NEWS

Massive multi-team 5th ed PbP Runner discussion thread.

• 155 Replies

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #60 on: <08-11-14/1009:41> »
I had some unused karma, so I bought a point of etiquette. I also dropped astral beacon and prejudiced to pick up sensitive system. I think its more fitting for a character who is magically inferior to most other sorcerers and all other conjurers/enchanters. Grabbed a few more pieces of gear to trick out his lined coat capacity.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ODJXibwGUuSFZpX0dQQ3FweVE/edit?usp=sharing

An updated link. The old one will still work if you want to compare differences.

Edit: I wasn't keeping up so much with this post. Sorry :p. We're going to be in New Orleans? If so that works well. I imagine there's as much if not more magic going on there :D. Vodou!! Ill just change my stories to reflect that. Also, I realized Chicago was Bug City not Denver. Derp derp. That means New Orleans makes more sense geographically for him too.

Here's the New Orleans link. Its the same just edited for New Orleans instead of Seattle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ODJXibwGUubXB1ZVFkY0pwdEk/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: <08-11-14/1245:01> by Koshnek »
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #61 on: <08-11-14/1223:16> »
Where are ya'll at?
Do ya want any help or any discussion?
Where to start? As I said, 'ex-corper troll socialite' is the idea in broad terms, and I've been playing around with a (modified) version of ZeldaBravo's build here. (planning on posting that when I'm happy with it, or close to)

As far as background goes; I'm looking at a former PR role in one of the more meta-friendly megas, reasons to bring that to a close, (from either end) and what happened afterwards. Still fairly vague, tbh - time-frames have been mentioned, so I haven't been prioritising the details as much as I might.

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #62 on: <08-11-14/1250:12> »
Can magic be used to permanently alter someone's memory? I was under the impression that effects of spells that aren't permanent fade after the spell is no longer sustained. Control Thoughts then wouldn't erase or create new memories, right? If memories can be magically altered (or even only erased) then that'd more sense for my story and background and also one of my contacts.

Edit: I imagine something like this for my ballistic mask: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FTgkQBPfM Except that it's white, and it has respirator and gas mask functions. I don't know the mechanics behind the two, but it seemed reasonable to me that when a switch is flipped, the respirator is closed off and the internal air kicks in.
« Last Edit: <08-11-14/1306:44> by Koshnek »
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

martinchaen

« Reply #63 on: <08-11-14/1310:56> »
Koshnek
Nice choice of Ballistic Mask, that's my go-to too :)

You can't combine a gas mask and a respirator by RAW, though.
Quote from: SR5 p449
Gas mask:
This air-supplied re-breather completely covers your face and gives you immunity to inhalation-vector toxin attacks (Toxins, Drugs, and BTLs, p. 408). It comes with a one-hour clean-air supply (replacements cost 40 nuyen) and can be attached to larger air tanks. It cannot be combined with a regular respirator.

eximius

• Newb
« Reply #64 on: <08-11-14/1317:22> »
Can magic be used to permanently alter someone's memory? I was under the impression that effects of spells that aren't permanent fade after the spell is no longer sustained. Control Thoughts then wouldn't erase or create new memories, right? If memories can be magically altered (or even only erased) then that'd more sense for my story and background and also one of my contacts.

Alter Memory was its own spell in 4e IIRC. Control Thoughts and spells like that can certainly be used to make the memory in the present how you want, as long as they don't notice they were being mind controlled (low-force and no evidence), the memory should stick.

One of my favorite custom spells was Mind Freeze - they just freeze in place, including their thoughts. When I drop the sustaining (or they overcome it, as normal for mind manipulation spells), it's as if nothing ever happened to them. The only reason they'd notice is if they notice a 'jitter' in reality when they come to.

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #65 on: <08-11-14/1322:12> »
I get what you're saying about the two being unable to be combined. However, that rule was printed before R&G. It was intended to prevent people from wearing a gas mask on top of a respirator :p.

This ballistic mask has a respirator and a gas mask intuitively integrated into its design costing capacity. It's three masks combined into one. Also, if you take the rule a step farther meaning that you can't combine the effects of the two then I'm definitely not breaking that rule. The mask defaults to a respirator state, and the gas mask function has to be manually activated which closes off the respirator filters to insure only internal oxygen is breathed. Edit: Respirators are (supposed) to be fit tested so that they can seal to your face [requiring a clean shave for optimal results]. So closing off the filters and activating the oxygen should be enough to have a functioning gas mask. I don't have any idea how actual gas masks work, however..

