NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1860 on: <04-17-15/1835:46> »
Maybe just drop the bags into the biohazard waste receptacle a few minutes before a collection? Unless they scan RFIDs on outgoing waste...

In a high tech world where vampires are real, i imagine MY hostiptal damn sure would.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1861 on: <04-18-15/1541:08> »
I had a busy week at work this week and next week will likely be the same. My coworker is on vacation in China so I'm covering for her while she's out, so I'm twice as busy as usual. My posting might be more clustered than it usually is. I know we don't usually post on the weekends but if anyone is around then I'll do my best to reciprocate so that we can keep some forward momentum.

@Zweiblumen, let me know if you have a different interpretation of the scenario than what I've offered. You're more than welcome to continue the hack or to take a different approach.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1862 on: <04-18-15/2122:22> »
I'd argue that since the req is still being put in by a legitimate user that it wouldn't look wrong to an automated audit.  Though since I've set off alarms, they may just wipe everything from 5 min before to 5 min after the alert.  Probably what I'd do.  Or put them all on hold to be audited.

Yeah, I'd call this a failed attempt.  IMHO there's no way to brute force this.  I'd vote trying again tomorrow.  So staying close enough that we can make it back without too much effort.  IIRC we've about 6 days of blood between the 5 of us that Kat can use until we get more.

Given that, yeah, he's going to make another hasty retreat.  Need any rolls for that?
That said, jumping out and rebooting of course.

Then Doc will do a search for a list of sources for blood in the area.  Blood banks, hospitals, urgent care facilities, and the such.  Don't want to go after any Doc Wagon or the like.

Deck Configuration:
A: 4 S: 5 D: 7 (8 ) F: 6 (7)
Agent; Toolbox; Browse; Encryption
Matrix Search (Log 9 +  Comp 5 + VR 2 = 16): 16d6t5 7 Well, that probably worked ;)
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1863 on: <04-20-15/0119:30> »
No, no need to roll for a retreat.

Jumping off and rebooting, done.

Results of the search:

The small communities of the area all share a single Bloodmobile, which is run by the Bear Doctor Society. It is based out of Grand Junction. It services all of the following communities and their medical facilities. The Level refers to the level of the trauma center, with IV being the highest. Clinics are generally small (~25 beds) while hospitals are larger (75+ beds). The distance from your current location is provided.

Aspen - 1 clinic, Level III, 60km south
Defiance - 1 hospital, Level III, 1km north
Frisco - 1 clinic, Level III, 140km east
Grand Junction - 3 hospitals/clinics, Levels II - IV, 130km west
Rifle - 1 clinic, Level IV (small but potent), 45km west
Vail - 1 hospital, Level III, 100km east

Go ahead and IC post as you see fit.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1864 on: <04-20-15/1305:32> »
I'll get a post up this afternoon IC.
I don't want to hold the story up, so lets make a decision on where to camp.  Doc will give all of this information IC this afternoon, so feel free to act upon it.

What's going on with Zweiblumen the next 6 weeks:
I've got a new guy starting on our team on April 27th, I'm leaving for Russia on April 29th and get back on May 11th.
Also, I'm starting a new job sometime between the May 12th and June 1st.

This is the only PbP that seems to be doing anything anymore, so I should be able to keep a decent amount of posting going on, but want you guys to know why I may be a little absent.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1865 on: <04-20-15/1511:14> »
I know we've had a bit of a lull due to the site's performance issues (which, knock on wood, seem to have subsided for the moment) and the Matrix-only portion. 8-bit seems to be on hiatus too. Generally I leave the final decision of where to go up to him since he's the one driving, but that approach obviously doesn't work in this case. I'll reach out to him to see if he's alive or if he finally Awakened.

Thanks for the head's up about your travel. I'm still covering for coworker on vacation, plus I'll be out of the office on Friday, so my posting might be more clustered around lunchtime and/or the end of the workday. After this week I am hoping for the rest of April and May to be pretty normal.

IC, Katsina's not particular about where to camp. She's the only one without Outdoors/Survival, so she's not a good resource for winter camping. Her primary goal for the next day is to get an image of the obelisk using the quicksilver camera (which could even be done tonight, since it's not light-sensitive) and then to get that in the hands of the DIMR. She was thinking of driving and delivering it in person, but it's also possible to hire a courier. She just hasn't thought of that approach yet.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1866 on: <04-20-15/1629:36> »
On the assumption that lower level = lower security, Grand Junction seems the best bet to hit, but puts us farther from Denver, and it's a highly populous area, not conducive to our plan to get away from civilization. Heading back to Aspen is out, Defiance is already on high alert, so Frisco or Vail seems the best bet, though they might be expecting us in that direction. Rifle is out due to it likely having great security if it is a level 4 clinic. If the assumption about level = security is wrong, then Rifle gets my vote. We should probably check it astrally and matrixly.

So, check Rifle and if it isn't any tougher than Defiance should have been, go there, otherwise start with Vail as we head east, camping either around there or Frisco id Vail ends up a bust.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1867 on: <04-20-15/1902:19> »
Recon isn't likely to fail, so here's the high-level view that you can get with little risk:

Vail and Frisco are both ski-resort towns, much like Aspen. Security there is tight, like in Aspen, due to an above-average number of VIPs, AAA corporate citizens, and other vacationing dignitaries. Host rating 6, Firewall rating 9, and plenty of SecForce in the meatspace.

