NEWS

[5e IC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

  • 297 Replies
  • 30311 Views

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3722
« Reply #45 on: (18:17:15/03-04-15) »
Achak lowers his weapon, declining the club patrons' generous offer to mug them. Sheathing his club, he brings his Ares Crusader (and its low-light flashlight) up so that he can see with the lights off. He pushes his way through the mob, bulldozing a path toward the staircase leading up to the third floor.

He spots Sister Rebecca on the landing between floors and immediately notices her raised MGL and her firing stance. He doesn't know whether to be relieved that she's not actively using the underbarrel chainsaw or nervous that she's firing an explosive in a contained space.

His heightened hearing detects the soft "pop" of a sawdust grenade, so much gentler than a frag grenade or a flash-bang. He pokes his head (and gun) around the corner to see a Székely (a fat Székely, no less) raising his hand to his face as he begins choking on the sawdust cloud. The man bolts faster than a greased pig, even as he's gargling on his own blood.

<<@Team [Achak] Target acquired. In pursuit.>>

Achak bounds up the stairs after him and hears a door being torn off its hinges. He races around the corner blindly, his bouncing flashlight doing nothing to illuminate the hallway. I hope there isn't a Zeke posted up in the hallway with night-vision goggles and an LMG. Not that Zekes need night-vision goggles with their thermographic vision and astral sight, but still.

He sees the remains of the door. He posts up next to the doorway, before leaning around the corner and waving his gun/flashlight into the room.

rednblack

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3225
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #46 on: (18:34:43/03-04-15) »
Achak sweeps the flashlight across the room.  To the left, a bare mattress and box springs set on edge against the wall.  Maybe a small Zeke could fit behind there, but no way a man that size would fit.  To its right, a wood laminate dresser sits, its top drawer half open, and obscuring the only window in the room.  Achak continues his sweep, noting the kitchenette against the right wall, a frying pan still sitting in the sink even though it doesn't look like anyone has occupied this particular unit in years.  The Zeke's white shirt lies on the floor, and Achak notes two doors at the right end of the unit, the one closest to him is undoubtedly a closet, with a sliding mirror as the door.  The other is partially open, and he can hear the sound of running water coming from within.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3722
« Reply #47 on: (19:57:48/03-05-15) »
Achak takes a second to survey the dilapidated unit. Something's wrong but he can't figure out what. There's a sensation in the back of his head that he associates with Dog barking, even though it's not an audible noise. It's more like a vibration, or an echo in his skull, that tells him that there is danger nearby. Then, to his left, a flicker of moment, a creak of a floorboard, an errant odor.

Clever girl, Achak smiles to himself, impressed that a newborn had the discipline to establish an ambush. Or boy.

Or maybe it wasn't really an ambush and Achak had just been completely oblivious to the vampire standing there the whole while.

There are three loud shots from a heavy pistol, but Achak isn't there anymore. He rolls to the side to change the angle, confuse the shooter, and ready his inevitable counterattack.

8-bit

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 2732
« Reply #48 on: (20:39:46/03-05-15) »
The only indication that Stake has that the lights go out is the sound of all the electricity shutting off. The bartenders seemed to be following his orders to the letter, so Stake prepares his attack. 4 to 1 were not good odds, but he wasn't out yet. Sending a command to his mask, the autoinhaler releases a dose of kamikaze into his system. It would take a few seconds to start working, but he didn't have time to wait. He looked down at his gun, the smartlink helpfully informing him that he had used 9 bullets. He only had one clip of Gel Rounds, and as annoying as they were, these guards were just doing their job.

Setting the fire mode to Semi-Automatic, he pressed himself against the side of the bar. He popped his head above, gun ready to fire. A mere second passes as Stake analyzes his opponents. It isn't long before he notices the flashlight attached to one of the guard's guns. That one had to go; the darkness was the only thing helping him. Taking aim and firing, the gun makes a slight sound as the bullet strikes its target. The helmet falls off and his gun goes flying as the guard gets pushed backwards by the impact of the Gel Round.