I'm not a rule writer or GM, however, so I guess it's not up to me, haha.
« Last Edit: <08-11-14/1327:28> by Koshnek »
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #66 on: <08-11-14/1336:04> »
Handle: Baby Hardcore

Metatype, sex, age: Human/M/19

Role: Gunslinging Adept

Brief concept/history:
Baby Hardcore's first memory is a group of bikers coming to his house to stand guard while his mom loaded him and his sister up to get the fuck out of dodge.  Three years later it was the same thing, only this time he knew they were called BACA -- Bikers Against Child Abuse -- and the guy put up a little bit more a fight, which didn't end well for him.  A few years after that, he called them himself his mom was all slotted out and hadn't bothered to do anything like laundry or cook for a few days.  They showed up, or whatever, but it's not like there was really a lot they could do, as it wasn't like they had a rich uncle they could go and live with or anything.  So, by fourteen Baby Hardcore took to the streets, and in no time he could squat with the trolls, steal with the street urchins, and take a beating from Lonestar like an Urban Brawl MVP.  He even got himself an adopted family.  There's Midge, an ork who he calls mom, and her girlfriend, Cassie, an elf he calls dad.  They got themselves a nice little spot.  Hell, it doesn't even when the rains hit. . .usually.

But, you don't really wanna hear any of that drek.  That's not the shit that got him in the shadows, and it's not the shit that people are gonna mention if you bring up Baby Hardcore.  You see, this kid, when he was all of seventeen-years-old, got into some of that voodoo, that nasty stuff, and just like Robert Johnson he walked himself to the crossroads, and he asked to be the best.  Jury's still out on whether Baby Hardcore got his end of the bargain -- and the truth is he most certainly didn't -- but one thing is indisputable.  He came back from that trip with a milky right eye.  It gives ya the creeps just to look at it.  And he was awakened after that, all right.  Kid started shooting straight, running fast, and I think we all know how that story's gonna end.  Shame really.  He's barrens street trash, for sure, but he didn't hafta go down that road. 

Appearance:

Baby Hardcore looks like a squatter through and through, with a mop-on-top mohawk, neo-anarchist patches on his clothes, and the kind of tattoos you get from a guy refurbishing some twentieth century tech -- what the hell was a Walkman?  His right eye is completely white, though he sees out of it just fine, thank you very much.  He's completely unaugmented, though he wears enough chains and spikes in his clothes to set any of the scanners on him like he's some cybered up troll street sam.  Still, he's got an innocent smile, a slight gap-tooth, and slightly crooked nose that makes some people just want to take care of him.  He's always treated those people like family.

Expected Frequency of posting:M-F: 1-2 times daily, with rare missed days.  SA-SU: 0
« Last Edit: <08-19-14/0803:12> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #67 on: <08-11-14/1400:26> »
This ballistic mask has a respirator and a gas mask intuitively integrated into its design costing capacity
What exactly does that mean to you? I'm not seeing anything that contradicts "cannot be combined".

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <08-11-14/1404:33> »
Shades is my fixer. He could be a group contact and so could my talismonger Hana Ryang. My landlord Joe could be a possible contact if you want him as your landlord and have a similar lifestyle to mine. I suppose Middle lifestyle and maybe one or two high lifestyles could be possible as long as they were all extra secure and hard to find. That could still reflect that we live in an appartment building. The High lifestyle or two would live on the top floor "penthouse," while the middle lifestyles would have the nicer rooms.

Connection 6
Shades is the cool cat. Nerves of steel, threads to match and his trade mark cool guy shades. He's well connected and good at his job. If we're playing in New Orleans he could totally have the Cajun dialect. He's smooth enough to drop the accent if hes talking to Mr. Johnson.

Connection 4
Hana Ryang is of Korean descent. She came to New Orleans from Japan in her teens. She would be a practitioner of Shinto, but with the prevalence of Vodou in New Orleans that is her target market. Hammer has done Hana some favors and she knows he's good for the money, so she keeps Christian goods around too. After all, its not like Christianity isn't prevalent in the western hemisphere. If you're in the market for Shinto, Vodou or Christian Theurgy reagents or materials, she would be able to help you out without much trouble. Maybe add the Hermetic tradition to the list? I assume its rather widespread too. I'll leave that one to the players/GM. She would be much less likely to have any materials on hand for other traditions, but she would be willing to get her hands on them for a fee. (I'm new to Magic...so if this isn't how talismongers work my bad :p).

