NEWS

Water cannon for drones and/or vehicles?

• 10 Replies

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« on: <09-23-16/2245:06> »
I swear this existed in 4th, but can't find it in 5th. I remember it being a fairly go-to weapon for vehicles, since it was both powerful and non-lethal.

I've seen references to a "Lone Star Flash Flood water cannon" but haven't been able to find more info on it, or whether it was ever ported over. Is it around this edition?
Playability > verisimilitude.

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-24-16/1506:02> »
I've not seen it, but you could try to build something, like using the flamethrower and it's rules from R&G, but change the damage type to water (SG I believe), so it would knock people down instead of setting them on fire.

adzling

« Reply #2 on: <09-27-16/1059:03> »
would have to be a huge drone to hold enough water for a water cannon...

wamphyri

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-27-16/1506:04> »
It existed in 4th. It is on page 124 of arsenal.

Lone Star FlashFlood Water Cannon: Intended to break up riots and demonstrations, a vehicle with a water cannon needs to carry a large water tank but it is the traditional weapon to break up protests. While it is low tech, injuries resulting from it do not even rate a mention on Matrix news updates. The water cannon uses SMG ranges. Treat as a full auto weapon that can only fire long bursts.

It did 8S and reduced armor by half.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <09-28-16/1533:17> »

Admittedly, the only time I have seen a water cannon deployed, it was mounted to a 16 wheeler...

But then again, not a lot of riots or demonstrations where I am.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-08-16/1731:47> »
It existed in 4th. It is on page 124 of arsenal.

Lone Star FlashFlood Water Cannon: Intended to break up riots and demonstrations, a vehicle with a water cannon needs to carry a large water tank but it is the traditional weapon to break up protests. While it is low tech, injuries resulting from it do not even rate a mention on Matrix news updates. The water cannon uses SMG ranges. Treat as a full auto weapon that can only fire long bursts.

It did 8S and reduced armor by half.

Thanks!

See signature.  :P
Playability > verisimilitude.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-16-16/2140:28> »
If you can connect to a hydrant, you only need a drone big enough for the cannon, though it does limit your options considerably.

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <10-18-16/1636:34> »
If you can connect to a hydrant, you only need a drone big enough for the cannon, though it does limit your options considerably.

Maybe with a Wirless Bonus?
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-13-16/1006:07> »
Shoot!

That one I missed.

*jots it down for the future*

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-13-16/1255:13> »

See signature.  :P
Actually, it's not that implausible.

We have modern water cannons that fire 200 gpm.  We can say that in futureworld, we've made a water cannon with a high-powered pump and optimized nozzle that let us get the same effect with half the water, so we're down to 100 gpm.  That's 5 gallons to fire the cannon for a round.  About 40 pounds per round.  A human could carry a couple rounds' worth, short-term.  An orc could carry several.  A troll might be able to carry a full minute's worth.  And a large drone or small car could carry more.

For a weapon like that, the way I'd probably handle ammo is one round's worth of water weighs 15 kg (since that's the lift/carry increment it simplifies things), and you can load it with as much ammo as you can physically carry.  If you have a vehicle-mounted water cannon, that will probably be a lot.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-15-17/1630:02> »
Personally I think this falls under Rigger 5.0's "Special Equipment" (same as dozer blades, snowblowers, etc) because it's equivalent to smaller the smaller water cannons seen on firetrucks, and there are way too many applications for it that aren't hurting people for it to be classified as a weapon. Plus, it would be just like those nasty corps to pack every last heavy machine gun (loaded with gel rounds, of course) onto their riot suppression vehicles and still have plenty of room for water cannons.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide