NEWS

Easily missed rules and more

• 295 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #60 on: <05-18-14/0138:10> »
Couldn't you use free fall to land on a softer surface than the pile of bricks nearby?

That's an interesting point.  I think it would have to be ruled on a case-by-case basis.  If you've got time to allow your body to glide on the wind and such, then sure.  If not...  splat.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #61 on: <05-18-14/0145:03> »
This brings up an interesting question...

Can you use grapple rules while falling to position something, such as the dwarf teammate who got you into this mess, that is falling with you so you can have a soft landing?
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #62 on: <05-18-14/0149:59> »
Can you use grapple rules while falling to position something, such as the dwarf teammate who got you into this mess, that is falling with you so you can have a soft landing?

Can you define the situation a bit more specifically?  Are you saying that while falling you want to shoot a grapple gun at the dwarf friend that got you in this mess?  Or do you mean that while falling in tandem, you want to position yourself so that you and the concrete are the bread, and the dwarf is the meat?

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <05-18-14/0200:15> »

Can you define the situation a bit more specifically?  Are you saying that while falling you want to shoot a grapple gun at the dwarf friend that got you in this mess?  Or do you mean that while falling in tandem, you want to position yourself so that you and the concrete are the bread, and the dwarf is the meat?

The second one  ;D
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Forrest

• Omae
« Reply #64 on: <05-18-14/0204:57> »
Probably use something like a grqpple roll at a serious minus since there is nothing to brace on, and your strength plus successes have to exceed their physical limit.  Similar to throw person, just with some hefty penalties for being in midair

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #65 on: <05-18-14/0321:50> »
Yeah that's an awfully specific outside edge case.  I'd say whoever wins the test of Unarmed Combat + Strength (no point in Agility here) can get the other person to the bottom.  This goes back and forth until you hit the ground.  Good luck.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #66 on: <05-18-14/0557:25> »
Here's the first draft, still incomplete. If you think anything is missing, please note it in the other topic.

Attributes:
   Augmentations
- Augmented Maximum: p94: This is your natural (unboosted) Attribute value + 4, NOT your racial maximum + 4. Note that this limit only applies to Augmentations ('Ware), and anything else that actively states they obey Augmented Maximum, like the magical abilities/spells that raise Attributes. This means that Drugs, by confirmed developer intent, ignore it.

This one i dont get it. Is this a errata?

I have seen that people have taken page 94 as the rules for Augmented maximun even though the wording and the place have problems.

Keep in mind there are three restrictions* when it
comes to purchasing gear. First, when purchasing augmentations**
such as cyberware and bioware, each attribute
rating (Mental and Physical) can only receive an
augmentation bonus of up to +4. If the attribute being
raised has not reached its natural maximum limit, the
attribute can be raised naturally with Karma; but at no
point can augmentations exceed the +4 bonus cap. The
second restriction is that at normal character creation,
characters are restricted to a maximum Availability rating
of 12 and a device rating of 6. After character creation,
characters may be able to acquire gear that has a
higher Availability (p. 416) and a higher device rating.
Finally, all gear is subject to gamemaster approval, even
if the gear falls within these restrictions.

* Problem with this is that this rules are for Character creation and it talks about 3 restrictions which while number 3 is universal number 2 dissappears as soon as the game start.

** And because it said augmentations. And never mention limits wouldnt that mean i could for example make an adept with 7 power points and raise in 7 my magic?

As for that "errata" im confused as to what does that mean?  Lets say i have a vanilla humans A:

Human A starts the game with 3 in body so would his augmented maximun would be? 7 or "up to 7"?

If it were 7 that would mean i could put during play up to 7 point of attributes with ware/magic for a total of 10

If it were "up to 7" that would mean that i could  put during play up to 4 points of attributes with ware/magic for a total of 7.

And if i were to spend karma to raise the body of human A to 4 does that mean the augmented maximun also goes up?

Im confuse as to why there isnt the usual static number for augmented maximun of SR4, it seem more simpler and straigh foward :/
Okay, what. Seriously, I really don't get what message you're trying to convey here.

Let's start with what I DO understand: No, Augmented Maximum is NOT only a chargen thing. Note that restriction 2 is stated to be during chargen, no such statement is made about Augmented Maximum.