1 down, 3 to go.

A few bullets whiz past, and before Stake can get fully behind the bar, he feels the impact as one sinks itself into his armor.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal, Whisper

Allergies' Thread

rednblack

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3225
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #49 on: (11:12:31/03-06-15) »
@Stake

The Yakuza above him on the balcony carry the deportment of a cohesive unit.  While one makes a break for the stairwell, the other three try to keep Stake pinned down.  One well-placed shot on Stake's part did its best to work toward evening the odds, but the return fire was less than pleasant.  As the Yakuza shoot, they dart to the south, careful to stay in cover as they move.

@Achak

As Achak comes out of his roll, he comes face to face with a Zeke.  Blondish hair, bare-chested, and fit, as Achak sweeps his flashlight over the vampire, he sees his own purpose begin to dawn on the Zeke's face.  Fear turns to a smile, as he drops the pistol, and begins to advance.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

8-bit

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 2732
« Reply #50 on: (11:55:12/03-10-15) »
The impact feels like someone slammed their fist into his sternum, but a few seconds later, the pain recedes. His 'ware was hard at work.

Stake ducks back down behind the bar. Keeping his head down, he moves farther down the bar. It wouldn't confuse them for long, but he didn't need it to. He popped back up, took aim, and fired. The round impacts, and the target falls backward, gun in hand. Stake doesn't stick around to check if he's still conscious.

<<@Team [Stake] 2 out of 4 guards down. Status?>>
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal, Whisper

Allergies' Thread

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3722
« Reply #51 on: (15:19:21/03-10-15) »
Achak debates whether to shoot the vampire or to draw his club and go toe-to-toe in the hallway. The situation develops further when Sister Rebecca reaches the top of the stairs, turns to her left, and fires a sawdust grenade. (One of my sawdust grenades, Achak thinks proudly.) The grenade explodes, covering the hallway in powdery dust.

The vampire recoils and stops advancing, which makes Achak's decision easier. He figures the vampire is more likely to take off running than to charge forward, so he raises his Ares Crusader just in case he needs to shoot the bloodsucker in the back. He aims for the head and neck, knowing that the wooden flechettes have little penetrating power, and fires off a three-round burst. The shot is complicated by the giant cloud of particulate matter, so Achak fires in a fan instead of clustering his shots.

The strategy pays off. One of the shots finds its way into Zeke's throat. It staggers and drops, unable to regenerate the lethal damage. Achak feels a swelling bubble of pride, which he quickly pops as the danger has not yet passed. No more dead teammates, no more Yohans.

Poindexter

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3844
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #52 on: (17:23:19/03-10-15) »
MOTHER OF PEARL! That man is fast! The armored form of Achak goes streaking past her on the steps during the moment it takes for her to stop and fire at the vampire above her. Wasting no time to follow after him, her powerful legs just can't keep up and in another second, she's lost sight of him as he charges after it, through the opening made by the fleeing monster. Rebecca puts her head down and forces her limbs to obey her and move faster.

Six steps from the top, she hears the gunfire. Too far away to have come from the lost brother. Someone must be ambushing him, and from the flashes of light in the darkness, she's certain the attacker is to the left. Not knowing the caliber of the weapon currently firing at where she's about to be, she whispers a quick prayer for protection on her way up the remaining few stairs. "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." She imagines the spell will take hold about the same time she bursts through the opening.

In one swift motion, she slides through the entry and into the hallway, twists to the left, and levels her launcher hip level at the vampire down the hall. -THOOMP!-

In the brief moment she watches the pill soar down the hallway at him, she realizes a few things. One, that her aim hadn't been as perfect as it had been on the stairs, but hopefully it would be close enough. Secondly, that her target had just dropped his firearm, probably in preparation for a charge, so even if she misses with the nade, she'll probably still get a swipe at it. Thirdly, she realizes that her armor had yet to manifest. She hadn't felt any drain either. Next to her, Leliel wears a stern look and Sister Rebecca, upon noticing it, immediately divines it's meaning. I must better protect the flock before the Heavenly Chorus will better protect me. Heard and understood. Leliel nods but once, slowly and firmly.

<<@Team [Stake] 2 out of 4 guards down. Status?>>

Watching the pill fly just off mark and seeing the hungry look in her foe's eye as he prepares to charge, Rebecca decides against responding right away in favor of sending a different, more urgent message.

<<@Dustnade [Owner] DETONATE>>

Between the darkness and the cloud of sawdust filling the air, it's tough to tell if she got him or not, but the horrible shrieking of pain from down the hall tells her she was close enough. A mili-second later, three shots ring out in close succession from just behind her. Her thermal shows the foe drop immediately. This is starting to work out!
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3722
« Reply #53 on: (14:29:37/03-12-15) »
Achak is barely through with not admiring his shot when a vampire tears at him with ferocious speed and lethal intent. The sight of the shirtless man throws Achak off-guard, the vampire's rippling mass hypnotizing Achak with waves of flab.

Lord, am I being attacked by the SoyPuff Marshmallow Man?

The pace at which the man moves, especially given his build, further surprises Achak. He sees the fist swinging for his neck and it's all he can do to lower his chin to get the faceplate of his helmet in the way. The brutal punch snaps his head to the side but the helmet absorbs the worst of the blow. It rings his bell. He looks for Rebecca and her MGL, wondering if he's going to have a front-row seat for a chainsawing.

Poindexter

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3844
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #54 on: (15:28:54/03-12-15) »
Hearing the crack of fist against hard armor behind her, Sister Rebecca lets muscle memory and training take over. With a second fluid motion, she lets the grenade launcher drop from her grasp and tumble to the floor before gripping her shining blade with both hands around the hilt, raising to a full standing position, and spinning herself and the blade around directly on the path toward the flabby beasts neck. Her form and timing are perfect and deadly accurate. Alas, his devilish speed proves too much for her and in a blur of motion, he steps inside her swing, grasping her lead wrist with intent to snap the limb straight off. "DIE, FIEND!!!" she shrieks as she struggles with his impressive strength for a moment before finally breaking his grip and shoving him away with a well placed shoulder check. She takes the slight pause in life-or-death action to update the team leader with a thought sent to her comm.

<<@Team [Sister Rebecca] 2 contacts. 1 down. Engaging second, 2 on 1.>>
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3225
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #55 on: (16:32:36/03-12-15) »
@Stake

Stake can see the sharp-shooting yakuza with the SMG struggle to his feet and stumble a few meters before heaving himself heavily behind the last pillar.  His bell is rung for sure, but before Stake can take advantage of the situation, the sound of automatic fire encourages him to duck behind the bar.  The sound bullets smacking into the bar and the hollow noise of them puncturing the plastic synthahol bottles briefly eclipses the shrieks from the remaining customers as they flee the building.

@Achak and Sister Rebecca

The doughy, balding vampire reaches out for Sister Rebecca's hand as she pulls it away, only to dodge backward with preternatural ease as Achak fires off six rounds from his automatic weapon.  A sliver of the wooden flechettes grazes his cheek, and his skin peels back in protest. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3722
« Reply #56 on: (16:20:42/03-13-15) »
Achak does little more than nick the vampire with his burst of flechettes. Growling, the Amerind throws aside his Ares Crusader, the sling catching it and carrying it to his back. He draws his gunstock war club, immediately more comfortable with it than he is with the machine pistol.

He tries to draw it out of the sheath and bring it down on the vampire's head in one smooth motion. The plan is reasonable but the vampire swings his arm up and swats the flat side of the club while it's on its downward arc. The redirected club glances off the vampire's shoulder then slams into the ground harmlessly.

