NEWS

seting questions

• 5 Replies

Carcajou

• Newb
« on: <12-16-10/1421:47> »
         A rich looking M. Jonson with red eyes from crying is asking the PC shadowrunner to find his 11 years old girl who was kidnaped on her way home from school. Knight Erand police investigation is going to slow in his opinion. In average people kidnaped have 48h to be found or they may be gone forever or messed with so much that only the shadow of their former self is left. So runners are needed to go beyond what can be donne by knight erand.

Thats about the base for the first run I want to do as a shadowrun master. (of course after food fight to get used to the system) In fact let's start by taking a bit of time to describe my experience to get the best help possible) I have some experience DMing D&D 3.5 and my only experience in shadowrun before now is 2 games in third edition i belive (if it is not second) the master however was a veteran player. and their is some litel things i remeber from that experience... well enough to make me want to play that system again. things I remember is Seattle is the main seting environement their is rent a cop and gangs evrywere. I thought it was lone star that patroled Seattle (unlike what is sed in my SR4A book) and in the game I've played I herd of the holweeners witch are not mentioned in the core book. so that's about it for me.

Now I've seen Seen Seattle 2070 source book on battlecorp that i plan to get after chrismas but i want to start my game in that seting a bit sooner than that. well sure I can make up my own gangs and crime sindicate but I like consitency and just want to make sure that if I come up with something that it dosent coutradict what I plan to introduce later in the game.

Well to get a bit more insight in the game I want to make. Their is a little gang taking some expansion by playing in the big boy's turf witch is kidnaping yougsters to transform them in various sextoy's to suit their client's need. They dont make ransome demands witch tend to give them a bit more anonymity and less dealing with the otorities than otherwise. The Jonson is uppermid class and has is girl kidnaped but the story is a bit biger than that. It just hapend that the jonson know a bit about the kidnapers, why? Because he's a "leagale conection" for a crime syndicate that just hapend to be in the same busness as the gang and they want the place blown to bits. That's why he keeps info from the cops that he would gladly give the PC (but they dont have to konw that)

The gang that kidnaped the girl wouldn't be super organised or profesional like a crime syndicate except for a few members (that's to keep the game relatively simple for me and the players for witch it is prety much a first time)

But here is the catch I don't know witch gang to put against witch syndicate. For example I would'nt want to put, let's say, the rushian mafia against à japanes or ork gang just to find out later that the rushian actively act against such parctice or that the gang and the syndicate would rather act hand in hand. or many other thing that would create major inconcistency with the setting. I can do with minor inconcistency as doing somme minor modification to the setting doesn't pull me back but I'm not sure about major ones.

SO what shoud or shoudn't I do to make things go smoothly, and to get a good transition from a sourceless Seattle to a Seattle bakedup by source material.

An other question would be about payment of the PC. Sure the Jonson is willing to ruin himself to get is girl back and the syndicate may even provide a part of the payment but I don't want to provide the players with to much easy money right from the start and as a GM I would feel cheated by my own device. So How would you guys do it to migitate the paychek the runner's would get?

On a completly side note why can I find Seattle 2070 on battle corp but not on the shadowrun official website?

On an other note sorry for the English it is not my first language and my autocorector is et in french so I have litle ressources to corect myself.

Thank you for taking the time to dicus with me.
who need paracriter when criters are already deadly enough?

Liber Hazen

• Newb
  • Hacker
« Reply #1 on: <12-16-10/1822:35> »
I would suggest whatever you decide to do, be consistent. I have made mistakes and just don't worry about it unless the character notice. I ran a game in Chicago before the sourcebook came out. Just have fun with it.
SR1+SR2+SR4+BT

Carcajou

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-17-10/0100:56> »
I'll take the advice I'll just sccrap what dosen't fit with what I already have. I just don't want to buy something that i'll only regret later.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-21-10/0627:08> »
Battlecorps is where Catalyst Game Labs sell their own stuff.  There isn't a webstore on the SR4 website.

Lone Star lost the contract for Seattle in 2071 and it was taken over by Knight Errant thereafter.

You could also grab Runner Havens or Vice for info on Seattle in 2070 or organised crime generally.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Carcajou

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-21-10/2143:44> »
Thanks a lot again For enlighting me.
Battlecorps is where Catalyst Game Labs sell their own stuff.  There isn't a webstore on the SR4 website.

What I ment was that I can't see the book listed or advertised anywhere on the SR4 website. I didn't mean that I want'ed to buy it directly from the website. I mean isn't it just logic to at least talk about your products on your own website?

But thank's again I know what will be my bed time reading during Chrismas vacations.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <12-21-10/2335:31> »
Thanks a lot again For enlighting me.
Battlecorps is where Catalyst Game Labs sell their own stuff.  There isn't a webstore on the SR4 website.

What I ment was that I can't see the book listed or advertised anywhere on the SR4 website. I didn't mean that I want'ed to buy it directly from the website. I mean isn't it just logic to at least talk about your products on your own website?

But thank's again I know what will be my bed time reading during Chrismas vacations.
The "front page" of the Shadowrun website only shows the last few blog posts where Jason will post tidbits, announcements and other "goings-on" with the game. If it's been a while since a product's been released, chances are the blogs about that product are in the "Previous Entries" section available at the bottom of the page.

You can also check the Books tab on the menu to see a list of all the 4th Edition products available and coming soon. (Although I just noticed that it may not be up to date. Um... Hey Jason-boss! ;))