Furthermore, I don't get why you're talking about taking ware and raising the total. It's quite clear: You take your NATURAL value, add 4, and that's your Augmented Maximum. So a Street Sam with 5 Strength has 9 as Augmented Maximum. If he has 5(6) Body due to Suprathyroid Gland, the Increase Body spell has to be cast at Force 6+ and can only give him 3 more points to the Augmented Maximum of 5(9).

And yes, that means raising your NATURAL value with karma means the Augmented Maximum goes up. That kinda is the idea of Natural value.

By the way, I disagree with your simpler-statement. NV+4 is much easier than RacialMax*1.5. Especially since it avoids the whole "I got 5 Agility and Muscle Toner 4, so there's no need to raise my Agility to 6 since 9 is my max anyway".

As for the freefalling, if you're rappelling fast by rope it'd help.

One more for the Controverses: Edge & Actions. (Can you use Edge on rolls resulting from an initial edged roll.)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shamie

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <05-18-14/0852:30> »
Okay, what. Seriously, I really don't get what message you're trying to convey here.

Let's start with what I DO understand: No, Augmented Maximum is NOT only a chargen thing. Note that restriction 2 is stated to be during chargen, no such statement is made about Augmented Maximum.

Furthermore, I don't get why you're talking about taking ware and raising the total. It's quite clear: You take your NATURAL value, add 4, and that's your Augmented Maximum. So a Street Sam with 5 Strength has 9 as Augmented Maximum. If he has 5(6) Body due to Suprathyroid Gland, the Increase Body spell has to be cast at Force 6+ and can only give him 3 more points to the Augmented Maximum of 5(9).

And yes, that means raising your NATURAL value with karma means the Augmented Maximum goes up. That kinda is the idea of Natural value.

By the way, I disagree with your simpler-statement. NV+4 is much easier than RacialMax*1.5. Especially since it avoids the whole "I got 5 Agility and Muscle Toner 4, so there's no need to raise my Agility to 6 since 9 is my max anyway".

As for the freefalling, if you're rappelling fast by rope it'd help.

One more for the Controverses: Edge & Actions. (Can you use Edge on rolls resulting from an initial edged roll.)
The first part was my confusion as to why people keep marking page 94 as the rule for augmented maximum

My confusion came when i look up Augmented maximum people send me to page 94. And the section is in Chargen in the same "group" as a rule that dissapears after Chargen (the rule being the limitation of availability) and say rule only talks about buying augmentation not adept powers. So now i get that that what you put is an errata and is now  the replacement of the rule.

The other part was me asking how the new rule worked as the number is no longer static but instead it depends on the natural attribute.

i get what you say about the new rule being better than the static number in SR4, didnt though of that. However one friend pointed out that a cyber arm now is worse than muscle toner because you could get a +4 with while the limit of a cyber arm is +3 so a metal arm has less potential strength than a meat muscles.

All true.  After having some discussions with one of the developers of the martial arts, it appears that there was some decision-making about how to handle the rules for the new techniques, especially with regards to the Rolling Cloud, Leaping Mantis, and Monkey Climb techniques.  Some developers wanted to have a skill check involved in the process of using the techniques, others were against that idea.  It appears the latter group won the argument.

I believe part of the confusion and frustration is clearly illustrated on page 134, wherein Rappelling and Climbing Failures and Glitches are both described as affiliated with Gymnastics skill, despite neither section talking about Gymnastics.  They're both Free-fall related sections.

The reason why a troll can survive that fall better than an elf is straightforward enough: the troll is tougher.  Falling 10 meters straight down...  you're not likely to walk away unharmed no matter how much you can roll forward to help disperse the kinetic energy of the fall.  At a certain point, there's no saving yourself.

This article actually does a pretty good job of explaining what I mean.  The rules allow you to try to grab objects, and you can easily rule a fall being broken into smaller parts by simply making the falling person take damage at multiple points in smaller chunks.  If you're falling 10 meters, you take 10 points of damage.  If you're falling 2 meters 5 times, odds are really good you can resist the 2 points of damage often enough to be unscathed.

