Talk to me about IC

• 19 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
    • Moth's Mad Path
« Reply #15 on: (08:49:33/04-18-18) »
It's a shame I don't remember it, then...  I do think that's how I've been doing things, but now I'm not sure that's actually explained anywhere in the books.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: (04:28:07/04-22-18) »
https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11514.msg243927#msg243927

Also this:

p. 233 GRIDS. Grids on a Run
All the devices and people in a Shiawase facility will be using the Shiawase global grid
(All devices will be on the Grid. No devices will be inside the Shiawase facility host. Some devices will be slaved to the Shiawase facility host for better protection but they will still be out on the grid - in this case the Shiawase global grid. if you enter the Shiawase facility host you will have a direct connection to all devices out on the Shiawase grid that are slaved to the Shiawase facility host).
« Last Edit: (05:05:24/04-22-18) by Xenon »

Marcus

• Ace Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #17 on: (18:02:18/05-31-18) »
Are you implying that a PAN constitutes a host for the purposes of attack devices slaved to said PAN?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: (19:29:58/05-31-18) »
Not sure I understand your question.

A wireless enabled physical device will have a corresponding matrix icon. An icon that you can see and interact with out on the grid.

The owner of a wireless enabled device can choose to slave it to his commlink, cyberdeck or RCC (be part of a personal area network, or PAN for short). The device will still have an icon of its own out on the grid. You don't need to first hack or "enter" the master device before you can hack the device. In this edition the master device does not act like a router or server for the slaved device. You still interact with the device icon directly. However, the slaved device now does get to use the firewall rating of the master device when defending itself against matrix attacks (if the firewall of the master is higher than its original firewall rating) and if an attacker get a mark on the slaved device he will also get a mark on the master device. A decker that directly connect to the device (for example via cable between the device and his cyberdeck) can hack the device out on the grid without fighting the firewall of the master device (and without worrying about noise or grid penalties). You do not get a direct connection to devices in a PAN by having marks on the master device in the PAN.

The owner of a wireless enabled device can instead choose to slave it to a host he own (be part of a wide area network, or WAN for short). The device will still have an icon of its own out on the grid, a device icon can not be be inside a host (only icons in a host will be personas -such as deckers, spiders, agents and IC- and files). You don't need to first hack or "enter" the host before you can hack the device. In this edition the host does not act like a router or server for the slaved device. You still interact with the device icon directly. The slaved device now get to use the firewall rating of the host when defending against matrix attacks out on the grid and if an attacker get a mark on the slaved device he will also get a mark on the host.

While inside a host you can normally not interact with icons (such as devices or files or personas) out on the grid, but while you are inside the host you will actually be considered directly connected to any device out on the grid that is slaved to the host. This mean that a hacker inside a host can hack devices out on the grid that are slaved to the host, and without fighting the firewall of the host (and without worrying about noise or grid penalties).

It might be easier to think of SR5 devices as real life blue tooth devices, but instead of just 10m range... the blue tooth of SR5 will have unlimited range. To gain access to a jambox paired to an iphone you don't have to first hack the iphone. You can hack the jambox directly. In SR5 it is harder to hack a jambox that is already paired with an iphone, but if you manage to hack the jambox then you get to exploit the pairing to get a backdoor access into the iphone that the jambox is already paired with.

Also, if you directly connect your hacking device to the jambox with a cable then it will be easier to hack it since it can't borrow processing power from the firewall of the iphone, but you can still exploit the backdoor into the iphone the jambox is paired to.

In earlier editions the matrix acted more like a real life home network where you first had to hack and enter a top node router or server before you could gain access to the devices on the network. Doesn't work that way in SR5. You interact with devices directly.
« Last Edit: (19:42:01/05-31-18) by Xenon »

Marcus

• Ace Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #19 on: (20:18:09/05-31-18) »
Yes I follow and understand all that, but going into PAN and having IC attack an icon/device inside said PAN didn't make sense to me.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking