NEWS

Upcoming Shadowrun releases

• 1367 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1290 on: <07-15-20/1407:05> »
50cals are deadly as well and yet we have defense tests and game mechanics that make them survivable. Are grenades deadly sure,are they more deadly than a shot to the face by a anti equipment rifle.  No, no they are not. In fact they are far less deadly than that.  Halve the damage in each band, add a defense test, if the defender has more net hits they are one range band further away than the scatter would indicate, if after scatter the attacker has net hits they add to damage.

Personally, if I had it to design, I would run with this:

- Any attack that is not a spell tests attack test vs. defense. This test is all or nothing - you either avoid the attack or get hit.

- Hits have a base damage value, and are not adjusted by net hits.

- Critical hits occur when the attacker scores twice as many hits or more as the defender scores.

Even if it makes real life sense that some attacks can't be avoided (explosives is a good example), that doesn't work well for game design or balance, especially if we make the damage from those unavoidable attacks ludicrously high.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1291 on: <07-16-20/1934:55> »
"Explosives in Shadowrun are horribly OP."  Um, explosives IRL are horribly OP.  We use those things to blow up the sides of mountains!

Sure. I concede that in real life explosives kill you. Now let's get back to game discussion.

If you were playing shadowrun 6 with a PC, and died to one grenade toss with no defense test, would you consider that either fun or balanced? If yes, why?

Also if yes, do you consider that the same in other tabletop RPGs you play? Take DnD for example. If there was a weapon anyone could pick up, that gave you a +10 untyped bonus to hit, and killed you if you were anything other than an 18 Con barbarian, would you still feel the same?

I have to assume by your lack of response that you largely agree it's not fun or balanced. I get it, stating otherwise would be an losing hill to try to die on.

To be clear, I am don't say these things to be an ass or tear down your work man. My goal is only to highlight and draw relentless attention to the things that hold this game back from being the best version of itself it can be.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1292 on: <07-17-20/1215:33> »
While the discussion of grenades is something I've enjoyed reading, let's stop derailing this thread which is supposed to be about UPCOMING books.

I started a new thread to continue discussing grenades.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #1293 on: <07-18-20/0110:27> »
New sourcebook incoming?
Slip Streams

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1294 on: <07-18-20/0416:53> »
Can’t find anything on Drivethru yet... ??
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1295 on: <07-18-20/0619:11> »
Makes sense. Sounds like they just received the sample shipment, basically, while the full set of books will ship to USA soon. I did manage to Google-fu "the next plot book, which will be called Slip Streams and will pick up directly on one of Cutting Black’s big mysteries".
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #1296 on: <07-18-20/1308:24> »
Makes sense. Sounds like they just received the sample shipment, basically, while the full set of books will ship to USA soon. I did manage to Google-fu "the next plot book, which will be called Slip Streams and will pick up directly on one of Cutting Black’s big mysteries".

Ahh, so it's a plot/setting book and not a rules/mechanic supplement?

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1297 on: <07-20-20/1017:58> »

Ahh, so it's a plot/setting book and not a rules/mechanic supplement?

If you look carefully at the picture, it has "Plot Sourcebook" in the bottom corner.

And I hope it honestly does give answers to the many questions left hanging at the end of Cutting Black.  A lot of the plot from Cutting Black is hard to run as a GM because players are curious and start looking for answers, and if you let them find anything of substance it would be really easy to find out you are out of line with canon.  Detroit wrapped up fairly well, and there is enough info to help support Free Seattle, but the black outs and the disappearing army were set up and given a lot of 'live on the ground' detail, but it was all curiously hard to make into adventures (and 30 Nights is no better in that regard, there are all sorts of loose threads that players are apt to want to pull at, that don't provide info about where they lead)

Jack Hooligan

• Newb
« Reply #1298 on: <07-20-20/1625:17> »
Anyone got a line on when the Anarchy 2050 books will be dropping?

SITZKRIEG

• Newb
« Reply #1299 on: <07-21-20/1155:02> »
Anyone got a line on when the Anarchy 2050 books will be dropping?

I'm also interested in hearing that.  I just started a campaign (as in just yesterday) that is set in that era.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #1300 on: <11-17-20/0814:24> »
Hey all! Any rumor of any upcoming Holiday releases?  ;D

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #1301 on: <11-18-20/0814:40> »
Hey all! Any rumor of any upcoming Holiday releases?  ;D

Only one that we know is coming soon is Collapsing Now. No word on a release date; CGL got advance copies back in September, but who knows how the new wave of Covid is affecting supply lines (Like many RPG companies, they wait for physical books to be available before putting the PDFs up on DTRPG)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1302 on: <11-18-20/1041:06> »
I so want to read and use Collapsing Now... There's at least 2 parts in it that will be real useful for me.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #1303 on: <11-18-20/1044:54> »
Coincidentally, just ran across this today:

Street Wyrd

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1304 on: <11-18-20/1103:36> »
Coincidentally, just ran across this today:

Street Wyrd

Yeah that one is coming "soon", but LD had said on social media that it probably won't be before the holidays.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.