If you fall straight down 10 meters, you're going to hurt yourself.  Plain and simple.

i agreed, falling straigh down 10 meters should be resisted with body. But like the player in my game said "are you saying i have 10 in Agi and 6 in gymnastic with a parkour specialization and there is nothing i can do to avoid getting hurt? Can grab a ledge or roll in the propper way or anything? So i basically i just waste 16 points + 1 specialization"

So basically the falls short in that one and i have to make my own rules for that one.

For what is worth my idea for that one is gonna be:

Breaking fall test: Agi + Gymnastic (3) [physical] Complex action or a simple action with Agi + Gymnastic [physical]
Every net hit reduces the falling distance in a 1 for 1 basis.
If the player use the simple action optio and the distance shortened is more than safe distance of the character then he has to resist the distance as falling damage. On a glitch you fall half the total distance and resist damage and make an Agi + Gymnastic (5) [physical] or fall the entire distance.
On a critical glitch you fall the entire distance and resist damage.

For example a character jump from a 3rd floor with a lets say distance of 15 meters. He has light body 2 so his safe distance is 5 instead of the usual 3.
He falls and makes the breaking fall test as a complex action and get 3 net hits so he reduces the fall to 12 meters. Then he gets sees the guy he is chasing running away and decides to speed the process and makes the roll as a simple action and get 7 successes so he descends 7 meters which is 2 more than his safe distance (of 5) so he has to save 7 DV with AP -4. He resist and now he has still 5 meters to fall but as that is inside his safe range he falls those last 5 without a problem.

This rule is subjected to the possibility of the PC being able to break fall.
« Last Edit: <05-18-14/1009:06> by Shamie »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #68 on: <05-18-14/1029:10> »
The first part was my confusion as to why people keep marking page 94 as the rule for augmented maximum

My confusion came when i look up Augmented maximum people send me to page 94. And the section is in Chargen in the same "group" as a rule that dissapears after Chargen (the rule being the limitation of availability) and say rule only talks about buying augmentation not adept powers. So now i get that that what you put is an errata and is now  the replacement of the rule.

i get what you say about the new rule being better than the static number in SR4, didnt though of that. However one friend pointed out that a cyber arm now is worse than muscle toner because you could get a +4 with while the limit of a cyber arm is +3 so a metal arm has less potential strength than a meat muscles.
It's not an errata.

The other rule is actively labelled as going away after chargen, so this rule doesn't have that consequence.

The rule is exactly as it stands at page 94: Augmented Maximum is Natural Value +4. This value is obeyed by Augmentations, as page 94 notes, and anything else that actively states it follows it, which those things refer to and not page 94. Some Adept Powers and Spells state they obey Augmented Maximum, which is Natural Value +4 max, and as such they follow it. Anything non-ware that does NOT state it follows it, won't follow it. So the statement in question is not an errata'd version of page 94, it simply combines page 94 with the descriptions of the magical boosts and developer explanation about drugs.

As for your friend, he's wrong. Cyberarms do NOT follow Augmented Maximum. That clarification is on the future list, under easily missed rules and under houserules. So short version is that a Cyberlimb caps at Natural Maximum + 3, while Augmentations cap at Natural Current Value + 4, which may be more or less or the same. Potential is less, but actual current maximum is more for some builds.

Shamie

• Omae
« Reply #69 on: <05-18-14/1232:41> »

The rule is exactly as it stands at page 94: Augmented Maximum is Natural Value +4. This value is obeyed by Augmentations, as page 94 notes, and anything else that actively states it follows it, which those things refer to and not page 94. Some Adept Powers and Spells state they obey Augmented Maximum, which is Natural Value +4 max, and as such they follow it. Anything non-ware that does NOT state it follows it, won't follow it. So the statement in question is not an errata'd version of page 94, it simply combines page 94 with the descriptions of the magical boosts and developer explanation about drugs.

It is possible im having a bad print of the book? Because i run a find in the PDF and my print copy and never found the term Augmente Maximun

This is the rule that i have:

Keep in mind there are three restrictions when it
comes to purchasing gear. First, when purchasing augmentations
augmentation bonus of up to +4. If the attribute being
point can augmentations exceed the +4 bonus cap.

