NEWS

Best Assault Rifle

• 139 Replies

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #90 on: <04-07-16/1129:31> »
The best assault rifle is the one in your hands provided you have ammo. The worst is the one in your opponents hands.

Richard Marcinko once said (mind you I am paraphrasing) the weapon does not matter whether it be a G-3, AK47, FN FAL, or M16.  It is the shooter pulling the trigger that makes it deadly.   

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #91 on: <04-07-16/1327:04> »
ok I will give you  my old beat up rusted 22 rifle

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #92 on: <04-07-16/1618:51> »
All I am going to say is,

"There is a reason why a 70 year old gun is still the most popular weapon in the world"
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #93 on: <04-08-16/1149:01> »
ok I will give you  my old beat up rusted 22 rifle

Ha! Okay you can build silencers for .22s easily.  It would be a pretty good close range assassination weapon and it would not be a financial burden to toss it after words.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #94 on: <04-08-16/1701:57> »
There's a lot of fiddlin' I'd love to do with assault rifles. There ar also several that need to be in books but aren't yet.

Hm.

Hmm...

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #95 on: <04-08-16/1835:02> »
SMGs could use some love too, I'd almost always go for a Machine Pistol or Assault Rifle over an SMG right now.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« Reply #96 on: <04-08-16/1841:34> »

Yeah, the RnG Smg selection was very disappointing - all that filler; but only two sMguns, both illegal.

My vote: Colt Inception. Legal, accurate, powerful. No smartgun BS.

-g
wdg

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #97 on: <04-08-16/1853:24> »
My favorite SMG is the Sigma 3 but I'd really like a mechanic for reloading a drum fed weapon other than by hand. 

adzling

« Reply #98 on: <04-08-16/2003:52> »
here's a few fun ones from our campaign, two of them are REAL weapons today ;-)
Although none of them are assault rifles.

I'll post some of the "Assault rifle pistols" in our campaign a little later (google it, it's a thing to cut the stock from an assault rifle, shorten the barrel insanely so it approaches the size of a really big pistol/smg).
Recoil would be nuts and accuracy poor but they pack a nice punch.

Waiting for Reaver to comment ;-)
« Last Edit: <04-08-16/2008:25> by adzling »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #99 on: <04-09-16/0046:14> »
The only issue I see is with the spray down.... the ACC is too high for a short barreled, rapid fired, hip supported assault round.

More like 3(5). Its built to hide and suppress, not shoot dimes at 200 meters.

Other then that, no real issues.

'Gambler's riggs' have been around for 200 years (arm slide). Though generally with a very small weapon. (AKA ammo count)

And I have fired a cut down M4....
Makes for a sore wrist and a barn scared shitless at anything over 15 meters with any speed to the shots....

All in all, a waste of time when there are already pistols that exceed assault rifles in TKO proformance... (the .357, .41, .44, .44-40, .50, .454 all either cal or mag.) And they fit in a holster, and don't require modification.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

adzling

« Reply #100 on: <04-09-16/0108:12> »
agreed good catch

The only issue I see is with the spray down.... the ACC is too high for a short barreled, rapid fired, hip supported assault round.

More like 3(5). Its built to hide and suppress, not shoot dimes at 200 meters..

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #101 on: <04-09-16/0633:36> »
I like the house ruled guns, agree with Reaver on ACC.

Someone mentioned the Colt Interception. I like the idea and want to love the weapon, but the AP is just to low for me, problem with all the assault rifles in GH3.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #102 on: <04-09-16/0801:34> »
One small problem is that the SMG is really handy for close-combat and portability in a way that (most) rifles aren't.

But we don't have any sort of close-in mechanic for awkward shooting, thus, a hold-out pistol's no better than a sniper rifle, and a sniper rifle is no worse than a hold out pistol, when you're wrestling with somebody. A GM might rule otherwise based on, you know, reality, but, some people get a tad angry that there's no rule that says you can't.

So, that takes away a reason for the durn things, leaving them less-concealable than a pistol and less powerful than an AssRifle, so, nobody really touches them.

(Sniper rifles, as they stand, are a real bugbear for me, due to being the best weapon around.)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #103 on: <04-09-16/0851:37> »
Yeah, mechanically SMGs are in an odd place.  The Machine Pistols have the concealability and the same damage.  The ARs win for damage and can be made to be somewhat concealable.  Some SMGs have more firing mode options than the machine pistols so I guess if you really need Full Auto in as small a package as possible SMG is the answer.  Unless you've got a Bullpup AR with the Stock removed and the Short Barrel mod, then you're back down to a +2 Concealability on an 11P or so weapon.  -2 ACC can be overcome with other mods, recoil would be an issue though without Stock or Barrel Mods if you're doing full auto bursts. 

In any case, mechanically, SMGs are kind of niche unfortunately. 

And I gotta disagree with Sniper Rifles being the best weapon.  At least for Shadowrunners not in the CZ.  If Concealability and Legality don't matter then the ArmTech MGL-12 wins.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #104 on: <04-09-16/1051:25> »
Except for range, Accuracy, and cost; each shot with that launcher is 40-100 nuyen (depends on the rounds you're using).  Plus, a ton of collateral damage, as opposed to singular bullet holes. 

Yeah, the big problems with SMGs is that machine pistols and carbines fill the role they should take better than the SMG does. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Register