NEWS

Rainforest Carbine

• 23 Replies

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« on: <01-09-14/1135:05> »

Does anyone think this gun has weird stats?
I assume it uses longarms not automatics skill.

g
wdg

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <01-09-14/1147:03> »
There's been topics about it, odds are its stats will be adjusted in the future. Making it a longarm wouldn't solve things, since it'd still be much cheaper than the worse sniper rifles.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <01-09-14/2108:16> »
You have a point. Though I'm wondering if maybe it should use longarms regardless of what happens with the stats. In the name of common sense.
wdg

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-09-14/2136:45> »
Accuracy 5, DV 14P, AP -2, SA, 12R, 4,000 Nuyen.

There's no reason a Carbine should be as accurate as a sniper rifle, that's nonsense. But judging from the 4th edition stats (which look fine), it was intended to sacrifice burst fire for the ability to jump from Assault Rifle damage to the damage of a Ranger Arms sniper rifle. However, in 4th edition it still had the same AP as its fellow assault rifles, and had a much more reasonable availability and price.

So that's my suggestion for the errata. Needs to lose 2 accuracy and 2 AP, and increase the availability and price.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <01-11-14/1400:56> »
Is that published in gun heaven?  SR5 content?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <01-11-14/1514:44> »
Yes. Personally I expect it to be changed in errata. Since it's an e-book, I hope it will not be a lengthy ordeal.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-11-14/1858:11> »
I'm hoping it does get changed. I really liked the idea of a gun that trades burst for some extra base damage, but buying this gun will make me feel dirty.

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-21-14/2030:31> »
I agree two-fold. I'm pretty confident this will get errataed, and I would really feel like I did something wrong if I were to ever buy this gun. Like kicking a puppy or something...
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-21-14/2042:56> »
The way I am dealing with the weapon is before it gets produced I will have my shadow team make a run against the R&D center which produced it... Put some nasty virus from a rival corp. weapon will not see street date till they redo the design.... Which will take the company as long as it takes for Errata to appear.

Reason why I want to play it this way is it gives my runners a chance to remove the item from the world, instead of me just banning or changing the stats.

My biggest hope is that this might be adopted by other tables :)

Cheers,
      Frankie

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #9 on: <01-22-14/0022:35> »
The way I am dealing with the weapon is before it gets produced I will have my shadow team make a run against the R&D center which produced it... Put some nasty virus from a rival corp. weapon will not see street date till they redo the design.... Which will take the company as long as it takes for Errata to appear.

Reason why I want to play it this way is it gives my runners a chance to remove the item from the world, instead of me just banning or changing the stats.

Cheers,
      Frankie

Dude, I like that idea.  I might have to try that out actually.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #10 on: <01-23-14/1400:07> »

Cheers,
      Frankie
Sounds like a solution to me if my SR5 group had continued.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #11 on: <01-23-14/1411:10> »
But judging from the 4th edition stats (which look fine), it was intended to sacrifice burst fire for the ability to jump from Assault Rifle damage to the damage of a Ranger Arms sniper rifle. However, in 4th edition it still had the same AP as its fellow assault rifles, and had a much more reasonable availability and price.

That sounds logical...  It was probably caused by the awkwardness of making something focused on a mechanic that works differently between editions.  Namely that in 5th edition, there's no "narrow burst" option to simply increase the damage, meaning making it only SA essentially reduced it's DV by like 6.  I guess they tried to compensate for that in 5th edition too even though it was unneeded.

Also, the fact that it just ends up being a semi-automatic rifle but still uses Automatics seems really weird to me...  I always assumed it was the firing modes were why weapons got put into the Automatics skill, so I would probably houserule it to use Longarms.  Or add a rule like how Machine Pistols can be used with the Pistols skill if they're fired on SA only.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <01-23-14/1528:16> »
Except that there's also BF Pistols and Longarms.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #13 on: <01-23-14/1530:52> »
That's true...  In fact, I think I remember there being a FA shotgun in 4th edition.  Nevermind then, I guess.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-23-14/1741:42> »
The Mossberg AM-CMDT shotgun in the core rulebook had fire modes from SA to FA.

Pistols that had burst fire but were not considered automatics include: Yamaha Sakura Fubuki (S4A), Beretta 200ST (Arsenal), and the Ares Viper Silvergun heavy pistol (again S4A core book). Machine Pistols that lacked FA include: Ceska Black Scorpion (S4A), and the Ares Crusader and FN 5-7C from Arsenal. Minor variations in base DV (average -1) and ammo clip capacity (average +15) - things that already varied from weapon to weapon in the same group - were only differentiated by the skill you used to spit lead.

I'm starting to agree with the other posters here who say that Automatics should be folded into the Pistols and Longarms skill and Automatics should be the skill for Machine Guns.