NEWS

Language Skills and Augmented Reality

• 8 Replies

Morcleon

• Newb
« on: <01-09-16/1124:45> »
On page 151 of the 5e core rulebook, the Language Skills table has an entry for "Using augmented reality visual display help" with a dice pool modifier of +1 to +4. How exactly does one figure out what the actual numerical modifier to use in this case is?

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #1 on: <01-09-16/1155:14> »
That... is an excellent question.

I would have thought maybe it has to do with loading Lingua-softs, but those go from 1-6. And they're used for Skilljacks, which would just give you that language at that rating.

Curious how all the other things that benefit from AR (like driving or crafting) just have a static value. Why this is a range, and why it's completely undefined, is a mystery.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-09-16/1307:28> »
GM fiat.

How do you determine what your modifiers for using build and repair in terms of having appropriate tools, or rendering medical assistance with regards to the conditions you're in, or using social and/or language skills are? The GM considers the tasks at hand, consults the relevant tables, and gives you your modifiers. Simple as that.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-09-16/1309:35> »
So Herr B, what factors would go in to you as a hypothetical GM assessing the level of the described bonus?
Playability > verisimilitude.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-09-16/1436:08> »
As a GM, I'd just make the AR bonus inverse to the complexity of conversation at hand.

The table lists complexity from universal concept or basic conversation (threshold 1) to obscure subject (threshold 4); so your AR visual display help is going to be of significant assistance when conversing about simple things (+4) but of less help when the subject gets increasingly complex (+1). If you wanted to formulate it, your dice bonus would be 5-(language test threshold).

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-09-16/1506:20> »
Yay Herr Brackhaus for the elegant and useful rules interpretation!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <01-09-16/1518:14> »
I agree with Herr B. As for what the 'AR help' is supposed to be, I'd say it is likely the equivalent of using an Engilsh-Spanish dictionary or phrasebook, or using some other automated translation program. Sure, it'll give you the gist of things, especially with the most common stuff, but you'll find that a lot of slang and technical terms will get mangled. Herr B nailed how I would adjudicate it as well, though I might put circumstance mods in play. An EVO autotranslate program talking about EVO products, for instance, or a military autotranslate program discussing military matters. Similar to how lingos can affect language tests.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Morcleon

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-09-16/1557:03> »
As a GM, I'd just make the AR bonus inverse to the complexity of conversation at hand.

The table lists complexity from universal concept or basic conversation (threshold 1) to obscure subject (threshold 4); so your AR visual display help is going to be of significant assistance when conversing about simple things (+4) but of less help when the subject gets increasingly complex (+1). If you wanted to formulate it, your dice bonus would be 5-(language test threshold).

Ah, thanks! Talked to my GM and she liked your solution.

brasso

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-09-16/1624:02> »
Could be something like this, but using AR glasses of some sort

http://www.augmentedrealitytrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Google-Translate-app.jpg
The system we learn says we're equal under law
But the streets are reality, the weak and poor will fall