NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #780 on: <01-08-15/1838:43> »
i have HORRIBLE luck with exploding 6's.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #781 on: <01-08-15/1904:32> »
Can Doc help out with the teamwork at all, he may actually have intimidate, but worth a shot.
Edit File hostage video edit (Log 9 + Comp 5 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 15): 15d6t5 2

Wow, Orokos is getting back at us for something!  Dunno what multiple hits do for me, but all I'm trying to do is blur the faces and voices for any of our team in the frame, which should only be Ace and Ohanzee.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #782 on: <01-08-15/1905:41> »
The math on exploding sixes is tricky. Basically, short of having 18 dice to roll, exploding sixes aren't likely to get you much (one 6 rolled per 6 dice, 1/3 of which will result in an additional hit). Rerolling failures is usually the better bet. In short, an average exploding sixes will get you one extra hit per 18 dice (adding your Edge to the roll is useful if you have a high edge at one extra hit per 3 Edge).

So, in this case with your 4 Edge, you are looking at, rounding to nearest, 2 extra hits (one from the Edge dice, one from exploding sixes). Rerolling on 9 dice is also two extra hits (from the average 6 misses on 9 dice), so it's largely a wash.

I didn't realize that your Intimidate was so low, only allowing you to use one hit from teamwork. We might have had better luck with one of the other Intimidators. Both Sam and Kat have the same dice pool, but can use more dice from a teamwork test due to their higher Intimidate skill. Oddly, we have no idea what Chino's Cha and Intimidate are. But, nothing will save you from a poor roll - ask Ohanzee.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #783 on: <01-08-15/1910:35> »
I thought Ace's intimidation was higher as well until I went to roll. :(

I'm going to guess that Nately's intimidation is rather low, and he should be facing some penalties as well, so with average CHA, we might scrape by.
« Last Edit: <01-08-15/1912:48> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #784 on: <01-08-15/1920:31> »
Chino has Intimidation 0.

As a rule of thumb, multiply your Edge dice pool by 18/7. This gives you the cutoff point between where you should add your Edge pre-roll (lower) or use it to reroll non-hits (higher).

For example, Ace's Edge is 4, multiplied by 18, divided by 7 = 10.28. Thus Ace should be adding Edge pre-roll for dicepools of 10 or less (as he did) or using it to reroll failures for dicepools of 11 or more. So rednblack did the right thing mathematically but was unlucky.

Per the Errata, Intimidation is resisted by Willpower+Charisma, so basically composure. That said, I rolled the wrong pool first there will be two rolls below.

Let's see how young Nately's composure holds up: 2 hits + 1 hit = 3 hits

Doc doesn't have any problem editing the video feed.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #785 on: <01-08-15/1928:32> »
2 questions.

1. Even if not intimidated, junior might still think that doing as told is the smartest bet, correct?

2. Should Ace follow through on his threats, are we allowed another roll with the causing pain modifier -- I know my phrasing is off but I'm AFB. I believe that's meant to be the NPC in question, but I could see it applying for family/romantic partners/etc. I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Then again, maybe the dice reflect that junior is a cold-blooded prick who's been waiting for the old man to bite it r years so he can step to the helm.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #786 on: <01-08-15/1955:32> »
I'm not going to lie, I hate Push the Limit with Edge. It's so unlikely, in my experience, that it gets you that many extra hits that it's almost not worth it.

And yes, the mysterious Chino. Who knows how charismatic he is? He slyly avoids all social checks.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #787 on: <01-08-15/2012:26> »
Push the Limit has its place. It's useful for when your limit is very low (which is less common), or when your base dice pool is low but you have a fat wad of Edge you can add to it.

Say that you're Doc and you want to make a Stealth roll. His Agility is clumsy (2), his skill level is amatuer (1), and so his overall odds are mush, but adding in Edge (7) pre-roll and everything changes. Keeps the odds of glitching down too.

8-bit

« Reply #788 on: <01-08-15/2014:00> »
True, it has its place. And it allows for some amazingly lucky rolls. It's just that going with the "average" (since no one rolls average) in math, it usually doesn't do that much.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #789 on: <01-08-15/2021:25> »
Does doc have any intimidate to help out with team work or is it too late for that?

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #790 on: <01-08-15/2055:37> »
Ace could only use one hit from teamwork, so even though my roll sucked, one of my hits had to go to waste. Also, from IC it looks like he's already called, so there is no point in continuing the charade.

We need to get somewhere where we can take the RV offline without being conspicuous. I'm hoping the side roads will work for that. If our Matrix visitor isn't PCC, we'd like to avoid getting them involved.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #791 on: <01-08-15/2124:40> »
Mal has it. OOCly, Junior had already called, so even if the Intimidation had succeeded all it would have done was make him feel bad about himself. If Ace had really broken him over his knee then maybe he would have begged and pleaded for security to back off, but that didn't happen.

Doc may want to pay attention to the silent device. Initiative: 21

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #792 on: <01-08-15/2237:24> »
Ouch, not even enough time to get into VR :(  At least I already set my deck up for this!
Initiative 7+1d6: 1d6+7 11 At least I'll get two passes.  Here's my first one.

CR1 IP1:
Free Action - Say: Matrix Alert!
Simple Action - Send Message: <<<@Agent [Doc] Identify Icon!>>> (Want it to get as much info on the icon as it can for me)
Simple Action - Switch Interface Mode: VR

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #793 on: <01-09-15/0037:20> »
Initiative: 7+2d6 17

Ace won't know anything's up until 11, so first pass is talking to little Nately.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #794 on: <01-09-15/0157:41> »
Initiative: 1d6+7 12
Same as Ace - gotta wait for the news at 11.

Register