Achak can hardly believe it. He's fighting two adepts with weapon foci to a standstill! Shirtless! His only consolation is that the vampire's nimble blocking has kept it distracted, giving it less time to counterattack. Achak's thoughts turn to the popper of Jazz in his pocket. It calls out to him, promising alertness and speed. He would reach for it were he not face-to-face with a vampire who might twist his head off like a bottle cap if given an opportunity, helmet or no helmet.

<<@Team [Achack] Busy!>>

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3722
« Reply #57 on: (01:43:09/03-14-15) »
The Zeke must have read Achak's mind about taking his head off, because the vampire lashes out with a karate chop at Achak's neck that's faster than a cobra strike. Achak can feel Dog barking with a frenzied, panic tone that underscores the severity of the situation.

Achak instantantly decides to change his stance, sacrificing his ability to attack in exchange for personal protection and maybe, just maybe, a counterstrike from Sister Rebecca. Taking a cue from the vampire's effective defense, Achak swings his club up to knock the vampire's hand off course. He connects, successfully parrying the blow and saving his own neck in the process. A mighty fortress is our Dog! I mean God.

As much as Achak would love to land the decisive blow in this engagement, the ultimate goal is for both Achak and Sister Rebecca to be able to walk away. To that end, Achak tries to tie up the vampire and improve Sister's odds of slicing through the Zeke's defense. Instead of withdrawing his club to strike again, Achak follows through with his parry to try to pin the vampire's arm. The vampire is crafty and sees what Achak is trying to do. Zeke retracts his hand to free it from the club, but in doing so he spends a precious moment of time and attention that Sister Rebecca is only too ready to capitalize on.

"Now!"

Poindexter

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3844
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #58 on: (02:05:30/03-14-15) »
It's a hectic few seconds, but the outcome is never really in question. After that first blinding-fast parry from the dough-boy, the demon-hunter was not going to underestimate it again, especially not after seeing the way it had danced out of the path of her companions bullets at close range. Despite her continued swinging and slashing like mad at him, he always stays one step ahead of her, twisting her arm out of proper form, shoving against her and disturbing her balance at just the right time. Then Achak makes his move. Sister Rebecca sees him leave an opening, one which the beast strikes at immediately, taking the bait. From there, Achak is able to pin one of his arms for just a breath, but a breath has been all the time Rebecca has been short this whole fight. She puts all her weight onto her rear foot, and pushes off as hard as she can, jutting the blade into a low, rising thrust and twisting around his slowed guard at the last second. Without a sound, it plunges into his chest hilt deep, the cold blade jutting out of his back, dripping with the creatures warm blood in her thermo vision. Before she even removes the sword from the creature and before it has finished dying, she sends a message while watching her helmeted visage reflected back in the creatures terrified eyes.

<<@Team [Sister Rebecca] Second contact down. Continuing search.>>

"You fucking cunt..." it spatters out in Japanese before letting out a pained gasp as she pulls the blade from its chest using one foot to push against his flubbery weight. He tumbles to the floor and gurgles out his final breaths. As she turns around and crouches to retrieve her launcher, she says to Achak now behind her over the sub-vocal channel, "Unless it gave intel, I care not what the beast said. Do not repeat its words."



« Last Edit: (00:10:51/03-15-15) by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3722
« Reply #59 on: (13:49:09/03-18-15) »
Achak looks ready to thump the downed vampire once or twice, just to make sure he stays down. But, man, why bother when Sister Rebecca skewered him with her pig-sticker like that?

His head whips to the side. Footsteps.

<<@Team [Achak] Footsteps on stairs. Ambushing.>>

He throws a look to Sister Rebecca, indicating she should hide. He gets into position around the corner from the top of the stairs, spinning his club lightly in his hands. The footsteps sound heavy and he's guessing that wooden flechette isn't the appropriate ammo for what's coming up the stairs. No time to swap out the clip in the Crusader: it's clobbering time.