Connection 3
Joe Miller runs an apartment complex. The place is hard to find and very secure, and the rooms tend to be spacious. In fact, Hammer has an alter set up in his apartment. (I imagine a Christian Theurgist's lodge would be something akin to an alter with a crucified Jesus on the wall behind it. Correct me if I'm wrong :-)). You'd be very hard pressed to find a low lifestyle of higher quality than what Joe has to offer. He knows the tennets but doesn't ask questions. The only thing he cares about is getting paid, on time. His contacts would include anyone involved with Security installment in addition to the standard contacts he would need to run a well kept apartment. (This low lifestyle costs Hammer almost as much as middle).

Connection 2
Chic is my final contact, and it wouldn't make sense for anyone else to know him. If you read his info and think he would fit your character we can get together and figure something out...

Edit: I have one more contact, Lisa, but no one else knows her. It's quite possible she's not even on the same continent as us.
« Last Edit: <08-11-14/1434:32> by Koshnek »
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #69 on: <08-11-14/1417:51> »
It seems to me that the rule was written to reinforce the fact that you can't wear two breathing apparatus at once because at the time the rules did not allow for headware with capacity for gear. Perhaps I'm wrong. I don't see why combining the functions of the two together is an issue. A respirator gives you rating (1-6) dice against inhalation vector toxins and a gas mask eliminates inhalation vector toxins for 1(X) (size of air supply) hour(s).

I don't see the conflict. Also, I will only be using one function at a time. However, if this won't be allowed I'll just remove one of the functions and trick it out some other way.

I'm not upset or anything, I just don't see why it wouldn't work. I like to know why's :-).
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

martinchaen

« Reply #70 on: <08-11-14/1425:02> »
Core rules have helmets that have capacity (three of them in fact; non-specific helmet accessory, Full Body Armor helmet, and Urban Explorer Jumpsuit helmet). The ballistic mask changes nothing as far as the core rule of not being able to combine a gas mask (which is a full-face mask) with a respirator (which is piece of equipment that only covers your mouth) is concerned.

Just letting you know that there is a specific rule in core that covers this very topic, and if you're going to be playing in a multi-part game where one of the goals of the GMs are to try to enforce as few houserules as possible, you probably want to err on the side of caution.

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #71 on: <08-11-14/1440:01> »
I suppose you're right. Also, trodes are listed in core with capacity cost too, so it's not like they weren't expecting to have helmet accessories soon. Now I just need to figure out whether I want a ballistic gas mask or ballistic respirator :p.

Edit: Dropped the respirator and picked up an olfactory sensor so that I know when I need to activate my gas mask. I also upped my vision enhancement by one point will upgrade it's vision enhancement post-chargen (15->17 availability). I had to ditch a couple pieces of gear to cover the cost, but nothing significant. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ODJXibwGUuZXhCYXh4eDlRNDA/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: <08-11-14/1505:12> by Koshnek »
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #72 on: <08-11-14/1446:36> »
I would like an official word on the whole memory altering question. Barring that, how about memory erasing? Hammer would never get any kind of memory altering or mind controlling magic because it doesn't fit his role or the organization he is in. In fact, it technically goes against the organization's principles. However, for his Hunter friend Chic it fits his role within the organization and makes a lot more sense. His role is the preservation of the organization and its anonymity. Without some way to magically erase (and preferably alter) memories the only option to permanently silence someone is to kill them...or imprison them until their death. Neither method is quite subtle. These guys take their anonymity seriously.
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

martinchaen

« Reply #73 on: <08-11-14/1521:16> »
I doubt you'll get an official answer anytime soon, I'm sorry to say.

Memory altering is tricky. Laes will do the job and even magic like Mind Probe can't retrieve memories. list to Laes if I remember correctly. In SR4 it was possible to erase and alter memories with PAB units (or some such, can't remember off the top of my head, somewhat ironically), but as far as I can remember there was no mind wipe or mind alter spell in 4th or 3rd.

Laes is probably going to be your best here as far as official sources go.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #74 on: <08-11-14/1644:49> »
I hope Run Faster comes out before we start this up to be honest, provided we'd be allowed to use it. Cause it would give a better collect of qualities (hopefully) for characters. 13 karma is exceedingly annoying to match up.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules