NEWS

5e PbP seeking runners (Closed)

• 33 Replies

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <07-29-14/0450:04> »
@rednblack Thank you. I was thinking some more about this guy before going to bed last night and I have a bit of a firmer grasp of where I'd like to take him.

Micheal is the younger of two sons by your average middle class shopkeepers, his parents' shop pays for protection from the mob/yakuza/vory and one day when their bagman came to collect Micheal was fiddling around with the insides of some commlinks trying to make a deck for himself. The bagman (haven't decided yet if he got promoted and is Micheal''s current contact or if it is simply someone higher up in the foodchain) was intrigued and got to talking to this weird kid, thinking there was some potential there he brought Micheal to his superior. Long story short Micheal was offered a scholarship of sorts, the syndicate would get him the needed education in the grayer areas of matrix technology in exchange for his services both during and after his education. Micheal's parents were less than pleased by this arrangement but he was insistent and they did not want to argue to much with the syndicate.

The syndicate however got an unexpected bonus when Micheal awakened to his adept powers, although not bursting with astral power Micheal took to second story work like a duck to water and his education was broadened to include sleight of hand, stealth and b&e. Micheal worked for the syndicate throughout his teenage years, doing small time stuff, mostly acting as a gopher until his tutors decided he was ready to go on real jobs.

That went fine for a few years, Micheal loved what he did and was always ready to stretch his talents a bit further, finding out just how far he could reach. Then came the night when it all went to shit, it was a bigger job than usual, half a dozen people who were breaking into an industrial park to get a prototype of some sort or another. Anyway, that run went all sorts of bad, we're talking rivers of blood kind of bad and it shook Micheal up something fierce. So he wanted out, thankfully he had some money put aside and goodwill from within the syndicate and managed to pay off his contract.

It cost him dearly and Micheal doesn't have the top tier gear he would like to work with, but he is ready to move forward, still trying to find out just how far he can go.

Just something I managed to cobble together this morning, I'll transfer his char sheet to the Character creation board when I get home from work tonight to see if the good people on here can find some errors or holes that might be patched.
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <07-29-14/0457:36> »
Horsemen
Loki is a conman and a street artist, so there might be a little bit of overlap but I'm sure we can build each other up.

My focus with Loki is on Con (specialization in Fast Talk), and some Negotiation, and more of a street specialty in terms of etiquette and knowledge skills than anything else. He's a loud, brash, in your face kind of character, and between illusion and manipulation magic and knowledge of card tricks and other street performance he's definitely an entertainer of sorts. He is the type of person who I think could work really well with someone a little more tempered, a little more experienced in what is proper behaviour; a counterweight to his youthful brashness.

Think you can come up with something that would fit? I'd be more than happy to have our characters have prior knowledge of each other, as con men or acquaintances from some interest or another. Loki has contacts in the nightclub scene, a prominent fixer, the ear of a Yakuza wakagashira, and feelers in the magical community. He definitely prefers the company of down to earth, real hard working people to the Corp born and the wealthy in their fancy clothes, though he does have aspirations of power for himself.

@Martin

I am certain I can work with you so we can compliment one another.  As a social engineer he will be focusing on Con (Fast Talk) as well but his etiquette and knowledge base will be focused elsewhere.  He will in some ways be almost a polar opposite, trying to not be noticed and blend into the background forgotten.  I'll be able to post more tomorrow after I play with the numbers as this is an entirely fresh character.

@rednblack Thank you sir.
« Last Edit: <07-29-14/1556:50> by Horsemen »
Agent #191 Catalyst Demo Team

martinchaen

« Reply #17 on: <07-29-14/0910:23> »
Horsemen
Nice!

Loki's primary skills are currently (with dice pools):
Con (Seduction) 4: 14 (+2) (additional +2 from First Impression)
Negotiation: (Bargaining) 2: 10 (12) (additional +2 from First Impression)
Spellcasting (Manipulation) 6: 14
Assensing (Aura Reading) 5: 12
Counterspelling 6: 12
Etiquette (Street) 1: 9 (11)
Impersonation 1: 9

The way I see it, Loki is the kind of guy you want on hand to cause a distraction; he's the front man on the street magic cons who gets people to stop by, and then proceeds to lift your commlink out of your pocket or that security badge off of your belt with a Magic Fingers spell while you're distracted watching his illusions and/or card tricks.

He definitely won't be used to high-end or luxury lifestyles, so any run into corp territory will be somewhat alien to him. I guess we'll see how he fares if that comes up :)

In terms of spells, I've picked Mind Probe and Mindnet, Extended from Detection spells to a) be able to extract information from unwilling targets and b) be able to keep in touch with people while astrally scouting (I hate having to go back to the body just to send a commlink message; with mindnet, one should be able to instantly relay what one is seeing to the others, and it has a decent range even at low force.

