NEWS

5e rules for 4e

• 7 Replies

Accipiter

« on: <02-29-16/0306:02> »
I'm sure this has been asked before, but my search-fu is lacking at midnight...so I apologize...

I'm working on starting up a SR 4e (it's what my peeps know and what we have nearly all the books for) campaign once our current Pathfinder game wraps up.  I'm getting a head-start, slogging through the books, trying to get myself up to speed.  Been out of the game awhile.

As with most games, there's certain things I like and certain things I don't like.  Certain things from old editions, newer editions, etc.

I also have all of the 5th edition books (or access to, through friends, and can pick up as needed).

So, assuming access to ALL 4th and 5th material published in the US - what rules, if any, are worth snagging from 5th and trying to slip into 4th?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-29-16/0612:25> »
Surprise is better in 4E. Now you need only three hits to avoid surprise which is not that hard, even for most goons.

I'd also use the new damage and armor rules.
Multiple attacks could become a question of belief. You could allow it when you use recoil also along the 4E ruleset.

While the new pricing of 'ware forces a higher focus depending on the role, I think 4E had it better.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <02-29-16/0622:08> »
what did YOU like in 5e?

There is your answer :P
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #3 on: <02-29-16/0645:56> »
Limits I like actually.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-29-16/0849:17> »
5the Editition initiative would be worthwile to integrate
also Decks (NOT THE COST !!! ) as Items migt be interesting.
Having only one value in Armor (not the distinction between Ballistic and Impact) makes Combat a bit more easy.
 Stealth as a single  skill is better than the seperation of infiltration and Shadowing

Do not (ImO ! ) integrate Limits.
They're a stupid Spoilsport Rules  that hinder the Game needlessly.
Closecombat Damage (with Weapons doing STR instead of STR/2 Damage) is better.
I GM a SR2055 Round and we mix SR4A and SR5 Rules.
We use the Damage (and Armor ) of SR5 but the Combat Rules of SR4A (Wide and Narrow Burst, Multiple Attacks, etc)
The Combat is more deadly but even more Fun than in our 4A or our 5the ed Rounds ( I'm playing and GMing in 5 differnet Rounds)
So if You decide to use the Damage Code of SR5 beware of the danger

with a dangerous Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-29-16/0936:43> »
Limits work fine IMO. It reduces the insane levels of sux available in 4A unless you spend Edge, which also comes back in a real mechanically adjudicated way and not on GM whim.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Accipiter

« Reply #6 on: <02-29-16/1340:57> »
Thanks for the advice so far!

what did YOU like in 5e?

There is your answer :P

The sad thing is, I don't have a LOT of experience with 5th.  Read/Own some of the books, but barely played it.  Most of time spent playing/running was under 4th.  Now I think 4th is fairly solid, for the most part.  Some of it a little complex.

I was considering pulling in:

Initiative Passes (need to re-read, just to make sure it's viable)
Single Armor attribute - Just one number for everything, for ease.
Decks (I'm a traditionalist - though I plan on actually following the flow of the events/world, starting at the beginning of the 4th era, then working it through)

Things I'm not sure on:
Modifying the melee damage to STR+ instead of STR/2+ - how does this impact combat overall?  Does it require a reworking of guns to keep up?

Limits - in a way, I like them.  In a way, some of them feel REAL arbitrary.  I don't want to get into the pros/cons arguments, but it's a mixed bag.  If I can't make myself REALLY get behind it, I don't think I can sell it to my players.  The whole

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <02-29-16/1414:44> »
If you are keeping the single value armor, then you HAVE to increase melee damage to str from STR/2.

The armor scale up is such that without the melee damage increase, melee combat becomes watching two extremely old people fight.... even if they land a solid punch, there is nothing damaging behind it :P

In fact there is a small but VERY vocal crowd that thinks melee is useless even at STR damage...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Register