NEWS

Decker Decisions

• 32 Replies

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <01-28-17/2130:11> »
Yak Killer has a locked array. You can't switch between the matrix attributes. This makes it a bad deck. Go with the Microtronica Azteca 300 if you have 200.000 to spend. The Device rating for cyberdecks decides (among other things) how many programs can be run at the same time.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #16 on: <01-28-17/2215:33> »
So what would you all recommend in terms of programs for this guy to have? There's quite a few.

@450 a pop per program, yes all of them.

Yak Killer is 13R and as was pointed out it's stat locked. So even if it wasn't 13R I'd say no.

My base set would be something like Hammer, Baby Monitor/Decryption, and Armor. But all of them have uses, might as well have them around.
Decking is really something you should think about for awhile, and consider what works for your character Image. There should always be more solutions then just Dataspike. But at the same time, No reason not to just dataspike, if it gets the job done no strings attached.
« Last Edit: <01-28-17/2228:59> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

dresdran

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <01-28-17/2306:29> »
Yeah, I remembered about the special cyberdecks after I typed that. Got myself an Azteca 300 instead and as for the programs I bought the lot of them. I've also got a lovely MCT Blue Defender (with a Receiver dongle) to slave stuff to as well as a Nixdorf Sekretar (mostly as a backup device but also for the lovely Data Proc. plus Cable Tap dongle). Got to be prepared.

Edit: So what are the advantages to the specialty decks?
« Last Edit: <01-28-17/2315:36> by dresdran »

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <01-28-17/2320:17> »
They tend to be less expensive for their rating/stats. 

If you are also a more specialized decker (you use cybercombat exclusively over hacking).... they can be useful.
Or, if you have an agent, you can run the agent on the specialized deck for the agent to help you with specialized tests.

But mostly, I think they make more sense for more fleshed out NPCs/spiders. (Ex. When your decker gets wiped out by Corps Spiders and you don't get how they could keep so many hits, your GM could honestly tell you that they had Ring of Light specials.)
« Last Edit: <01-28-17/2324:08> by FST_Gemstar »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <01-29-17/1003:26> »
The reality is having a 1 is a dangerous liability. It's easy to get a 7 or even a 8 from a 6 with use of programs and overclock. But taking a 1 to 2 is basically useless.  Given the hacking pools are difficult to modify beyond the +2 from hot sim makes getting those pools much above basic attribute+skill to be a very inefficient. Which means having as many 5-6's in ASDF is much better as you get more effect from values going into static values, and also serves as decent limits is a lot more effective and efficient then having one higher value and one very low value. Even using quick swap to juggle around you will be weak somewhere.
Thinking
com
speaking

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-29-17/1041:18> »
Little Hornet with a couple Program Carriers and the Overclocker Positive Quality is all you'll ever need for a Sleaze Decker.  Matrix Actions are Complex Actions, you'll only be using one stat for your limit at a time.  Focus on Sleaze actions and leave your highest number in Sleaze, leave the 2nd highest in Firewall.  On those occasions you need to be doing Data Processing or Attack move the Sleaze over for that action, move it back when you're done with that one action.  And really the only Attack action you'll be doing is breaking file encryption, toss a point of Edge at it if you really need to keep your Sleaze up.  Or grab Perfect Time and swap at the start of your action, then back when you're done.

Seriously, 200k for a deck isn't by any stretch required.

Tipop

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <02-08-17/1549:22> »
The reality is having a 1 is a dangerous liability. It's easy to get a 7 or even a 8 from a 6 with use of programs and overclock. But taking a 1 to 2 is basically useless.  Given the hacking pools are difficult to modify beyond the +2 from hot sim makes getting those pools much above basic attribute+skill to be a very inefficient. Which means having as many 5-6's in ASDF is much better as you get more effect from values going into static values, and also serves as decent limits is a lot more effective and efficient then having one higher value and one very low value. Even using quick swap to juggle around you will be weak somewhere.
I've been told that the way the game mechanics work, you really only ever need two deck attributes at a time. So as long as you can switch them out twice per turn you can always have the two best attributes available where you need them.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <02-09-17/1037:59> »
I've been told that the way the game mechanics work, you really only ever need two deck attributes at a time. So as long as you can switch them out twice per turn you can always have the two best attributes available where you need them.

The "two attribute rule" is a little misleading.  Sure, you can shuffle things around on your turn to maximize whatever limit is attached to your test for that turn, but that doesn't take into account the ways in which your attributes (notably Firewall and Sleaze) matter on other people's turns.  Dumping Data Processing is...sort of safer?  The real risk there is you either lose an Action Phase or you drop your initiative below your opponent's so he goes last on the current IP and first on the next IP.

Shuffling Matrix attributes (and so some extent cyberprograms) is a skill test for players.  There's no single golden rule that's always applicable.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Tipop

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <02-09-17/1146:43> »
The whole point is that you have the Perfect Time quality (I think that's what it's called, if memory serves) so that you have two free actions each phase, and you have the program that lets you reconfigure *everything* with a free action. So you start off by reconfiguring everything for your turn, do whatever it is you're doing on your turn, then reconfigure everything back to what it was before the enemy has *their* turn, so your ADSF and programs are set up for defense again.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <02-09-17/1732:49> »
IMO, Perfect Time is overkill-ish.  You can put your 2nd highest stat in Firewall and your Highest in whatever action you're needed to do, as often as not it's Sleaze.  Unless you're literally in the middle of some crazy matrix Knife fight it shouldn't really matter.  And when it comes to Matrix Dog Fights, just don't. 

Achieve your objective.  Re-boot.  Get Paid.

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <02-10-17/2318:27> »
I feel the following is probably the best all around set up for a Combat Decker setting up priorities table using Sum-2-10

4-Cash = $450K
3-Attr = 20+8
3-Skills = 36/5g
0-Human = 3 Edge
0-Mag/Res = 0

It allows for the following very basic set up.

Around $200K in Deck,  $200K in Cyber,  $50K is remaining gear.

Cyber Arm w/ high Agility for sure & some Armor/STR as well.  Built in Cyberdeck & Comlink-6 are a must have for concealment.

Bod-3,  Agi-1,  Rea-5,  Str-1,  Wil-5,  Log-5,  Int-6,  Cha-2

10/20 Karma can boost those 1's to 2's &/or a single point of Muscle Replacement can take them to 2 or 3.
Cyber can boost Logic further.
Wired-1 is fairly cheap, as is Reaction Enhancers &/or Boosted Reflexes which will guarantee you 2-3 actions a turn.

Skills 36/5g is something I would normally set up as follows....
5G
6S
6S
6S
6S
1S

5G is for Electronics or Cracking
6S is for a Firearm of some time, Automatics is always basic & solid.
Other 6S are skills opposite the Electronics/Cracking group set.
1S can be useful for Groundcraft/Wheeled or Software/Databomb
6 is good for Perception
If you have a single skill left at some point then I suggest Sneaking/Urban, Con/Fasttalk, or even FirstAid to give you some added ability.

Why does your a tribute choice have a +8?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #26 on: <02-11-17/0129:16> »
Why does your a tribute choice have a +8?

Oh, that was just me noting the base 8 that all humans have by starting with 1's across the board.

B gets you 20 points for 28 total

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-14-17/1530:41> »
I think that the Erika is enough. It gets the job done and the difference from little hornet is not worth the chargen resources.  There is the smoke and mirrors that helps with sleaze and while cybercombat is a bit meh but as the decker progresses you can upgrade.  I'd rather have a limit of 5-6 and so many dice that I reliably reach it, than have a limit of 8 and 12 dice...  just saying.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <02-14-17/2046:47> »
I think that the Erika is enough. It gets the job done and the difference from little hornet is not worth the chargen resources.  There is the smoke and mirrors that helps with sleaze and while cybercombat is a bit meh but as the decker progresses you can upgrade.  I'd rather have a limit of 5-6 and so many dice that I reliably reach it, than have a limit of 8 and 12 dice...  just saying.

Don't you want Sleaze jacked up as high as possible so it's harder to spot you?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <02-14-17/2327:08> »

You can play that game, and for many things it can work. But perfect timing stat plan isn't ideal. You will be weak somewhere, that 1 doesn't actually go away. The question is what will your character be doing with decking? How often will they be up against spiders or demi's, sprites or AIs?  IC and comps are reasonably predictable, but intelligent opposition is not.

Now that all said I admit I really like Cybercombat in 5th, it's very possible to build something that will brick gear or wear even through a fairly serious firewall. Yes that sort of attack method has its weaknesses. But if you're looking for perfect method you're playing the wrong game.  I think the concept of rolling around cybercombating your way through the shadows is lots of fun.

Thinking
com
speaking