From Illusion I've picked Physical Mask and Trid Phantasm, so I can dazzle and distract with illusionary magic and disguise myself or other team mates.

From Manipulation I've picked Fling, Influence, Magic Fingers, Mob Mind, and Physical Barrier, in order to accomplish the following (in order):
1. Throw injection darts full of Narcojet or Rocuronium at unsuspecting guards with low Force Fling spells (hard to detect, hard to resist)
2. Even more effectively schmooze my way past guards and people whom I might want to forget me as soon as I pass by
3. Lift small items off of people, and/or manipulate objects that are further away
4. Take direct control of people and make them freeze in place, or drop to the ground, or run away if need be
GM's note on this: I will NOT be using Mob Mind to make enemies shoot themselves or each other; I know some people have issues with this, and I feel like there are better uses for this spell than suiciding the opponents. Plus, that's the kind of shit that earns one notoriety really fraggin' fast.
5. Physical Barriers may not be particularly bulletproof, but they can slow down a pursuing enemy as they have to destroy the barrier to get through. Piercing weapons have a tendency to just go right on through, which means the opponents are relegated to punching, kicking, or attacking the barrier with whatever melee weapons they may have to continue pursuit. One of those utility spells I find is undervalued, personally.

And finally, the single combat spell Loki has is, of course, Lightning Bolt. I considered something to do with Ice but there just aren't any interesting spells for that element (with the possible exception of Ice Sheet, hmmm...).
« Last Edit: <07-29-14/0929:25> by martinchaen »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #18 on: <07-29-14/1227:09> »
@martinchaen and @Horsemen, I think these two will compliment one another nicely.  It should be really interesting when they try to assist one another, like bad cop weird cop or something.  Also, Horsemen, feel free to put the finishing touches on your character sheet.  You two are good to go.  martinchaen, I'm fine with you using ice fluff for lightening bolt, if you'd like.  When it comes to mechanics, we'll still be using electricity damage, but if you'd like to color it as cold that's fine by me. 

@reyjinn, go ahead and get a character sheet up as well.  If you're ok with this, let's have Michael's ties be with the Yakuza and list Hiroko Matsumoto as one of your low-level contacts.  She's probably not you primary handler -- and she doesn't have the time for that kind of thing -- but it's possible she's taken an interest here and there.  In one of your meetings, it's quite possible that you met Loki so that he could get a sense of you and relate to her whether you would be a solid investment or not.

@Triskavanski, @Blazrath, @Elektrycerze3, I've got two spots before we get running, but I'd like to see character sheets from all three of you before I make my decision. 

@All, I'm thinking about Dallas as our location.  Anybody have any strong feelings about that one way or the other?
« Last Edit: <07-29-14/1304:52> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

martinchaen

« Reply #19 on: <07-29-14/1342:37> »
Hehe, "bad cop weird cop", that's awesome. I'll try not to take it too far, but if I fail that Composure roll, well, let's just say the sky's the limit :)

As for the lightning bolt, I'll get back to you on that. There's a new ice spell in Street Grimoire I haven't really looked at carefully, so I'll take another look at spell selection for combat spells.

As for Dallas, bring it on! I'm currently based in Houston, TX, and Dallas is a cool town, man. Loki would probably feel a little out of place there, but at least it ain't freezing cold!

Blazrath

• Chummer
  • I've yet to see a regular sword being hacked into.
« Reply #20 on: <07-29-14/1348:45> »
Priorities:
A: Attributes
B: Skills
C: Metatype (Human)
D: Resources
E: Magic

Marcus Castille
METATYPE: Human
B 5/6, A 6/6, R 4(6)/6, S 4/6, W 3/6, L 3/6, I 4/6, C 3/6, ESS 6, EDG 7, M 0

Condition Monitor (P/S): 11/ 10
Armor:
Limits: Physical 6, Mental 5, Social 5
Physical Initiative: 8+1d6

Active Skills: Athletics (5), Outdoors (1), Automatics (6)/ Machine Pistols+2, Blades (4)/ Knives+2, Sneaking (4), Unarmed Combat (5)/ +2 Subduing, Pilot Ground Craft (4)/ +2 Motorcycles, Etiquette (1), Intimidation (4), Armorer (1), Automotive Mechanic (1), First Aid (1), Perception (5)

Knowledge Skills: CAS Military Procedure (2), Combat Biking (1), Dining Etiquette (1), Catholicism (2), Voodoo (1)
Languages: English N, French (4), Sioux (2). Latin (1)

Metatype Abilities: None
Positive Qualities: Ambidexterous, Guts, Toughness
Negative Qualities: Distinctive Style (Deep Southern Accent), Sinner (Criminal), Bad Rep

Vehicles:
. . Harley-Davidson Scorpion [Handling 4/3, Speed 3/4, Accel 2, Body 8, Armor 9, Pilot 1, Sensor 2, Seats 1]

Gear:
. . Hermes Ikon
. . Glasses (Flare, Image, Lowlight, Vis-Enhance-1)
. . Helmet (Smartlink)
. . Kit (Armorer and Automobile Mechanic)
. . Lined Coat (Duster)
. . Clothes (3 x 100)
. . Credstick (Standard)
. . Sub-vocal Mic

Cyberware:
. . Cyberlimb [Left Hand] (Armor 2, Fingertip Compartment) Had to change to two as three would of been unavailable at character creation.
    Used
. . Reaction Enhancers [+2]
    Used

Weapons:
. . Combat Knife [Blade, Acc 6, (Str+2)P, AP -3]
. . Boot Knife [Blade, Acc 5, (Str+1), AP -1]
. . Survival Knife [Blade, Acc 5, (Str+1), AP -1]
. . Shock Gloves [Other, Acc Physical, 8S(e), AP -5]
. . Ares Crusader II [MP, Acc 5/7, 7P, AP 0, SA/BF, RC 2, Ammo 40] (Silencer, Sling)
    Ammo: 2 Full Clips
. . AK 97 [Assault, Acc 5/7, 10P, AP -2, SA/BF/FA, RC 3, Ammo 38] (Gas Vent 3, Folding Stock, External Smartlink)
    Ammo: 3 Full Clips

Contacts:
Retired Decker: Connection 2, Loyalty 4
Smuggler: Connection 3, Loyalty 1

Resources:
Fake SIN (Legal Activity) Rating 4
Life Style Squatter (1 month): Drifter

Starting Money: 1120+2d6 + 60

Dallas is going to probably be a fun choice.
Talking Aloud Thoughts Matrix Astral E-Mails/"Sub-Vocal"

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-29-14/1359:49> »
Hmm.. I'll have to get back to this later today, as we're already pretty heavy on magic.

So I might be trying to make a decker here then in a little while.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <07-29-14/1402:58> »
Sweet. I'll get up a character sheet once I get home from work. It is mostly done but I need to move around some nuyen and hopefully free up a bit of karma to throw at contacts.
The yakuza wasn't my first choice (mostly because I have trouble seeing them letting Michael buy out his contract) but I really like the possibility of tieing in with Martin's backstory.
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #23 on: <07-29-14/1425:47> »
@All, I'm thinking about Dallas as our location.  Anybody have any strong feelings about that one way or the other?

I know most of the DFW area like the back of my hand, so this will be perfect.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #24 on: <07-29-14/1617:24> »
@reyjinn, don't feel obligated to go with the Yakuza.  The mafia really runs things in DFW and they would make a lot of sense.  The yak are business(wo)men, though, and Matsumoto sounds like a sharp one.  It may be worth it for them to overlook their own prejudices if they think they can get someone in the shadows who might keep them informed and doesn't appear to be affiliated.  Seriously, though, however you want to play it is fine by me.

Dallas it is. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <07-29-14/1923:51> »
The Yakuza really work just as well from my point of view, I had just gotten a certain image into my head but that can be adjusted. I know NOTHING about Dallas but that would have been true about ~99% of the places where this game could have taken place :)
Anyway here goes nothing, comments and critique would be very welcome. I ended up putting some more points in his Unarmed but I might very well scale that back down a bit.

Michael Irving
Short description: A short and slender human of indeterminate ethnicity.

Street Cred   0
Notoriety       0
Publicity        0

#Priorities#
Metatype      E Human (1)
Attributes     B 20
Magic/Res   D Adept (2 Mag)
Skills            A 46/10
Resources  C 140,000 (+18,000 (9 Karma))

#Attributes#
Bod   3       [+2]
Agi    4        [+3]
Rea  3        [+2]
Str     2        [+1] (+1 Karma)
Wil    4        [+3]
Log   5        [+4]
Int     5        [+4]
Cha  3        [+2]

Edge 3       [+1]
Mag   2
Ess   6
Init     8+1d6

Limits:
Phys 4(5) (+1 Increase Limit adept power)
Men  7
Soc   6

Physical boxes: 10
Stun boxes:        10

#Qualities#
(+10 Karma) Allergy; Uncommon, Moderate: Not decided on what yet, don't want it to be something cheesy like silver/gold. Things I've considered so far, Bees(which should be uncommon), Latex, Semen (I just want the GM to find ways of integrating this into the game)
(+15 Karma) Code of Honor: Will not use lethal force. Micheal has been unwilling to use lethal force since that fateful night when the run he was on went all sorts of bad.
(-7 Karma) Natural Athlete
(-7 Karma) Catlike
(-10 Karma) Codeslinger: Hack-on-the-fly

