NEWS

Extend maximum pistol range?

• 44 Replies

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <04-19-17/2135:47> »
If they are made of "holograms and nanobots" they are no longer "iron" sights.

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <04-20-17/1140:01> »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok GR. I wouldn't trust aiming a firearm to a GPS navigation system with delusions of grandeur ("Thirty five degree angle, left. Aim up, twenty Degrees. Target has moved. Aim right, five degrees."), but I'm strangely ok with you doing it somewhere I'm not.

And yet, Modern Day Cruise Missiles/ICBM's are targeted by GPS...
As are some Guidable Bombs and Artillery Shells...
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <04-20-17/1221:58> »
How do you see that as relevant?

As long as something manages to correct your aim by saying "aim a bit more that way", it's good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLR5mjkfs4
« Last Edit: <04-20-17/1236:31> by Novocrane »

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <04-20-17/1332:57> »
How do you see that as relevant?

As long as something manages to correct your aim by saying "aim a bit more that way", it's good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLR5mjkfs4

The comment replied to was about trusting GPS as a means of Aiming deadly intent...

I wouldn't trust aiming a firearm to a GPS navigation system with delusions of grandeur

We do that all the time. And on a far larger scale. :)
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #34 on: <04-20-17/1337:37> »
I remember the good ol' days....

Like when Germany bombed England using nothing but a slide rule......
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <04-20-17/1357:31> »
If they are made of "holograms and nanobots" they are no longer "iron" sights.
Not necessarily true in the case of nanobots, and a meaningless technicality in any case. What's important is that they function on the same principles as iron sights.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <04-20-17/1435:17> »
Bah, kids these days with their nanoforged guns and their fancy little doohickeys. What do y'all call those again? Oh, right..."smartlinks", bah! All them fancy toys, yet not a single one of ya's ever landed a shot on me, nor are ya gunna! So don't none of y'all youngins get any bright ideas! -grumbles and goes back to cleaning vintage firearms-
  • Mouse
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

jerryme

• Newb
  • Power level: over 9000
« Reply #37 on: <04-20-17/1639:02> »

Homes and schools in London regularly have to be evacuated as German slide rules are found on construction sites.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #38 on: <04-20-17/1934:49> »

Homes and schools in London regularly have to be evacuated as German slide rules are found on construction sites.

Watch out for those slide rulers! They make great dual welded stabby and blunt force objects!

True fact: the Slide Rule killed more math teachers in the early 20th century then any other cause! (Usually cause some student would wigg out in frustration and beat the teacherto death with it...)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <04-20-17/2005:20> »
The comment replied to was about trusting GPS as a means of Aiming deadly intent...
No.

The comment you replied to was about using GPS-based verbal navigation to aim a firearm - and the mention of GPS was only in there so there would be a reference point for something slow and hindering in the process. ;)
« Last Edit: <04-20-17/2008:49> by Novocrane »

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <04-20-17/2132:36> »
No one else has actually suggested verbal navigation for a smartlink system though.

A Guide to Gridguide

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <04-20-17/2311:45> »

A thesaurus might be a good investment if you don't mean "speaking" when you use "saying". ::)

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <04-20-17/2323:15> »
So, you choose to interpret "saying" as "speaking" when the context suggests that "communicating" would be a more appropriate interpretation, and somehow I'm the one who needs a thesaurus?

A Guide to Gridguide

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <04-21-17/0002:05> »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok GR. I wouldn't trust aiming a firearm to a GPS navigation system with delusions of grandeur ("Thirty five degree angle, left. Aim up, twenty Degrees. Target has moved. Aim right, five degrees."), but I'm strangely ok with you doing it somewhere I'm not.

And yet, Modern Day Cruise Missiles/ICBM's are targeted by GPS...
As are some Guidable Bombs and Artillery Shells...

WW2 ships had analog computers that calculated firing solutions in real-time and even aimed the guns. They were big and primitive by modern day standards, and they needed a team of people inputting variables by spinning wheels and moving switches, but they were computers and hit their targets all the same. Aircraft had a similar idea.

And to be quite honest, if I can trust a 2017 computer to drive and parallel-park my car without incident, then I think I could trust a 2075 one to aim a firearm accurately.
« Last Edit: <04-21-17/0019:12> by Slipperychicken »

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <04-21-17/0109:26> »
So, you choose to interpret "saying" as "speaking" when the context suggests that "communicating" would be a more appropriate interpretation, and somehow I'm the one who needs a thesaurus?
Only if you want to be clear. My apologies if that's not your actual intent. Tone rarely comes through the internet in its original state.

I read into it as such initially, not because I believed it was your proper and true intent, but because it was an amusing image for me and humour is the most (if not only) meaningful thing to take from our continued talking to each other in this topic. Since then, we've managed to misinterpret, explain, and disagree that to death. Good job. :)