But as written it doesn't refer to augmented maximum in any place. I get that what you put is the correct interpretation but how is that not an errata? The core rulebook makes reference to a term that doesn't get a definition or better said doesnt exist in the book (for example the adept powers). You posted a definition of said term. that isnt an errata?  :-\

As for your friend, he's wrong. Cyberarms do NOT follow Augmented Maximum. That clarification is on the future list, under easily missed rules and under houserules. So short version is that a Cyberlimb caps at Natural Maximum + 3, while Augmentations cap at Natural Current Value + 4, which may be more or less or the same. Potential is less, but actual current maximum is more for some builds.

im confused by this one. a human can have an arm with a maximun agility of 9 because i can customize it to 6 because anything more would render it unusable. But them i could only up to +3 with cyberlimb enhancement which is the maximum one can upgrade the limb (page 457) so i would end up with agility in one arm to its maximun of 9

on the other hand

augmentation caps at natural current value + 4. So if start with 6 in agility and put +4 with muscle toner and get total of 10 to agility.

So how is the metal arm potentially better than the muscle toner? Did i miss something?  :-[

« Last Edit: <05-18-14/1244:03> by Shamie »

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #70 on: <05-18-14/1249:38> »

It is possible im having a bad print of the book? Because i run a find in the PDF and my print copy and never found the term Augmente Maximun

This is the rule that i have:

Keep in mind there are three restrictions when it
comes to purchasing gear. First, when purchasing augmentations
augmentation bonus of up to +4
. If the attribute being
point can augmentations exceed the +4 bonus cap.

But as written it doesn't refer to augmented maximum in any place. I get that what you put is the correct interpretation but how is that not an errata? The core rulebook makes reference to a term that doesn't get a definition or better said doesnt exist in the book (for example the adept powers). You posted a definition of said term. that isnt an errata?  :-\

I bolded the part that deals with the augmented maximum.

It confused me as well until he pointed out which page.

Demon_Bob

• Newb
« Reply #71 on: <05-18-14/1259:28> »
Yeah that's an awfully specific outside edge case.  I'd say whoever wins the test of Unarmed Combat + Strength (no point in Agility here) can get the other person to the bottom.  This goes back and forth until you hit the ground.  Good luck.

Probably use something like a grapple roll at a serious minus since there is nothing to brace on, and your strength plus successes have to exceed their physical limit.  Similar to throw person, just with some hefty penalties for being in midair

Sounds like a good way to go with this.
Not sure if I use any minuses, although certain martial techniques would help.  It seems better if it was on opposed test.
Although I allow a gymnastics test to add dice to the Unarmed Combat roll as part of gymnastics is knowing where the ground is enough to help you land properly.  "Ground sense" as I've heard it called can be enough to change it from a good landing to almost landing on your feet and falling down (or worse your head).  It seems like it might be obvious but with all the spinning, flipping, and twisting in the relatively short amount of time you might be airborne can cause you to lose track just long enough to cause a concussion.  Especially if during a good part of the time your falling you panic.
« Last Edit: <05-18-14/1303:39> by Demon_Bob »

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #72 on: <05-18-14/1316:28> »
Shock gloves and stun batons don't stage damage with net hits when used for a touch attack.

Incorrect.  In the other thread you were citing an optional action for a touch attack with shock gloves.  Standard action (without the +2 dice) you certainly do get net hits added to DV, same as any other weapon.

I think this should be one of "easily missed rules" though, as it seems several people say that action and got similarly confused. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #73 on: <05-18-14/1325:06> »
that isnt an errata?  :-\
Given how I have absolutely zero rights to make any official statement about the rules, yes, it isn't an errata. Now there's some spells refering to Augmented Maximum, and people familiar with the earlier editions are looking for the number, so refering to it as such seems like the best idea, even if page 94 doesn't call it that.

As for the cyberlimb: Yes, if you have 6 Agility, Ware caps you at 10. What about if you have 3? Like I said: "Potential is less, but actual current maximum is more for some builds."

Sir_Prom, I'm adding it to the controverses, since the rules are far from clear on the matter. It can be read both ways, unfortunately.

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #74 on: <05-18-14/1330:08> »
You're going to have to explain to me how it can be read both ways.  "touch Only attack", which is an optional action, pg. 124, Run & gun, is quite clear on both the advantages and disadvantages:  It gives you +2 dice, and you don't get net hits added to DV.  There is nothing ambiguous there.