Covasna Enclavce and an unnamed country bordering the Black Sea.
WOW this character is going to be all kinds of messed up! He was already going to have issues because of poverty and gangs and other craziyness that I don't need to get into on here. But now with all this political stuff the organization he works for that I made up has a totally explainable motivation and just wow...I'm GEEKING right now!
HACK THE PLANET

Slazarith

• Newb
  • Meh
« Reply #12 on: <02-05-11/1736:34> »
And I'm the GM who gets to have the Kernel's awesome character to rap..... err, challenge :P I'd also like to thanks the rest of you, the political motivation will add a new layer to the campaign as a whole :)

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-05-11/1759:01> »
...and an unnamed country bordering the Black Sea.

That's my interpretation...it just looks wrong on the SWA map and I'm planning on not including that odd border(s) in my Google Earth addon. It's the border line that is under the "uch" of the Bucharest label (cutting Romania off from the Black Sea) and the line that runs north from that previous border which splits the lower eastern Ukranian Protectorate into a separate small eastern country bordering the Black Sea.

A great resource is the CIA World Factbook https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ especially the "Transnational Issues" section which lists the darker information, such as for Moldova:

Moldova is a major source and, to a lesser extent, a transit country for women and girls trafficked for the purpose of commercial sexual exploitation; Moldovan women are trafficked to the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Western Europe; girls and young women are trafficked within the country from rural areas to Chisinau; children are also trafficked to neighboring countries for forced labor and begging; labor trafficking of men to work in the construction, agriculture, and service sectors of Russia is increasingly a problem; according to an ILO report, Moldova's national Bureau of Statistics estimated that there were likely over 25,000 Moldovan victims of trafficking for forced labor in 2008

and

limited cultivation of opium poppy and cannabis, mostly for CIS consumption; transshipment point for illicit drugs from Southwest Asia via Central Asia to Russia, Western Europe, and possibly the US; widespread crime and underground economic activity
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

zhivik

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <02-06-11/0415:23> »
Still, it would be nice to have some more info on the fate of the Balkans, or Southeast Europe in general. According to previous books, after the Jihad, the region was basically back to anarchy, with not so much of organised government outside larger metropolitan areas (except in Greece). The map in Shadows of Europe suggests that, with the dispute borders and all, but later the world map in Sixth World Almanac shows that things have stabilised at least in Romania and Bulgaria (apart from the territory loss of Romania, of course).

By the way, that unnamed country bordering the Black Sea is most likely a mistake. The additional border that goes from south to north is simply the flow of the Danube, which can be seen clearly in the Shadows of Europe map. Thus, you have only three entities there - Romania, Ukrainian Protectorate, and the Brasov-Covasna Enclave.

In that line of thought, the Sixth World Almanac map shows the (dispute) borders of former Yugoslavia in the exact state they are currently in the real world (with Kosovo as a separate entity as well). This also suggests some stabilisation, given that particularly Bosnia, but also parts of Croatia and Serbia were shown as extremely fractured in Shadows of Europe (as of  2063).

Register