#Skills#
-Active-
Athletics group                    4
Cracking group                   6

Computer (Matrix perception) 6(8 )
Con                                         2
Cybercombat                        6(gr)
Elec. warfare                         6(gr)
Etiquette (Yakuza)                2(4)
Gymnastics                          6(gr) (+2 Natural athlete)
Hacking                                 6(gr)
Hardware                              3
Lockpicking                          6
Palming                                 5
Perception                             5
Pistols (Light)                       1(3)
Running                                 6(gr) (+2 Natural athlete)
Sneaking                               8 (+2 Catlike)
Software (Databombs)       1(3)
Swimming                             4(gr)
Unarmed                               5

-Knowledge-
*Language*
English (N)
Japanese                          2
Aztlan Spanish                 1

*Street*
Dallas/Forth Worth area        3
Dallas/Forth Worth corps      2
Dallas/Forth Worth hackers  2

*Professional*
Matrix security                          4
Meatspace security                 3
Astral security                          1

*Academic*
Host design                            1
Magical theory                        1

#Adept powers#
Nerve strike (1 pp)
Att boost:Agi R1 (0,25 pp)
Hang time R1 (0,25 pp)
Increased potential: Physical (0,5 pp)

#Resources#
Lifestyle
       Low, Cramped 1,800 NY (1 month pre-paid)
Fake R3 SIN (7,500 NY)
       Martin Wilson, R3, VCU Matrix Security.
Fake Licences (1,800 NY)
       R3 Guns
       R3 Concealed carry
       R3 Awakened

Weapons
       Colt America L36, 60x SnShock (800 NY)
       Shock gloves (550 NY)

Armor
       Chameleon suit [R5 ThermalDamp, R4 Non-conductive] (5,200 NY)

Street gear
       Hermes Ikon, (3000 NY)
       Subvocal mic, AR gloves, Trodes (270 NY)
       AR gloves, Trodes (220 NY) [In Chameleon suit]
       Credstick Silver, Gold (120 NY)
       Respirator R6 (300 NY)
       Tag eraser (450 NY)
       Bug Scanner R5 (500 NY)
       Datatap (300 NY)
       Stealth tags x5 (50 NY)
       Maglock passkey R3 (6,000 NY)
       Keycard copier R5 (3,000 NY)
       Sequencer R3 (750 NY)
       Lockpick set (250 NY)
       Gecko gloves (250 NY)
       Plastic restraints x100 (50 NY)
       Common programs x4 (320 NY)
       Hacker programs x6 (1,500 NY)

Cyberdeck
       Hermes Chariot [5442] (123,000 NY)

#Contacts#
*Infobroker, C5 L2
*Yakuza bagman, C2 L3 (3 Karma)
*Talismonger, C1 L1 (2 Karma)
*Hiroko Matsumoto, C1 L1 (2 Karma)

Unspent karma: 0   Unspent Nuyen: 20 NY
Starting Nuyen: 3d6*60

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #26 on: <07-29-14/2218:20> »
#Qualities#
(+10 Karma) Allergy; Uncommon, Moderate: Not decided on what yet, don't want it to be something cheesy like silver/gold. Things I've considered so far, Bees(which should be uncommon), Latex, Semen (I just want the GM to find ways of integrating this into the game)

I'd be sure to tip the cook and avoid ogling the waitress if I were you.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #27 on: <07-29-14/2309:51> »
@All, that's our five.  Anyone who has expressed an interest so far but hasn't submitted a character sheet will be listed as alternates should they want it. 

OOC thread is here: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17546.0

I'm going to finish up a couple loose threads on my end, give each of the sheets and bios a good solid look, and my hope is that I'll be ready to get started by Friday.  If anyone needs a little more time than that, no worries.

What dice rollers does everyone like?  I've never done Shadowrun PbP, so I'm mostly familiar with invisible castle and brainclouds for my games. 

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

martinchaen

« Reply #28 on: <07-29-14/2327:53> »
I usually prefer orokos.com as it lets me track my history nicely, but I've used invisiblecastle in the past and I'm good either way.
For examples of orokos usage: http://orokos.com/roll/m-martinchaen

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #29 on: <07-30-14/0157:19> »
I usually prefer orokos.com as it lets me track my history nicely, but I've used invisiblecastle in the past and I'm good either way.
For examples of orokos usage: http://orokos.com/roll/m-martinchaen

seconded.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english