NEWS

[SR5] Move-by-Wire System

• 62 Replies

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« on: <07-01-15/1340:58> »
Restricted Gear: 10 Karma
Biocompatibility: 5 Karma
Rating 3 Alpha grade Move-by-Wire System: 3.5 Essence, 246000¥, +3 Reaction, +9 Initiative, +1D6 Initiative Dice, Rating 6 Skillwire system.
Rating 6 standard grade Skilljack: 0.6 Essence, 60000¥

Being able to instantly use any active, knowledge, and/or language skill along with the benefit of being dangerously quick on the draw. Priceless.

Yep, skillwires are BACK, baby!

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-01-15/1352:05> »
Can not use Restricted Gear to get the alphaware on the level 3 Move by Wire, raises the availability above 24
« Last Edit: <07-01-15/1354:04> by SichoPhiend »
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-01-15/1355:19> »
Ah, good point. That 5 Essence cost is a little hard to swallow, for sure. A Rating 2 Alpha grade system would be 2.8 Essence, and less expensive. With high attributes, that would still be useful and leave significant room for improvement.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-01-15/1414:30> »
Ah, good point. That 5 Essence cost is a little hard to swallow, for sure. A Rating 2 Alpha grade system would be 2.8 Essence, and less expensive. With high attributes, that would still be useful and leave significant room for improvement.

Another RG would let you get Adapsin with would net at least another. 3 essence, more if you took all cyber. To bad we didn't get any kind of Augmentation Improvement like Awakened got for their Foci in Street Grimore. Guess it's still suck with only the 'ware from Chargen for the foreseeable future.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-01-15/1415:48> »
Restricted Gear can only be taken once during character creation, and after chargen I'd personally rather cultivate contacts that can get me this kind of stuff than spend karma on qualities.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-01-15/1425:42> »
Rating 3 Alpha grade Move-by-Wire System: 3.5 Essence, 246000¥, +3 Reaction, +9 Initiative, +1D6 Initiative Dice, Rating 6 Skillwire system.

Being able to instantly use any active, knowledge, and/or language skill along with the benefit of being dangerously quick on the draw. Priceless.

all for the low cost of Temporal lobe epilepsy w/ complications

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-01-15/1434:45> »
TLE-x is by no means a requirement for any wared character...

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-01-15/1743:02> »

all for the low cost of Temporal lobe epilepsy w/ complications
This. Also, maybe it's just me, but skillwires make a character look like a rich kid who saw too many trids/sims and decided to become a runner because it's "cool".

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-01-15/1836:51> »
There's some truth to that, but there's some room for some interesting designs via Skillsofts. The old cost was too high, and the new one is still a touch higher than I'd *like*, but it's almost there.

But that's for another thread. This is for Move-by-Wires, and I'm curious if they're being received well. A goal of mine was to have the basic system (Rating 1) available at chargen to people, instead of forever being a "Heard of, but never seen" bit of gear like before. The higher-grade'll still be rare, natch, but, Rating 1 is there out of the gate.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-01-15/1941:48> »
To put it this way, Wakshaani, since we use the skilljack cost from the German rulebook, I'll definitely be making a character with Move-by-Wires. As I hope is obvious from this thread, I'm very exited about their return as a viable piece of kit.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <07-01-15/1957:09> »
Sadly, I don't have the German versions, but I understand that their Skilljack is more in line with teh cost from waaaaaay back in the day. Like, 2000 X Rating or so.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-02-15/0400:03> »
course you could always just get active hardwires at a fraction of the essence cost

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-02-15/0959:58> »
Depends if you need a little or a lot.  Active Hardwires add up fast if you want/need several skills but if you just need one or two skills to round out your character then hardwires are a pretty good solution IMO. 

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-02-15/1028:15> »
A thing that didn't make it past my brainstorming session was how corps buy "Skillsoft Licenses", which allow them to copy an Activesoft several times for less than the cost of buying that number individiually. Combined with Active Hardwires, this gives you the "Wageslave Drone" assembly line process, where you round up a bunch of poor in, say, India, stick "How to assemble toasters 4" into them, then set them loose on the task. In this way, it's actually cheaper than training them, and it locks them into a career path since the implanted Activesoft isn't very good at doing other things.

The flavor's still present, but I never quite hammered the rules out in a way I wanted. One day! One day...

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <07-02-15/1846:30> »
Restricted Gear can only be taken once during character creation, and after chargen I'd personally rather cultivate contacts that can get me this kind of stuff than spend karma on qualities.

True... yeah Move-by-Wire definitely didn't make the transition to 5th edition very well. It got a +1 to skillwire for Rating 3 but got nerfed pretty comprehensively else where. Like no Defense Test Dice made it through whereas there used to be a Dodge Bonus, MbW used to be the only thing that stacked with Reaction Enhancers but now that can't happen, the offloading the Initiative Die to a straight bonus is nice and all but you are getting less Defense Dice again without the Reaction bonus, & now incur a Social skill penalty. So all in all they took one of my favorite pieces of 'ware in 4th edition and made it something I'll sadly poke with a stick and wish it wasn't dead.