Grand Junction has multiple targets. The Level II clinic is the least-defended, with a Host Rating of 4 and a Firewall rating of 7. The shaman there is less capable, and there's only one spirit on patrol. It only has rent-a-cops on duty, with SecForce on call via PanicButton. The other two places in Grand Junction are more similar in security to the hospital where you are now.

Rifle is an interesting situation. It's more like a community clinic that happens to have a Level IV trauma center attached. Most of what the clinic does is outpatient work, so it only has 25 beds. But they have a helicopter landing pad and doctors, nurses, and shamans staffed around-the-clock. Security-wise, it's a smaller clinic than Defiance, so there are fewer security personnel and only one spirit on patrol instead of two. The town is slightly smaller (population 9,200) than Defiance. There is quite a bit of ranching in the area. Local residents are known for their habits of carrying rifles and/or large handguns with them at all times to deal with poachers, predators, and other varmits, so mind the locals.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1868 on: <04-21-15/1957:22> »
Posts, posts, feed me posts. Delicious, nutritious IC and OOC posts!

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1869 on: <04-21-15/2040:57> »
I'm not sure sam is aware we've given up on the idea of a smash n grab.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1870 on: <04-21-15/2045:21> »
I'm hoping Zweiblumen's IC post will confirm that. In the meantime, feel free to comment on reckon results or camping prospects.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1871 on: <04-21-15/2049:48> »
Rifle is an interesting situation. It's more like a community clinic that happens to have a Level IV trauma center attached. Most of what the clinic does is outpatient work, so it only has 25 beds. But they have a helicopter landing pad and doctors, nurses, and shamans staffed around-the-clock. Security-wise, it's a smaller clinic than Defiance, so there are fewer security personnel and only one spirit on patrol instead of two. The town is slightly smaller (population 9,200) than Defiance. There is quite a bit of ranching in the area. Local residents are known for their habits of carrying rifles and/or large handguns with them at all times to deal with poachers, predators, and other varmits, so mind the locals.

Ace doesn't have any of his directional sense coming back to him, so he's in no position to start this conversation, but OOC I like the sound of Rifle.  I'd prefer to get a little outside the grazing territory, so maybe we can go a little NE and find a spot near Sleepy Cat Peak?  It couldn't be named for any paracritters, right?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sleepy+Cat+Peak,+Colorado+81641/@40.1267665,-107.5266176,4146m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8743c4fbef83c47b:0xe71407d0db983fce

Anyway, the mountain ranges around that area are wooded enough that we won't be running into any ranchers, and the the peaks are far enough apart that we should be able to keep an eye on all approaches.

ETA: those peaks are about 125 km from Rifle proper.  If our cover is corp team-building trip, we have an excuse for a couple less-corp looking "guides" as well as the firepower we'll be packing. 
« Last Edit: <04-21-15/2055:40> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1872 on: <04-21-15/2128:07> »
Sam will be firmly against Rifle once it comes up. Too high a possibility for un-needed deaths.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1873 on: <04-23-15/1452:24> »
Here's a State of the Game report. Also, happy 8-month anniversary to the game.

8-bit has been missing for a couple weeks now. I PM'd him a few days ago but haven't received a response, so at this point I'm considering the options.

1) NPC Chino. I would prefer not to do this since I already have Katsina as an NPC.
2) Find a new player to take control of Chino. This is problematic for a couple reasons. First, finding a good candidate. Second, there's obviously a lot of back story that the player would have to catch up on.
3) Have one of the current players control two PCs.

Option #3 is my preference for now, if anyone is interested. First, you all know the story arc and what's happened to date. Second, it gives us some flexibility to have 8-bit resume control should he return with a plausible excuse about being kidnapped by the Vory. Third, we're entering what could be the final phase of the game and I don't want to recruit someone and spend a lot of time getting them up to speed only to have the game to conclude shortly thereafter.

Before he left, Ryo told me, "I never really intended Tabula Rasa to be particularly long. ... Part of the intrigue for me was to see whether the players would stay true to their past selves and turn on each other, or if they would embrace their new identities as allies."

Getting rid of the obelisk and surviving to tell the tale is the finish line I have in mind. Given that you have a plan for this, it could happen relatively quickly. (By which I mean a couple months of real-life time.) As such, I'd prefer not to add a new player just for the final 20%.

If anyone is interested in picking up Chino, you would not be under any obligation to mimic 8-bit's RP or playstyle. As you have correctly concluded, your PCs are affected (to various degrees) with CFD. As such, changes in personality or behavior would be quite IC.

Let me know if anyone is game, or if you have other thoughts to add.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1874 on: <04-23-15/1625:04> »
I'd normally volunteer for taking over chino, but I'm swamped at the moment and having trouble keeping up with just Doc.

I'm looking forward to seeing this to the conclusion as all of the other games I'm in have fallen apart (sorry PD, I'm still around for that game if it ever picks up again!).

Register