NEWS

Street Samurai Survey

• 111 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #90 on: <08-06-15/1907:55> »
To me at least, Race is a strawman issue. All races can be Street Sams.

Out of the others:

Resouces
Attributes
Skills
Pretty much in that order.
You need the resources to buy your toys... and as a Sam, you have a LOT of toys to buy! Guns, armor, ware, ammo, are the main ones. Lifestyle, transportation and 'fun' are also important.

Attributes to have a solid foundation. You're going to get hit. That's a fact of the job. Having strong base attributes before armor and ware allow you to survive and do your job just that much better.

Skills (for me) come in at 3rd, as the next important. Combat is your bread and butter, but don't forget to pick up those noncombat, yet still important skills such as social, stealth, and perception as they are just as important as your weapon skills. You don't need to "fade into the shadows" or out talk a politian, or be able to spot a needle at 1000 yards.... but you don't want to be knocking over trash cans while sneaking, or limited to mono-sylible responses. And you Definately want to be able to spot the guard, before he spots you!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #91 on: <08-06-15/1930:13> »
For me it does depend on Race.

If I am building a Human or Elf Sam I'll go

1. Resources
2. Attributes
3. Skills

For trolls, orks and dwarves I'll almost always swap attributes and resources. 

1. Attributes
2. Resources
3. Skills

With the former I'll emphasize maxing initiative and avoiding attacks.  With the latter initiative will have a lower priority and I'll concentrate on being as indestructible as possible as well as take advantage of the natural attribute bonuses available since I'm paying through the nose for them anyway.  It also bugs me about the added expense (and availability) of fully tricked out cyberlimbs for orks, trolls and dwarves so I'm a lot less likely to use them with these metatypes.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #92 on: <08-07-15/0322:42> »
I will generally use 'Resources, Skills, Attributes' in that order, but they can be played around with, especially if I'm looking to make something different - a young street-sam-to-be (attributes, skills, resources, but possibly with Race as a more important part), a more subtle corporate samurai, that sort of thing.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #93 on: <08-07-15/0845:02> »
Hmmm...
Resources-Skills-Attributes.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #94 on: <08-07-15/0951:36> »
See, these are the kinds of discussions that I love to see, and why I starte dthe survey in the first place.

Which reminds me, we are *wildly* overdue for the next question.

IN ORDER, what are the top three priorities for a Street Samurai, out or magic, race, attributes, skills, and resources? Note that I don't need to know what skills or what attributes here, only what's your #1 priority, your #2, and then your #3. (In general. Obviously specific things, like a Troll Samurai, will mix it up.)

Race is typically the first priority you pick, but not necessarily the highest.  After you've picked race, Resources likely gets the highest remaining, then stats, then skills.  Magic is E unless you're doing something novel.   

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #95 on: <08-07-15/0957:33> »
See, these are the kinds of discussions that I love to see, and why I starte dthe survey in the first place.

Which reminds me, we are *wildly* overdue for the next question.

IN ORDER, what are the top three priorities for a Street Samurai, out or magic, race, attributes, skills, and resources? Note that I don't need to know what skills or what attributes here, only what's your #1 priority, your #2, and then your #3. (In general. Obviously specific things, like a Troll Samurai, will mix it up.)

Race is typically the first priority you pick, but not necessarily the highest.  After you've picked race, Resources likely gets the highest remaining, then stats, then skills.  Magic is E unless you're doing something novel.
I REALLY wanted to try and make a kind-of-scary ork burnout sam with Commanding Voice work. Unfortunately there was just way too much ware I wanted, and it was impossible to pull off in priority.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #96 on: <08-07-15/1026:59> »
I REALLY wanted to try and make a kind-of-scary ork burnout sam with Commanding Voice work. Unfortunately there was just way too much ware I wanted, and it was impossible to pull off in priority.

Oni, drop the burnout angle, go straight up intimidate?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #97 on: <08-07-15/1029:43> »
That's close to what I ultimately settled on, just pure chrome. There was no way to fit magic in. Still tweaking it though.

Atlessa

• Newb
« Reply #98 on: <08-07-15/2102:54> »
1. Attributes
2. Magic
3. Skills

*grabs popcorn*

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #99 on: <08-08-15/0159:53> »
1. Resources
2. Skills
3. Attributes

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #100 on: <08-08-15/0647:01> »
I feel like JoAT made it much easier to dump skills more. Sams are an archetype which can get away with fewer skills. I don't like to be super narrow but in priority there are worse options.
« Last Edit: <08-08-15/0649:11> by Whiskeyjack »

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #101 on: <08-08-15/0812:13> »
JoAT? Not familiar with that term...

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #102 on: <08-08-15/0833:00> »
Jack of All TradeS. It's a PQ from Run Faster.

Deadborder

• Chummer
  • For love and free Thuds
« Reply #103 on: <08-08-15/1951:00> »
Generally  for me it's Resources then Attributes then Skills.

Resources is for buying Cyberware and other equipment; you need the Yens to build yourself into the best person you can be. This is especially true of the high-cost, high-investment 'ware like Wired Reflexes, which I consider essential to being a Sam

Attributes is second as it gives you a good baseline to work from; a Sam needs a lot of good stats beyond just those used for shooting, and as such giving your base stats a big bump is a good plan. It gives you a solid foundation to build on

Skills is third to boost those abilities from your attributes and 'ware. Focus on obviously the key combat skills in combination with attributes and augmentations to be a murder machine, but don't neglect other skills. However, in general, I find a low skill more forgiving then a low base stat

FWIW, my Elf Sam character was Resources A, Attributes B, Skills C.

Atlessa

• Newb
« Reply #104 on: <08-09-15/0833:21> »
Jokes/Sarcasm aside; Why does no one consider using Adept powers instead of 'ware for a Streetsam? It's what I would do. Always.