NEWS

Matrix actions and Electronic Warfare specializations

• 6 Replies

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <09-16-14/1617:20> »
The Electronics Warfare skills has four specializations - Communications, Encryption, Jamming, Sensor Operations.  I'm trying to figure out which Matrix actions fall under each specialization.  For reference, here are the Matrix actions that use EW (with associated dice pools):

* Check Overwatch Score - Electronic Warfare + Logic [Sleaze]
* Control Device - Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze]
* Hide - Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze]
* Jam Signals - Electronic Warfare + Logic [Attack]
* Jump Into Rigged Device - Electronic Warfare + Logic [Data Processing]
* Snoop - Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze]

Jam Signals seems pretty obvious (Jamming).  The others are a bit less clear.  Is there anything in the book that I'm missing about which specialty maps to which action?

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-14/1804:56> »
I would think most fall under encryption if they are matrix actions.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <09-16-14/1841:44> »
Good question.  I'd be on the lookout for expanded actions in Data Trails, like counter-jamming and such.  But, with that in mind, here's my take:

* Check Overwatch Score - Electronic Warfare + Logic [Sleaze]

Sensor Operations.

* Control Device - Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze]

Communications.

* Hide - Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze]

Encryption.

* Jam Signals - Electronic Warfare + Logic [Attack]

Jamming.  I like boysenberry.

* Jump Into Rigged Device - Electronic Warfare + Logic [Data Processing]

Communications.

* Snoop - Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze]

Sensor Operations.

Sensor Operations probably also would be used while using the Electronic Warfare skill in lieu of Perception when jumped into a device.  I'd also imagine that we'll see the ability to encrypt communications in real-time, which would almost certainly use the Electronic Warfare skill with the Encryption specialization.  And I would imagine we'll see the counter-jamming utilization of Electronic Warfare (communication) when we get Data Trails.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-20-14/1401:58> »
I think my interpretation differs only in the role of Sensor Operations.  To me, that's less of a pure Matrix action and more something you do when working through a device.  So, I'd put Jump Into Rigged Device under Sensor Operations, Check Overwatch Score under Communications*, and Snoop under Encryption.  But, I could see it be interpreted your way just as easily.

* I was originally thinking Encryption, but if Baby Monitor can track it without a test, then it doesn't seem to be something requiring a lot of decoding.

8-bit

« Reply #4 on: <09-20-14/1404:49> »
I think my interpretation differs only in the role of Sensor Operations.  To me, that's less of a pure Matrix action and more something you do when working through a device.  So, I'd put Jump Into Rigged Device under Sensor Operations, Check Overwatch Score under Communications*, and Snoop under Encryption.  But, I could see it be interpreted your way just as easily.

* I was originally thinking Encryption, but if Baby Monitor can track it without a test, then it doesn't seem to be something requiring a lot of decoding.

I would argue it is Encryption, because it's a complicated algorithm you have to break. Baby monitor simply steals the algorithm from GOD and does the calculations for you; it's not like the encryption would be constantly changing as that would be horribly inconvenient for GODs and demiGODs. Baby monitor is basically a decryption key to use.

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <02-09-18/0405:35> »
Was there ever any kind of official word on this? Now there's even more EW actions to muddle this up with.

Assuming that answer is no, my guess is:

Communications:
-  Check Overwatch (+Logic [Sleaze])
-  Confuse Pilot (+Logic [Atk])
-  Control Device (+Intuition [Sleaze])
-  Jump Into Rigged Device (+Logic [Data Proc])
   -  Suppress Noise (+Logic [Data Proc])   ?
   -  Target Device (Logic [Data Proc])   ? ... it shares the data across your PAN after all... ?

Encryption:
-  Hide (+Intuition [Sleaze])
   -  Snoop (+Intuition [Sleaze])  ?

Jamming:
-  Break Target Lock (Intuition [Data Proc])
-  Jam Signals (+Logic [Atk])

Sensor Operations:
-  Detect Target Lock (+Logic [Data Proc])
-  Snoop (+Intuition [Sleaze])
-  Suppress Noise (+Logic [Data Proc])
-  Target Device (Logic [Data Proc])

. . .
Would it be ok to file the same action under multiple specializations? (while only counting it once in any dicepool, of course)
« Last Edit: <02-09-18/0407:25> by HP15BS »
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <02-09-18/1134:49> »
Also, don't forget that the Sensor Operations specialization would apply whenever you're using Electronic Warfare instead of Perception through a Sensor Array (core rulebook, page 445).

This isn't really the kind of thing I expect there could be errata about, as specializations are kind of freeform and it's really up to the GM what they'd apply to.  An errata change would most likely just alter the examples to be something easier to work with.

Also yes, it's possible for one action to be valid for multiple specializations, you just can't ever apply the bonus from specialization more than once to the same test.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.